-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their was a leadership failure, no doubt.

But there are only two principle actors here.

The nurse is standing up for a principle...... patients rights.

The cop is standing up for....... what?

Bureauracratic beligerence.

Nurse is right and cop is wrong.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Denton,

Does the uninformed consent law pertain to CDL drivers in your state? That is highly unlikely.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Does the uninformed consent law pertain to CDL drivers in your state?

Good legal question.

However, the recent Birchwood Supreme Court decision definitely applies. No warrant, no consent, no blood draw.

Edited to add the relevant portion of the Utah code:

...vehicle in the commission of a felony;
(vi) refusal to submit to a test to determine the concentration of alcohol in the person's blood,
breath, or urine;
(vii) driving a commercial ...

So a person can have his CDL revoked or suspended if he refuses to submit to the listed tests.

The victim did not refuse, but neither did he consent that we know of. In the absence of consent or a warrant, Birchwood applies and I think a blood draw would be illegal.

Last edited by denton; 09/03/17.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I have been following the story of the Utah ED nurse's arrest with some interest since the video first broke. Amid all the outrage and anti-cop sentiment, it's hard to learn any facts, but some have come out, and it's interesting to me.

It's interesting to me because as the Medical Director of a busy Emergency Department here in Texas, I most emphatically don't want anything like this to happen in my ED. The fact that it happened ANYwhere is a testament to what I call the supremacy of Bossiness and the failure of Leadership.

Here's my short summary of the case. If I'm substantively wrong in any point, please feel free to correct me and I'll change the OP:

1. Professional driver, driving a semi, gets hit by another vehicle; CDL laws apply here, and he must submit a blood sample by law. By signing his CDL license, he has given consent to this in advance for the rest of his professional driving life.
2. Professional cop, who is also a trained forensic phlebotomist, is dispatched to the ED to collect the blood sample that is required by law.
3. Profesional nurse, citing hospital policy, and acting as a "patient advocate" tells cop he can't take the blood sample.

So far, it's pretty straightforward. But then:

4. Cop calls his supervisor, who tells him he MUST get the blood sample NOW, based on his understanding of state and federal law governing MVC's involving CDL drivers.
5. Nurse calls her hospital administrator, who tells her she MUST NOT allow him to do so without a warrant, following hospital policy (which may or may not be in compliance with EMTALA, HIPAA, and other healthcare law).
6. Cop supervisor tells cop he must arrest the nurse and then get the blood sample.
7. Cop arrests nurse.
8. Video gets posted on YouTube and the Entire World Loses Its Mind.

Does anyone else see the big problem here? Does anyone else notice that the two people who were insisting that nobody back down were not even present? How the feck do you justify putting your people into that position without being there in person to back it up?

Look, I know that tempers can run hot in emergency situations. I work in that kind of environment every day. People get short-tempered, and say and do things that they would never do if there was time to talk it over and make a rational decision based on the best information at hand. And when people DO take the time for a time-out, and come to a mutually agreeable solution, everybody wins.

I have been in the position of the supervisor in this deal. On several occasions my phone has blown up with calls from my charge nurse, my ER doc on duty, the hospital administration, the nursing supervisor, and God knows who else, and ALL of them are blowing a gasket over some situation or other that has escalated out of hand really, really fast.

My response in each case has been as follows:

1. Tell everyone to back away from the situation, and
2. I drive in to the ED immediately.

Each time I have done this, the situation has either completely or partially resolved itself by the time I arrive. My job then has been to speak to all the parties individually, then make a judgment based on all the information. At which point all the principals breathe a sigh of relief, and say, "Fine, that's good with me."

Every time.

But in this situation, I see two professionals, a nurse and a cop, put in a situation where their respective supervisors are instructing them to do the exact opposite of what I have found to be the only way to get a just and equitable solution to a dangerous conflict. The hospital supervisor isn't a lawyer, nor a law enforcement expert. The police supervisor isn't a lawyer, nor a healthcare law expert. But neither one admits that they don't know the whole story, and then they insist that the frontline cop and nurse just bull ahead.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I think that nurse and that cop need to have a sit-down with a professional mediator to figure out how what they both did was partly right and partly wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised if they both carry a grudge for the rest of their lives. But it wasn't their fault. It was their supervisors' fault this turned into a first class Charlie Foxtrot.

