-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dead calm and overcast here in San Antonio, 78F at 4am. Radar shows outer rain bands arriving in Corpus. I'm waiting for that persistent, distinctive, steady breeze that signals the approach of these things. Fixing to ride my bike to the gym and then to work as per usual today though it will be a windy and wet ride home.this evening. No worries, the warm rain from tropical events is like being in the shower. There's a couple of spots where water pools where I'd just as soon wade through as drive my car through em. Of course downed trees and power outages are probable.

As of right now we ain't supposed to get hammered anything like those 75 miles southeast of here but 10 inches of rain in this flash flood prone city will shut us down. No worries on my account, I'm near the top of a hill on a lee (west facing) slope tho I do hope I still have an intact roof on Monday..

Took a while for folks to get alarmed around here but a big run on the stores around here late last night, all the bottled water cleaned out.

A bunch of upland sandpipers calling overhead heading south, if they play it right they could get a jet assist down into Mexico today.

All you guys south of here stay safe.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
A lot of Schools start or want to start Monday.

Stay safe out there fellas.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Damn, just saw it on the radar.....this thing is huge! described as the most powerful in 12 years.

Keep your heads down and stay safe boyz.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Starting to rain now. Checked radar, and the circulation bands of rain are starting to come through the area now.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just for perspective sake, Hurricane Ike in 2008 had a 22' surge as a Cat 2. If you live near sea level, or have to go through such areas to escape...get out. The rule is "run from the water, hide from the wind." Don't clog up the evacuation routes if you're on high ground. If you DO NOT expect to get back soon.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Just for perspective sake, Hurricane Ike in 2008 had a 22' surge as a Cat 2.

Yeah, I think the main danger with Harvey is going to be the slow movement and dumping rain on the same area for days. Still glad I'm not on the Bolivar Peninsula this week though... wink

Hope your boat is going to be OK, and you don't have major issues where you are, Pat.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
A lot of Schools start or want to start Monday.

Ya, according to the wager I'll be buying the breakfast tacos if we have school Monday. At this point I'm confident I get free tacos on Tuesday or Wednesday . There's an enormous amount of water coming ashore over the next couple of days.

Rog, I know you've had close calls before, I'm seriously hoping your house stays dry.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
should be ok Mike, flood map says i don't have to worry unless the surge is 20ft or over. the wind has me more concerned.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never had a divorce, but I've had several hurricanes. I understand they are a lot alike. They are difficult, but survivable, unless you do something stupid. Stay calm and be prepared to be on your own for A couple of long, hot days.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just for perspective sake, Hurricane Ike in 2008 had a 22' surge as a Cat 2. If you live near sea level, or have to go through such areas to escape...get out. The rule is "run from the water, hide from the wind." Don't clog up the evacuation routes if you're on high ground. If you DO NOT expect to get back soon.

On the other hand, "Super Storm Sandy" had a 3' surge and was the end of the world. smile

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never had a divorce, but I've had several hurricanes. I understand they are a lot alike. They are difficult, but survivable, unless you do something stupid. Stay calm and be prepared to be on your own for A couple of long, hot days.

That will account for most of any deaths or injuries, and almost all rescues.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE

No doubt! laugh

Saw a story on this on Weather Nation last night and they said the vast majority of drownings in events like this happen in their cars...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First rain bands just hit here in George West, about 45 miles north of Corpus Christi.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by RWE

No doubt! laugh

Saw a story on this on Weather Nation last night and they said the vast majority of drownings in events like this happen in their cars...

It's true, but it's not always stupid people that do stupid things under stress. Many people will be in denial until the water starts coming up, then they panic.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I live 40 miles northwest of Houston. We gonna get wet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
I live 40 miles northwest of Houston. We gonna get wet.

Ouch...Charlie Foxtrot time.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by RWE

No doubt! laugh

It's true, but it's not always stupid people that do stupid things under stress. Many people will be in denial until the water starts coming up, then they panic.

Yea, they try to be a hero and ride it out when they live 8' above sea level and they might have a 12' surge. Then it's too late.

You guys be safe down there and good luck. I'll be thinking about you.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another thing to consider before you leave, is that every thief in South Texas is heading in while you're headed out and the popo will be busy with a LOT of things.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Another thing to consider before you leave, is that every thief in South Texas is heading in while you're headed out and the popo will be busy with a LOT of things.

That's what I told wifey yesterday evening.

Her sister and sister's husband bugged out of Victoria and went north of Austin. They have a veritable treasure trove of everything from guns to gold in their house. Kinda like preppers. Then leave it all to the mercy of others...

Not to mention my mother and father in law that are in their 90's...

Oh well...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
lol i have 2 870s and a ar15 that will be loaded.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (300_savage, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,054
Posts18,521,335
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.