Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

The only clothing I've hunted in for over 25 years. Some bought at a military surplus store, some bought at Sportsman Guide (I think). memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Finding genuine original U.S. military surplus clothing still in decent usable condition can be near impossible in the larger sizes.
Small and medium in short and regular lengths is fairly common but not so in large and tall sizes.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
In my internet travels tonight I was able to purchase a new (without tags) pair of Woolrich Malone wool pants in my waist size for $20.00 plus shipping. Those pants go for $175.00 in stores. This is the second pair of of Woolrich Malone pants I've purchased on ebay for $20.00 plus shipping - these are Adirondack Plaid and the prior pair was black and red plaid. Either these pants do not sell all that well on the second hand market or some sellers don't know the value of what they are selling. These are 18 oz. 85% wool.

Check ebay once a month for good gear in your size and you'll be surprised what you will find.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Field trousers, wool M-1951, US Army. I grew up in, arguably the coldest place in the lower 48 and became obsessed with staying warm. If you put these trousers over garden variety long johns and under 1000 cordura chaps, you will be warm and protected from wild rose bushes. If it is too cold for this, check into a mental hospital, you have a death wish.

Wear your Filson whippies to church, they're too expensive for the bush.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The cheapest way to get good lightish wool pants is at the local Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Just go to the dress pants/suits section. Great quality, lightweight wool for a couple of bucks.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Field trousers, wool M-1951, US Army. I grew up in, arguably the coldest place in the lower 48 and became obsessed with staying warm. If you put these trousers over garden variety long johns and under 1000 cordura chaps, you will be warm and protected from wild rose bushes. If it is too cold for this, check into a mental hospital, you have a death wish.

I googled those pants and found that they can be found for $20.00 and in virtually every size. Don't know how heavy they are but based on the photos they look thick. Nice find.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RollingThunder
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

I googled those pants and found that they can be found for $20.00 and in virtually every size. Don't know how heavy they are but based on the photos they look thick. Nice find.

They are plenty heavy, but the real value is in the TIGHT twill weave that makes them virtually wind proof. I love their thermal properties without the bulk of the Malone style pants. Risk $20, you won't regret it. ;-{>8 I bought a rubbermaid tub full of them for about $8 a pair, twenty plus years ago and haven't worn out a pair yet. Grandkids will inherit them.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...urplus-uniform-field-pants-new?a=1886860
For the price worth a shot.

In my limited experience I have come to prefer thinner wool dress pants combined with Kuiu merino zip off 145 bottoms.
Good for me down to about 25 degrees.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=wool+pants

When really cold I prefer the windproof cabelas wooltimates pants with the same merino bottoms.

These two setups cover everything I will see here in the northeast.
I have a Johnson Woolen jacket and weave is not that tight.
I have a Filson mackinaw vest, nice tight weave and weight. Would be nice for cold weather but would not be windproof.
---Just my opinion

Last edited by rjf611; 08/24/17.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I got a pair of German or such, for around $10, that I wear snowmobiling. You have to choose the correct long john. I wool is tough and quite. But it tends to need the correct layer underneath. The stuff I have is not that thick. I wear alot of wool. I like buying old stuff on ebay that is American made.

Obvipusly different grades of wool. Some of it is very soft and needs no base layer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be sure and take a bunch of b3 vitamins when u wear them...keep u warm ...call me....mr helper !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
17 years ago I bought several pairs of the Swedish army wool trousers. They have cargo pockets, which I like, and have yet to wear out.

Last edited by pabucktail; 08/24/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer wool dress pants like these unless it gets real cold. They won't roast you in higher temps but are still warm and very durable. I'm comfortable in them up to about 70F. A pair of good long johns under them will be warm to way down there. I've been comfortable in them down to 0 with just a pair of polypros under them. I wash them in cold water and hang dry. Put them in a drier and they won't fit your daughter's Ken doll.
WOOL PANTS

NOTE: One of the reviews says that on the L size, the waist is 35" and inseam 32".

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by arkypete
I bought E. German wool pants for hunting 25 years ago from Sportsman Guide. Loved them wonderful.

Same here. Still have them.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Codet makes a solid bit of gear. It is a bit on the heavy side. Comfort and durability are quite good. Milsurp wool gear is a trip to the Fleet/Farm away here in NE WI. Most of it is anywhere from good to excellent, especially given the price.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by trplem
Codet makes a solid bit of gear. It is a bit on the heavy side. Comfort and durability are quite good. Milsurp wool gear is a trip to the Fleet/Farm away here in NE WI. Most of it is anywhere from good to excellent, especially given the price.

It needs to be on the heavy side for late November deer hunting in New York State. The trick is not to get sweaty on the way to your stand. It takes me an hour to get to mine and no matter how slow I walk I'm sweating pretty good. Most of the terrain is fairly steep and uphill. No way around it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Any thoughts on the Codet Big Bill Woodsman pants? I found these online.

https://secure.armysurplusforless.com/productView.php?id=382#Charcoal Plaid

$85.00 for 28 oz. 100% wool pants seems like a great deal. Anyone have any experience with this brand? Thoughts?

I have them and a pair of bibs. They're tough, quiet, and I don't usually hunt without them unless its in the 40's.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Any thoughts on the Codet Big Bill Woodsman pants? I found these online.

https://secure.armysurplusforless.com/productView.php?id=382#Charcoal Plaid

$85.00 for 28 oz. 100% wool pants seems like a great deal. Anyone have any experience with this brand? Thoughts?

I have them and a pair of bibs. They're tough, quiet, and I don't usually hunt without them unless its in the 40's.

100% wool in that thickness for just $85.00 is a tremendous bargain.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by trplem

It needs to be on the heavy side for late November deer hunting in New York State. The trick is not to get sweaty on the way to your stand. It takes me an hour to get to mine and no matter how slow I walk I'm sweating pretty good. Most of the terrain is fairly steep and uphill. No way around it.

You'll definitely like them then-my Dad from Cazenovia was the one that introduced me to the brand. We both own a pair, and find they work great with a light base layer. Coincidentally, we hunt the driftless zone,about 6 miles south of Cazenovia, WI.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The M-1951 pants are 17 oz. whipcord and are the same weight as the discontinued Filson pants. They are cut weird to me, think 1950 Abbot and Costello high waist, and I had a tailor lower the waist to a more modern style. They are bullet proof and quite warm without a lot of bulk.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Docbill
The M-1951 pants are 17 oz. whipcord and are the same weight as the discontinued Filson pants. They are cut weird to me, think 1950 Abbot and Costello high waist, and I had a tailor lower the waist to a more modern style. They are bullet proof and quite warm without a lot of bulk.

When I'm in the woods and it's brutally cold I want the high waist. Especially if I'm sitting on the ground as is often the case. I tried bibs for this very reason by never did like the way they felt.

I still can't get over the $20.00 cost for pants that will outlast the wearer. With several pairs there's no need to worry about wearing yesterday's wet wool pants.

I'm glad I started this thread. So much good info.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,127
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.