Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, I have a example that's pretty close. 180 grain VLD from a 7 WSM at about 2925 fps. Hit the bull in the ribs at 617 yards, cold bore, exactly where the crosshairs lay. He took about a dozen steps and laid down dead. Bullet was caught in the offside hide. Wound channel was cavernous, and yes, they penetrate before expanding, uh, assertively. It is my load for everything that might be taken at over 500 yards. If I'm fortunate it will kill another bull. I would happily take the same shot at 25 yards.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well as I said, it's your elk, and I don't care what others use. As long as I don't have to recover them it's not my monkey or my circus.

We do disagree, but that doesn't make me right and you wrong, or the other way around.

What you did say is " I judge a bullet by it's ability to kill reliably and quickly."
I would agree but for the word quickly.

Chasing them for some time after the 1st shot hit is why I am sour on them. I have had to do it a few times now. Deer and elk both.
I like the old saying "do all your hunting before you fire the rifle".

My pastor killed a nice Mulie buck with 4 Burgers, from a 270 last season. 3 hit in the chest, 2 of which were very well places. The 4th bullet killed the buck from about 10 feet away with a nick shot (which did exit) Whole drama took him about 1-1/2 hours.
[Linked Image]IMG952016101395173647042 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

I was not on that hunt, but the results were not a bit surprising to me.

He did pretty much the same thing with a 30-06 just a week earlier shooting 165 grain bullet. Took 2 shots and the deer ran about 500 yards . One hit too far back, so we'll not accuse the bullet of ill performance on that shot. Next, one right through the chest, but no good or fast results. Last one did the job------- about 30 minutes later.
Those are just 2 of many many such stories I have heard, and 2 of about 12 I have seen with my own eyes.

Probably 75% of the game I have seen killed with Burgers didn't go very far, but that doesn't mean the Burger was better than anything else. And from the horrid blow-ups I see, they are not as good.

I think it's unreasonable to say if they had taken identical hits from a Nosler partition, any bonded core bullet, a Remington C-L or a Winchester Power Point that the results would have been as bad or worse, being that I have seen those others work a lot better for a lot longer. I have not cared for the Sierra Game Kings very much because they usually shed their jackets, but at least they hold more weight then Burgers do.

I have seen plenty of bad performance with other bullets but I can say with 100% certainty I have never seen worse then I see from burgers. Not ever. Not on any game. Not from any caliber and not from any bullet weight.

I have seen game run when hit well with other bullets too, but any other hunter with about 50 years of experience behind him have seen such things.

The thing is, of all the times I have seen it in 50 years or so, about 85% of those were hit with Burgers and those were all in the last 12 years or so. The other 15% are spread over 50 years with deer, elk, moose, bears, caribou and antelope hit with other makers bullets in all other calibers combined.
Off the top of my head I can remember having to go after game that were hit well with 4 Sierras, three 30 cals and one 150 gr 7mm,
1 Remington CL 100 gr .257.
2 Speer bullets, one 9.3mm 270 grain and one 120 grain 257.
One 225 grain 338 Hornady on a moose, one 250 grain 338 Hornady, also on a moose.
There may be a few others that i am not remembering right this minutes too.

But all those combined don't come to the number of game animals I have seen, or had to chase down myself, shot with Burgers just in the last 12 years.

All will have to make their own choices. I only write this for the readership to ponder. I don't expect to change anyone's mind.
Only experience and having real world comparisons will do that.

I share what I have seen and what I have done, and I'll report the bad with the good. I don't use Burgers because the first 2 years I shot them I never shot at game with them, and I had the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of my friends and clients.
I always prefer learn from the mistakes of others instead of having to make them all myself.

