Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Just bought a brand new 77/17 Hornet and brought it to the range today for the maiden voyage. After shooting the first round I noticed it had pretty heavy bolt lift but thought being brand new maybe I had to work through some of that as these 77s aren't the smoothest out of the box. I had loaded five rounds in the magazine and figured I'd finish them up. All fed fine but all had a heavy bolt lift. On shot five I pulled the trigger and got hit in the face with I'm assuming gasses and such. I ejected the case and this is what I found. After examining all the cases closer I noticed they all had a ring around the same spot but nothing like this one just a shiny spot on the brass.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by LowerRiver; 08/22/17.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy Headspace, Batman! eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Bob hosed you on your ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
looks bad! better get that headspace checked. that said i have had more trouble with hornady ammo then all other combined.
had some leverevloution 3030 that had splits from 1/16 below the mouth to the shoulders.
mic the remaining ammo and see if the shoulders are set back.
wear glasses!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a trip back to the factory.

1Minute
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Lol. Unfortunately Bobs is the only one local who has the ammo and that's where I bought the rifle so......

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Ruger has already responded with a pre paid label and instructions to return the rifle for service. I will definitely mic the ammo before sending the rifle away though.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is always a good idea to inspect brass when anything new is added to the equation.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good on them.

It is just amazing what happens sometimes when so much ammo was made so fast.

Wonder if they used bullseye powder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad no one was hurt. Would appreciate very much if you kept this thread up to date as you get answers. Folks need to know if there are problem rifles out there or problem ammo. Heck could be both but I doubt anyone would have that kind of bad luck. I will say in the past I have found Ruger's customer service second to none. I just hope it stays that way over time.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 08/22/17.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it just me, or does it seem like there's been a bit of bad occurrences with Bill Ruger's stuff lately?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
doesn't the hornet headspace on the rim?
looks to me like an ammo problem.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
After some searching on the webs I see this lot number on my Hornady ammo is a popular one. Not good either. A call to hornady is in order before shipping the gun off. I'll update as needed. Lot number is in the photo but for searching purposes it is 3151646

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Is it just me, or does it seem like there's been a bit of bad occurrences with Bill Ruger's stuff lately?

I guess I've missed a bunch, please enlighten us/me.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
looks like one of those rounds (black ring) actually had a case head seperation.

Rifle to Ruger...and...ammo to Hornady. This is not any where near normal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How's it shoot?

Good enough is good enough. smile

Not really. You have a major issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Probably headspacing on a too thin rim with not enough shoulder. Hornet brass is wimpy anyway. But apparently you have some stacked tolerances on BOTH ends.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm going to get some different ammo today and try again. It seems in the reading I've done that the ammo is the whole problem. Guys with CZs and Savages have experienced this same issue of heavy bolt lift and in extreme cases like mine they too had case head separation. I'll report back.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
I'm going to get some different ammo today and try again. It seems in the reading I've done that the ammo is the whole problem. Guys with CZs and Savages have experienced this same issue of heavy bolt lift and in extreme cases like mine they too had case head separation. I'll report back.

You just as well have written / typed, " I'm going to get some different ammo today and try again. Maybe this time I'll feel something beside gas on the side of my face,....Molten supersonic particles, knock an eye out,....who knows "

You've had REPEATED good advice here regarding having that thing checked out for bad headspace.

.........WTF come here and ask advice at all ?

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 08/23/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I appreciate your concern but I'm comfortable trying this based on the reading I've done. This identical situation has been explained by others with all types of rifles. The common denominator is the lot number on the ammo I have. I'll verify the lot number is the one with issues with Hornady before proceeding.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.