Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bighorn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Going to do 7 species of the Tiny Ten on the next trip to Africa after Mozambique. My SA outfitter recommends .375 with solids (ouch). I understand why, these little critters are easy to tear up. He is not a big fan of smaller calibers, with any bullet.I have asked him about using my .30-06 with solids. He says, no problem. Now- finding solids for .375 is no big deal. Finding solids or FMJ, outside military ammo, is a bit bigger problem. I'm already going to be taking my .375 and .30-06 on this safari.

Suggestions, comments, advice? Thanks.

Last edited by Bighorn; 08/20/17.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Woodleigh makes a 220 grain solid for the .30 calibers.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...er-220-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Could probably use a shotgun on a few of those species (Blue Duiker, Red Duiker, Grysbok). Klipspringer, Oribi and Vaal Rhebok will be hunted at much longer ranges so you will need something with more reach. Maybe look at a tougher, bonded bullet for your 30-06 as they can act like a solid on smaller game.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 17 HMR or even a .22 WMR would suffice fine.....I used a Model 92 winchester in 25-20 loaded with 60 grain hornady bullets on Duiker and it worked just fine.

On an ensuing trip I just might look into a 17 HMR or a .22 hornet It's not hard to find solids for the hornet.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Going to do 7 species of the Tiny Ten on the next trip to Africa after Mozambique. My SA outfitter recommends .375 with solids (ouch). I understand why, these little critters are easy to tear up. He is not a big fan of smaller calibers, with any bullet.I have asked him about using my .30-06 with solids. He says, no problem. Now- finding solids for .375 is no big deal. Finding solids or FMJ, outside military ammo, is a bit bigger problem. I'm already going to be taking my .375 and .30-06 on this safari.

Suggestions, comments, advice? Thanks.

Cutting Edge bullets makes solids for both of those calibers.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have shot the 180 copper CEB solids for a 300WM. Very accurate very close POI to the 168TSX I mostly use out to reasonable distances.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shot a Duiker @ 190 yards with a 30-06 loaded with 180 grain Nosler Partitons and it didn't tear up much at all; killed him DRT, but no large exit hole. But I said right after the safari, that if I go back to Africa I will only bring one gun, my 375 H&H and have 260 grain Nosler Solids available for the smaller stuff.

Last edited by sbrmike; 08/22/17.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Your 375 H&H Magnum with solids would be a good choice but it appears you don't want to use it much.

If you reload, it's not hard to find .308 caliber FMJ bullets; Hornady makes one in the 150 grain variety. If you don't reload and don't wish to use 30/06 military ammunition, your next best choice would be factory ammunition loaded with 220 grain bullets.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Today I went to the range with my '06, and some factory Federal American Eagle ammo, loaded with 150 gr. FMJ BT bullets. First 3-shot group went .87"! Two more shots opened it up to an inch. My rifle is a Browning X-Bolt, which with scope and mounts tips the scale at just under 7.5 lbs. Recoil with these 150 gr. FMJ bullets is mild, certainly more enjoyable to shoot than anything out of my .375.

My quest for an acceptable rifle/bullet combo for the Tiny Ten may be over.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have not shot the tiny ten, but I chased Steinbok and Duikers in Namibia on my only trip to Africa and enjoyed it immensely. When i got back i bought a drilling in 16 gauge and 7x57r with a 5.6x50R full length insert specifically as a small antelope gun. It does not look like I'll get back, but if i do, I'll be taking that little Sauer. They are not hard to kill; they are small, they don't stand still, they are usually in the brush. A small bore rifle and a shotgun seem to be a perfect solution, to me.
I have an acquaintance who was seriously stricken with the little antelope. He took many with whatever he had at the time. The last three i recall he took with a beat up old single shot shotgun that the PH supplies. That trip had been a dedicated tiny antelope safari.

I think the real Secret is to take a good attitude and whatever gun you like
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image]

A Klipspringer taken at 180 yards with a 460 S&W Magnum shooting 250 gr. Hornady SST/ML bullets.

[Linked Image]

A Duiker taken with a 444 Marlin handgun shooting 285 gr. Hornady FTX bullets.

[Linked Image]

The 444 Marlin also works well for Kudu.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you're hunting in dangerous game country where you could walk into a pissed off buffalo or elephant, then the .375 with solids is the best choice. I've shot a few with that combo with very little damage. If you're not in dangerous game country, then a .22 Hornet with a 45 grain soft point (not plastic-tipped) will work very well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Are cast bullets for either your '06 or .375 an option you'd consider?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Are cast bullets for either your '06 or .375 an option you'd consider?

Tom

Tom, I think my search for bullets is pretty much over- I have discussed my choice of the .30-06 with my PH, and he is in agreement that the FMJ bullets I have will be just the thing to use. I am having a dial cut for my Leupold CDS scope for this load, which will let me reach out if need be for Klipspringer or Reebucks. This factory ammo is proving to be sub-MOA accurate in my Browning X-Bolt.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have used a 22 Hornet with great success on Klipspringer , Dyker , small monkeys .

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Kudu1
I have used a 22 Hornet with great success on Klipspringer , Dyker , small monkeys .

Since the OP's question was specific to the tiny ten, a .22 hornet is an obvious choice. I've killed animals as large as bushbuck with no drama. Great topic.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

A 357 Mag rifle loaded with heavy bullets is very good. In many examples they can be quite accurate, and they penetrate well with no "blow-up" and no appreciable hide damage.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by szihn

A 357 Mag rifle loaded with heavy bullets is very good. In many examples they can be quite accurate, and they penetrate well with no "blow-up" and no appreciable hide damage.

Not sure about the reasonability of a .357 rifle for the tiny ten. Secondly, most, if not all of the tiny ten antelopes are opportunistic "pick-ups" while hunting other stuff. There are some speciality hunts that use a shotgun or something. Blue Duiker or Suni come to mind. I've collected the tiny ten and I can only think of one, maaayyybe two that weren't killed with either a .375HH or a .300 Win Mag.

I've, at times had solids with me but things happen so quickly, that being able to change ammo or remember where in the rifle's magazine the solids are, isn't realistic. Just take a poke let the taxidermist earn his pay. eek

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 09/05/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.