Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have visited Murphy Village near North Augusta, SC. Just north of Augusta Ga.
This is a neighborhood of about 200 houses. All the houses are real big, maybe 4 or 5 bedrooms. Painted in some gaudy colors. Big, expensive houses.
In every drive way is about $100 grand in wheels. A new Cadillac, next to a shiny new F250. Lots of pickup trucks.
In every yard is a big Catholic shrine. Might be a big crucifixion, a cross 8 feet high with Jesus nailed in place. Mostly shrines to Virgin Mary.
A plaster, or maybe metal, Virgin Mary, six feet high, kneeling down in prayer, painted bright blue.
Some with Virgin Mary holding Baby Jesus.

I have studied these guys a bit, there are 4 main family names, I recall one is Sherlock. They are real inbred as they want none of their members to marry an "outsider." Many of their babies are born with bad birth defects, but, of course, abortion is abhorrent to them.
They will also not give up a retard baby to a nursing home or some such place, they keep all these birth defect babies at home and regard them as "angels."

I am partly Irish and as I study these guys, makes me wish I was Czechoslovakian, or Romanian or something. These guys are real scum and have no problem scamming some poor widow out of her life saving on a driveway repair scam, or a house painting scam.

Murphy Village was started about 1850 by an Irish priest named Murphy. They were refugees from the Potato Famine, which was 1846. In those days the scammers were using horse and buggy, couldn't really get too far so I imagine they were pretty poor.
But with the advent of the automobile, they are able to range far afield, I have seen this scum pulling scams in Indiana, Ohio etc. Scam some Yankee sucker for $10 grand and get out of state before he calls the Sheriff.

They are quite well off, financially, there in Murphy Village.

I think 60 minutes did a piece on them a few years back and they lived in some nice homes.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
True Irish Tinkers are not Gypsies and I believe were just found to be a completely separate genetic ethnic group a few months ago, at least in Ireland...

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's okay. Cher's really a tranny.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Travellers, engage in home Improvement scams. From Ireland originally?

Gypsies, theft and and various cons. Originally from Romania, I think.

Different but the same.

We get the roof painters around here in the summer.

We also get the Gypsy theives every year. They somehow know who to hit.
A woman, usually, will knock on an elderly persons door, the thief will sneak in
a different door, and hit the usual money and jewelry. If the thief is discovered, the door knocker
causes a distraction and both just disappear. They are very skilled, and never seem to
get caught.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only on the ski slopes.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
They have passed through a few times pulling scams stealing virtually anything not nailed down, then returning it for "refunds". Then pulling the "confuse the clerk" deal with quick handling money scams (always the women). They also break the seals on the semis at the truck stops and would load up a pickup and be gone in a flash.

They also cruise the elderly neighborhoods, conning their way into the houses, selling cleaning products. While one keeps the elderly person occupied, the other asks to go to the bathroom and steals all their jewelry or opens a window to come back later and do a burglary.

Filthy thieving scum.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
SOrt of like the Mafia but these crazies don't kill people.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
They have passed through a few times pulling scams stealing virtually anything not nailed down, then returning it for "refunds". Then pulling the "confuse the clerk" deal with quick handling money scams (always the women). They also break the seals on the semis at the truck stops and would load up a pickup and be gone in a flash.

They also cruise the elderly neighborhoods, conning their way into the houses, selling cleaning products. While one keeps the elderly person occupied, the other asks to go to the bathroom and steals all their jewelry or opens a window to come back later and do a burglary.

Filthy thieving scum.

^^This^^

The retail mis-direction scam is pretty common around Augusta, GA and has been going on for decades. When my sister worked at Macy's (think it was Davisons then) back in early 80s there was a special chime that was sounded over the PA system that alerted employees that Travellers (we called them Gypsies) were in the store. Saturday nights in a few restaurants in town can be hilarious as the women and girls get dolled up and go out on the town. Little girls dressed and painted up like hookers along with their mothers and grandmothers. All the older women wear the same "brown helmet" hair-do and they all have flat foreheads - I can spot'em a mile away. The older women wear cheap clothes (according to my wife) but they lavish the little girls with outrageously expensive getups. They roll-up in BMWs, MBs and Caddys. Rarely see the men out. Have always heard in-breeding is a problem with them and that they occasionally try to bring in some new blood. Everybody has a story about some dude they know who was propositioned by them.

Last edited by releehweoj; 09/06/17.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I don't recall ever dealing with any Irish Travelers directly myself but almost every summer local TV news and newspapers report warnings from police depts. alerting the public of increased Irish Traveler scams and ripoffs.

Years ago I watched groups of three and four Gypsy women who were literally shoplifting pros. They all wore long, loose fitting, flowing traditional style clothing and were so good you simply could not catch them in the act. Members of a group would encircle and be both lookouts and concealment for whichever one was doing the actual stealing, then they'd move on further down an aisle, rotating positions each time they moved. Seen other shoplifters get caught but never any of the Gypsies.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 219DW, 10ring1, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 42 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,219
Posts18,524,559
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.