Campfire Regular
D
I am looking to buy a vortex pst 6-24 ffp gen 1 or a Scheels rage 5-20 2nd fp
The Scheels is made by vortex hst body with pst glass $599
The pst $849
Both new
Just wondering if the extra 4 magnification and ffp is worth the extra $250
I don't have experience with ffp scopes to know the difference
It would be going on my hunting rifle, a tikka 7mm mag, shots out to 700-800 yards
Thanks for the advice in advance
Dan

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dislike the FFP scopes. Can't see the reticle on low power and it covers up too much of the target when it is turned up. If you aren't going to twist, you can get a Bushnell 4 1/2-30X50 with the 600DOA reticle for under $900. The glass is definitely better than any Vortex I have compared it to in side by side outside the store comparison. That includes the Vortex Razor 5-20X50.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure which vortex pst 6-24 ffp gen 1 you're looking at, however, $849.00 is steep
we have the:
Viper PST-43128 6-24x50 FFP - EBR-2C MRAD for $769.99
&
Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP - EBR-1 MRAD & Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP - EBR-1 MOA for $749.99

Please give me or Neil a call to discuss it

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Why do you want a 6-24 or 5-20 on a hunting rifle? I have to ask. Is this a specialty rifle set up for long range,in which case I would assume you would know more about what you would need for that situation, or are you fairly new to guns and hunting and thinking this is what you need. If the former,then I apologize,but if the latter,I think you should reassess your choices for a hunting gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you going to be hunting/shooting at 800 yards?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan700mn,

Buy what you want, not what others tell you you need. Many people wonder why I don't get a 4 1/2-14X of 4-12X or 4-16X. My argument is I have those inside the scope I use. I established a minimum field of view I can live with and that is about 20' at 100 yards. With this I can and have easily got on deer when a bedded deer jumped up at fifty FEET. I did the fixed 4X and the 3-9X and 3-10X and found them lacking when I want to really look at a deer across the canyon.

You folks who want to attack, please don't waist your typing. I find animals with my binoculars and then take a closer look with the scope. After all I might actually shoot the deer.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yes,get what you want,but also make sure you are making a well informed decision. I doubt you will find anyone here other than Ringman who wants to hunt with a 5-25X scope. His preference for high magnification is well known here,but not shared my many if any.

If I am wrong in my estimation of that assessment,then I hope several will post to correct me. No offense intended to Ringman at all, he knows what he likes and why.I just think he is the exception rather than the standard.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I will be shooting antelope, deer, elk and targets
I generally keep my scope on 6 power when hunting and turn up when needed
Not necessarily at 800 yards but I know the possibility is there and want to be ready for it.
I have a few 4.5-14 and 4-16 scopes and just want a bit more magnifacition for the times it would come in handy.
I know I won't be disappointed with either scope power wise 5-20 or 6-24
Just don't know if the ffp is that important.

If I'm hunting where it will be close action I take a different gun.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
After owning both FFP and SFP scopes, I prefer SFP. I shoot at known distances, and if I plan on hunting and taking shots at 350+, I'll have time to whip out the rangefinder and get my distance. Esp in low light, if im dialed way down on FFP, the reticle can be difficult to see if it isn't illuminated, just one more thing to worry about. Like the rest have said, get what you prefer. Go to the store and play with each on. Dial the mag all the way down on the FFP and get an idea how small the reticle may be.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Go to the store and play with each on. Dial the mag all the way down on the FFP and get an idea how small the reticle may be.

Or maybe watch it disappear completely.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would avoid first focal plane, unless you enjoy frustration from having your target obliterated by a swelling reticle.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ringman
Go to the store and play with each on. Dial the mag all the way down on the FFP and get an idea how small the reticle may be.

Originally Posted by StrayDog
I would avoid first focal plane, unless you enjoy frustration from having your target obliterated by a swelling reticle.

Haven't used very many FFP scopes, have we...?

Last edited by Formidilosus; 08/27/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Enough to know positively I don't like them. In fact I will go so far as to say I dislike them.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Enough to know positively I don't like them. In fact I will go so far as to say I dislike them.

I may dislike and mistrust some people who like them for long range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
StrayDog,

I may dislike and mistrust some people who like them for long range.

I know only one person who uses one. I don't dislike him. Mistrust: You bet. He has proven untrustworthy but it has nothing to do with my dislike of FFP scopes. I dislike the changing size of the reticle. What would be great is a way for the reticle to be large on low power and small on high settings.

Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

236 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 27 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,191
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.