I have shot game with bullets that I didn't like for the given purpose too, and I have done it as recently as last year. Hornady 170 Gr 8MM SSTs are not what I'd choose for elk again. Yes, I killed a nice bull, but 2 rounds were fired and neither exited, one of which came apart. Outstanding accuracy, and the bullets went about 18"-22"" deep, so I would give them high marks for a deer round, but I like better performance for elk. Here are the pics of those 2 bullets and an unfired one to look at.
[Linked Image]PA110001 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
As you can see, it meats my personal definition for a failure of a big game bullet. Core separation on one. I'd give them a C as a grade. Passable, but not great.

I am going back to Nosler Partitions for my 8MM now. The SST shot flatter, so I thought I'd give it a chance. I did.
And now I am going back.

I want bone breaking ability with exits on elk, every time.
Deer are not so big or tough. So if I can get 60% weight retention on a deer bullet without core separation I am happy.

My standards are my own. No one is in any way obligated to agree, but that's what i have come to after 5 decades of killing big game and guiding hunters who kill big game.

"Your mileage may vary"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My mileage varies....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I've killed 7 elk with a 270W and 150gr Sierra Boattails. Will the Sierra 150gr Boattail kill an elk? Yep. Is it a good elk bullet? Nope.

That's a distinction many people don't decipher..............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm patiently waiting for someone to show pictures of dead elk from a .308 155 grain Scenar.... target bullet....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ltsheets
Before I start pulling some bullets and reloading for more velocity, I'm curious what you guys think about this load for elk...especially those of you with berger experience. My 300wsm shoots a 190vld in the current load at around 2600 fps and 1/2 MOA. I doubt I'd shoot past 600 yds at a bull even under perfect conditions. At 600 yds, according to my calculations, this combo should still be moving 1915 fps and have 1547 ft/lbs of energy. At close ranges I'd be fine with this combo even on a quartering to angle but that those ranges I'd hesitate on anything but perfectly broadside. I'm curious what you guys think about this choice of bullet out to 600 yards? This would also be my backup rifle most likely as my 28 Nosler shooting 160ABs at 3230fps will be my most likely primary rifle.

If you know and trust the load I would not touch a thing and I definitely wouldn't be pulling bullets. smile to your question, sounds like a very worthy 600-yard capable backup rifle to your 28 Noz/Accubonds primary.

What I MIGHT do, is load up some 200-gn Accubonds or Partitions for that 300 WSM for timber work- if that's a possibility for the hunt. POI would likely be close enough to leave the scope alone.

What are you scoping it with?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Right now it has a Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 but I'm selling it and replacing it with a Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 windplex.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Before I start pulling some bullets and reloading for more velocity, I'm curious what you guys think about this load for elk...especially those of you with berger experience. My 300wsm shoots a 190vld in the current load at around 2600 fps and 1/2 MOA. I doubt I'd shoot past 600 yds at a bull even under perfect conditions. At 600 yds, according to my calculations, this combo should still be moving 1915 fps and have 1547 ft/lbs of energy. At close ranges I'd be fine with this combo even on a quartering to angle but that those ranges I'd hesitate on anything but perfectly broadside. I'm curious what you guys think about this choice of bullet out to 600 yards? This would also be my backup rifle most likely as my 28 Nosler shooting 160ABs at 3230fps will be my most likely primary rifle.

If you know and trust the load I would not touch a thing and I definitely wouldn't be pulling bullets. smile to your question, sounds like a very worthy 600-yard capable backup rifle to your 28 Noz/Accubonds primary.

What I MIGHT do, is load up some 200-gn Accubonds or Partitions for that 300 WSM for timber work- if that's a possibility for the hunt. POI would likely be close enough to leave the scope alone.

What are you scoping it with?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
............................Ltsheets.................Given you can maintain good hunting accuracy, you still have quite a bit of room to play going beyond 2600 fps using the 190 VLD.

Several years ago, I used a 190 hunting VLD from my 300 WSM Ruger shorty compact on a bull elk with great success at 312 yards. So far it is my only experience using a Berger on elk. So with Bergers, my first hand experience on elk is very limited. But what a great experience it was. Only with a max load of RL17 behind the 190 VLD was I able to average nearly 2800 fps.