But the supervisors on both sides should have their asses fired with extreme prejudice. Because in a situation that called for leadership, they BOTH failed miserably. They both decided they had to be a BOSS instead of being a LEADER.

Imagine the difference in this scenario if both supervisors had said, "Hold on, don't do anything, I'll be right there," and then got in their cars and sped to the hospital. Imagine the supervisors taking their people aside privately and getting the facts and the history of the conflict. Imagine the supervisors then sitting down in the coffee room and deciding how to solve the issue. Maybe they would have remained at a standoff, or maybe they would have reached an agreeable compromise. Maybe they'd have to get a judge to sign a warrant, or maybe they'd have just said, "Feck it, this is too trivial a problem for us to get in a snit over, let's all go get a beer."

I guaran-fecking-tee you that would not have made it on to YouTube and Facebook. But it would have been the right thing to do.

Leadership is real. Leadership is necessary. And leadership was absolutely absent in that Utah ED that day.

Doc,

Great post and I agree with you 100%. This is why I don't drive through Georgia where this incident happened.

Also, I'm curious if maybe the driver had a CDL.

My favorite colors is green.

Thanks again,
Campfire Moron

PS-I didn't actually read your post but agree with it regardless.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ya'll need to check the CFR 40 for CDL drug testing rules. The driver of the CDL truck was not cited , no test is required, if there is a fatality no matter who is cited he is required to be tested by his EMPLOYEE or their representative within 2 hrs, if the test cannot be admined in 8 , no test is required but documentation is to be recorded for the investigation.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ya'll need to check the CFR 40 for CDL drug testing rules. The driver of the CDL truck was not cited , no test is required, if there is a fatality no matter who is cited he is required to be tested by his EMPLOYEE or their representative within 2 hrs, if the test cannot be admined in 8 , no test is required but documentation is to be recorded for the investigation.

Well, there you go again, actually citing pertinent and useful facts....

This will not play out well for the officer. Both the Mayor and the DA seem to love the spotlight, and are very careful to always look good in it. They seem to me to be more concerned about appearances than about anything else. The Mayor has renounced the officer's actions and the DA has announced an investigation. The officer isn't getting any love from City Hall.

Last edited by denton; 09/03/17.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
So does a hospital's internal "policy" supercede a state law?

If that policy is consistent with Supreme Court Precedence, yes, it does.

I think you missed the point.

A "policy" really does not mean a whole lot. Hospitals have no shortage of attorneys, and I have dealt with plenty of them. That said, they are civil attorneys, and for the vast majority, the last time they dealt with criminal law, was when they were in school.

I have actually been in a couple situations almost exactly like the one that caused this schitt show. A very anti-cop and total b1tch head nurse was giving me no shortage of grief in one case. She even tried to bar me from entering the ER.

The shift supervisor told me to arrest her for Delay and Obstruct. I told him I would pass, knowing that it would only create more problems later, and somehow I would be found to blame with the usual " I didn't say that" coming from the chain of command.

Then I talked to the head prosecutor for the county, who was/is a giant egomaniac, and he ranted/raved and told me to arrest her immediately. I flatly refused, unless he came down there personally and reviewed everything. That put an end to the big talk. Finally I had a talk with the head of security (who was a retired 30 year LEO) and the head doc, and explained what I was there for, and showed him the state code authorizing me to do what I was attempting to do The doc called their civil attorney, who even though it took longer than I would have preferred, got back to me/us, after reviewing the codes I cited both for the crime of the suspect, but also for the obstruct and delay. I was very open about the conversation I had had between the head prosecutor and myself (as the lead detective). Rather than have a giant scene and cause future problems, we simply worked it out like adults.