The shot was pretty much broadside with the bull quartering away from me by about 5 to 10 degrees at the most. The bull staggered maybe 10 feet and dropped. The VLD did the job.

So when it comes to any VLD on elk threads such as this one as well as and all of them in the past, you are going to read experiences that go both ways; great (I'll use them again) and not so great (I won't use them again) type of responses. Some swear by them, while others swear off from them. After all the advice whether it be pro or con, personal experience is your best teacher.

I wont hesitate using a 190 VLD again for elk. And should I own either a 6.5 or 7mm in the future, I wouldn't hesitate using either for elk.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ltsheets..............Forgot to ask. What rifle chambered in 28 Nosler do you have?........Browning? Nosler? Rifle from MRC?

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
MRC extreme x2 with the MRC muzzlebreak.

Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Ltsheets..............Forgot to ask. What rifle chambered in 28 Nosler do you have?........Browning? Nosler? Rifle from MRC?

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Very good. MRC makes excellent rifles...........I just need to make up my mind between the 26 or 28 Nosler...........Even though I own a MK5, I prefer the CRF M70 type action/safety. .....Seriously considering the ASR with the upgraded ALR wood stock which MRC will do for an added cost.

Good luck with your X2. Don't think you'll need it though.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I've been told that the 28nos has been far less finicky reloading wise by a couple different gun smiths. Also with a break from MRC, the recoil is about like a .308. I can call my hits at 200 and beyond. Pretty awesome.

Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Very good. MRC makes excellent rifles...........I just need to make up my mind between the 26 or 28 Nosler...........Even though I own a MK5, I prefer the CRF M70 type action/safety. .....Seriously considering the ASR with the upgraded ALR wood stock which MRC will do for an added cost.

Good luck with your X2. Don't think you'll need it though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks...........Vs the 28, I have read that about the 26 where being more finicky is concerned.....Between the two, I have always leaned more towards the 28 Nosler as a great choice for going smaller than 30 cal..............

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Yes the 28 is smaller diameter than a 30 cal but few 30 cals out perform one.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes the 28 is smaller diameter than a 30 cal but few 30 cals out perform one.
.......................Yep!......At the 500 yard mark in terms of retained velocity and energy, the 28 Nosler using a 175 ABLR is just about even with the 30-378 using a 180 gr AB......Beyond that the 28 Nosler begins to take over.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
If you really wanna run numbers. Run them with a 180 VLD around 3150-3200

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
.........Yep! Thought of that. The two ballistic sources I used from Nosler and Weatherby were handier. And when comparing the 28 Nosler to the 7 RUM, it takes more powder for the RUM to do the same not to mention the slightly longer action....Nosler hit it waaaay out the park with the 26 and 28...Well!! They might as well intro the 27 Nosler to give the 270 buffs something to really talk about....lol...................Its official...I'm gettin a 28........Mind is made up.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Good choice bigsqueeze!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good choice bigsqueeze!
........................Thx.........The more I look at the MRC ASR, the more I'm really beginning to like it just as it is without swapping out for the ALR stock upgrade. I do like the forearm palm swell and its beauty is more simplified...... Will get the muzzle brake added on though.

With the 28 Nosler and MRC, I will have my Model 70 cake and eat it too. I'll be calling MRC next week to place the order.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If you REALLY want to run numbers, punch in the new 7mm 180 ELD-M... smile

G1 BC of .796 if memory serves. That's what I'm using in my long range 7WSM. I've killed a few bucks with the 7mm 162's.... high hopes for the 180, if it is as terminally wicked as ELD-M's/Amax's typically are, but with the extra oomph in the trunk (aka SD) from being, well, a 7mm 180-grain bullet... with that BC.... it will be awesome! They are very accurate in my rifle and the listed BC is legit out to 1000 yards which is all the further I've shot them.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 09/03/17.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,282 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.