About a year + later I had almost the same scenario happen on an arson case. The dumb snatch who burned her boyfriends house down, ended up getting smoke inhalation in the process and ended up in ICU. I showed up to collect her clothes (to be sent off to test for accelerants), as well as get blood. Danged if it was not the same spiteful witch from the ER, now in charge of the ICU that night. Fortunately the head of security over rode her with a phone call to some doctor that I never even spoke to.

The bottom line is that many times these stories are not even close to what they appear to be in print, and I think Doc has made a solid call on this one. The supervisors, both in the LE department and the Hospital are the ones who need to be dealt with, not the cop and the nurse. Both the cop and the nurse are in total no-win situations.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I were on a civil jury i would find for the nurse and her supervisor. Leos know how to get a warrant in a hurry if they have to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
After working for a short time in hospital security, it's obvious that hospitals do not care about what is legal or acceptable to comply with HIPAA or EMTALA. They take a very blind attitude that EVERYTHING IS A VIOLATION no matter who makes the request or the grounds (law) that allow them to make the request. I think it's because no one in medicine has every really read the HIPAA laws and does not know what is allowable. So they take an attitude that every request is not allowable and it will only get them sued if they agree with an LEO request. kwg

This is true because of the penalties that a hospital can face for an EMTALA or HIPAA violation. It can involve loss of Medicaid/ Medicare funds and substantial fines. Most hospitals cannot operate without these funds. It is better to support the patient then have the Fed find the hospital negligent. As per the OP, I agree that this was a lack of clear leadership in calming down and reasoning through the situation.

Also the training in nursing school is such that nurses are taught to be "warriors" in protecting "their" patient's rights. The nurse was thus only acting as she has been taught. She would willing put herself in harms way to protect "her patient". It was her ethical responsibility, releasing her of that responsibility was the administrators responsibility.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A "policy" really does not mean a whole lot.

I think that doesn't quite hit the mark, either.

The policy is drafted so that the hospital and its employees are compliant with applicable law. The policy interprets the law for the hospital employees. If the people who drafted the policy did a good job, and if the employees follow the policy, then the employees are acting in accordance with the law. Apparently, this hospital's policy was compliant with the Supreme Court Birchwood decision, and the officer's information was out of date.

I'm having a hard time imagining how a compulsory blood draw is justified for the innocent and comatose victim of a wreck caused by another (now dead) driver, fleeing police. The officer admitted on tape that he couldn't get a warrant because there was no probable cause. Implied consent went away in Utah in 2007. The nurse committed no obstruction of justice because there was no case or investigation against the victim.

Now as to the situations you describe, good job. Showing the laws under which you are acting, and being reasonable and professional is how adults do things. We need more like you.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So does a hospital's internal "policy" supercede a state law?

It does if someone (staff) at the hospital says it does, until it winds up in court, when it doesn't.

Doc, thanks for the 411 on this. Yeah, a real CF with no chiefs stepping up to the plate, leaving the indians to make battle.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton

This will not play out well for the officer. Both the Mayor and the DA seem to love the spotlight, and are very careful to always look good in it. They seem to me to be more concerned about appearances than about anything else. The Mayor has renounced the officer's actions and the DA has announced an investigation. The officer isn't getting any love from City Hall.

Capt Kangaroo is hosed for sure. His actions have been denounced by his dept and the city. Fella is gonna be working dispatch for the sanitation dept. lol.

As to leadership failure. The more you look at it, it is one sided.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Is it legal for a cop to be drawing blood in a hospital?

Seems like that's beyond his scope of evidence gathering.

Why would you not draw it in a hospital?

Once the victim arrived at the hospital he was under their control. At that point it's the hospital's job to do the blood draws, not the LEO's. Phlebotomist/RN draw the blood, place it into the evidence envelope. LEO seals the envelope and signs over the seal along with whom ever actually drew the blood. Blood gets sent off the the crime lab. Just because someone is "certified" doesn't mean they're proficient. wink

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Blood gets sent off the the crime lab.

Assuming that the owner of the blood is suspected of a crime. Not the case here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like perhaps LE trying to cover all bases in case of lawsuits resulting from the high speed chase.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Getting supervisors involved is ok and a good first step, BUT, in matters of LAW you need to get those most familiar with the law involved. This would mean either the cop getting a warrant from a judge or, getting the DA's office to talk with the hospital's attorney where they can hash out the legality of the issue. Did arresting the nurse result in the cop getting the blood sample he wanted? No it didn't. So, what was the point?

I did administrative enforcement of hazardous waste laws (both State and Federal). I was trained as to what I could and could not do when met with a refusal. Refusal of a company to provide me access to a facility or to their records was an administrative violation NOT a criminal violation. Our recourse to such a refusal was to first SHOW the company the regulation requiring access then, if access was still denied, we contacted our agency's attorney who would advise the company that such a refusal was a violation of our regulations and that our next recourse would be to seek a search warrant from a judge and, if obtained, then any violations noted would be prosecuted criminally. What we could NOT do is: misrepresent the law, bully the company representatives, act unprofessionally or send our environmental police officers to the facility to arrest the company representative refusing access. In order to get a permit to manage hazardous wastes, companies agreed to allow inspections of their facilities. Refusals could also result in their permits being pulled. Agreeing to consent to inspections when they were issued their permits did NOT allow us to trespass and did NOT constitute the company waiving their 4th amendment rights.

The way the police in this manner handled the situation was inappropriate. The cop got annoyed because he wasn't getting what he wanted. He did not act as a professional. He lost his cool. He should be fired.

Last edited by cooper57m; 09/03/17.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Sorry Doc but no way was this nurse wrong or out of line. She clearly told the police officer that the victim(truck driver) needed to be under arrest or a warrant issued for the blood draw. The DUMB ASS cop could have had warrant in his hands in 10-15 minutes
and this whole debauch would never had happened. Now what, The cop and his supervisor are deep in a mire with possible fines and imprisonment looking at them and this nurse is looking at a very well paid early retirement if she chooses.
My take is since the cops were in a high speed chase of the one killed by this stupid chase when he slammed head on into the truck were trying to get their arse out of trouble by the future investigation that surely will come and a wrongful death lawsuit by
hopefully being able to place all blame on trucker as this is famous for happening.

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by denton

Capt Kangaroo is hosed for sure. His actions have been denounced by his dept and the city. Fella is gonna be working dispatch for the sanitation dept. lol.

As to leadership failure. The more you look at it, it is one sided.

I hope the Captian and officer spend a few months in jail along the way.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Ringman

How would the nurse back down? Do you think that belligerent cop would let her back away?

There are any number of ways to back down. If I had been the duty doc on that day, and if I'd been called upon to intervene, I would have done so. I noticed someone who looked like a doc just standing back in the video, watching and not doing anything, which was unacceptable in my view. Cops are more likely to listen to a doc than to a nurse, and just by virtue of the doc's implied higher authority, I think the doc on scene could have slowed this whole thing down.

The first (and most likely to be accepted) way would be to say, "Look, I don't want this to turn into an tunnecessary confrontation. Let's wait for my administrator to get here, and your supervisor. Let's let them sort this out." In other words, I'd do everything I could to give leadership a chance to get there and sort things out. 99 times out of 100 this sort of action gets upset people in the ER to cool out enough that the situation can be resolved non-confrontationally.

If the cop insisted he was going to go ahead with the blood draw, I'd not step in his way. I'd reiterate the hospital policy, but tell him he was free to execute his duty as he sees it. If the blood draw turns out to be illegal, it's on him, not on the hospital. If the blood is inadmissible as evidence, let the court decide.

But bottom line, a blood draw is not a significant harm. Real damages are negligible. If he sues, he sues. I doubt the hospital or the nurse or the doc would be in for anything near as rough a time as the cop/agency.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Their was a leadership failure, no doubt.

But there are only two principle actors here.

Dead wrong. The supervisors on both sides escalated this situation into the Charlie Foxtrot it became. The cop and the nurse are secondary to the conflict, even though they are on the front line.

And brw, it's "there", not "their", and "principal", not "principle".

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, 13 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.