Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

From what I've seen at the public hunting range I'd make a wager that the majority of hunters have never shot a sub moa group in their life. More than a few have trouble keeping shots on a paper plate sized target at 100 yds when shooting off the bench. On the other extreme you have guys that shoot more in a weekend than many will in their life time, and who can reliably place shots into the vitals to 600 yds and beyond.

See the same at almost every range visit. Now more likely than not it is with people shooting the M16 class of rifles. Some-most in fact-have good rifles with the worst of scopes and keeping shots inside a 12-inch target is the exception. They are shooting .223, no spotting scope, can't see their holes, and want to walk down range every 5-10 shots to see their target. Then there was the guy, and when you saw him set-up you knew he was different. He was punching out 3-5shot .5 +/- groups with regularity.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Bushnell , Simmons and Nikon are on most of the deer hunters rifles around here.

And a search says they managed to kill 160,000 plus a little Deer in 2016. Pretty good for what some wouldn't carry into the woods and be confident in their equipment.

Unreliable gear works great until it doesn't. If a guy only takes a couple of shots a year, it'll likely be many years before he experiences a failure.

Once a guy has seen a few failures, he tends to hedge his bets.

I used to use Burris. After too many failures I switched to Tasco and the failures stopped. That was with rifles. The .454 was a whole different game. All brands failed with that in the late 1980's and early 1990's. When more money was available I purchased Swarovski and went back to failures. Then I switched to Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X and the failures pretty much stopped. I say pretty much because two were bad right out of the box. Sightron and Nikon have been good except they don't have the hydrophobic coating Bushnell does. Minox 5-25X56 and Zeiss 5-25X50 low light performance was not up to the standard set by the Bushnells so they were returned to sellers.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman
I did find a few Leupold problems when my spent primer count went way up for two or three years. I shot lots of 308 Winchester, I was buying 4895 two eight pound jugs at a time, and I was doing a lot of tall target adjustment testing for my own entertainment.

How bad was it on average. Would it have been obvious or caused one to miss-or wound-a Deer at the what seems to be under 200yard average

I don't know about missing a deer inside 200 if the shooter aimed in the middle of the front half.

One had a side parallax adjustment that wouldn't stay set shot to shot even though the knob itself didn't move. Another had a horizontal adjustment with a dead spot in it. The adjustments in another didn't break outright, but they got loosey goosey and groups opened up at the same time.

It may well be a lot of avid hunters are casual shooters range wise. They may not be possessed of rifles that can resolve a change from half moa groups to one moa groups.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks,

Enough reports out that Leupold obviously has some issues. How does the failure rate compare to other scopes is the unknown question. Complete breakdown or off enough that for the majority of hunting situations it would not be noticed?

However, Leupold would be wise to address the issues. Nothing to be lost by doing so. They most certainly have someone tuned into the various optics forums.

Last edited by battue; 09/08/17.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One Leupold that stayed rock solid for thousands of shots was a Vari-X 3-9x33 EFR model.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Thanks,

Enough reports out that Leupold obviously has some issues. How does the failure rate compare to other scopes is the unknown question. Complete breakdown or off enough that for the majority of hunting situations it would not be noticed?

However, Leupold would be wise to address the issues. Nothing to be lost by doing so. They most certainly have someone tuned into the various optics forums.

Conservatively, in the last decade I've seen hundreds of Leupolds used. Outright where I wouldn't put them on a hunting rifle and use them somewhere between 20-30%. If you're dialing, around 60-70% have an issue within 500 rounds that would cause a miss on a 8" plate at 400 yards.

As far as Leupold fixing the problem...? No. As 4th Point wrote their CEO and management are not shooters in any way. The have also vehemently denied any issues even while standing on a range watching them fail.

They have no reason to fix it, because people keep buying their stuff. .

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

From what I've seen at the public hunting range I'd make a wager that the majority of hunters have never shot a sub moa group in their life. More than a few have trouble keeping shots on a paper plate sized target at 100 yds when shooting off the bench. On the other extreme you have guys that shoot more in a weekend than many will in their life time, and who can reliably place shots into the vitals to 600 yds and beyond.

See the same at almost every range visit. Now more likely than not it is with people shooting the M16 class of rifles. Some-most in fact-have good rifles with the worst of scopes and keeping shots inside a 12-inch target is the exception. They are shooting .223, no spotting scope, can't see their holes, and want to walk down range every 5-10 shots to see their target. Then there was the guy, and when you saw him set-up you knew he was different. He was punching out 3-5shot .5 +/- groups with regularity.

Good post buddy... I saw that guy once... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Thanks,

Conservatively, in the last decade I've seen hundreds of Leupolds used. Outright where I wouldn't put them on a hunting rifle and use them somewhere between 20-30%. If you're dialing, around 60-70% have an issue within 500 rounds that would cause a miss on a 8" plate at 400 yards.

As far as Leupold fixing the problem...? No. As 4th Point wrote their CEO and management are not shooters in any way. The have also vehemently denied any issues even while standing on a range watching them fail.

They have no reason to fix it, because people keep buying their stuff. .

I gave up on Leupold too, after the last VX3 failure I said fu ck them. Just not worth it. I don't give a damn how good their warranty is... Pretty plain and fu cking simple...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I must have got the only good one, last Spring I popped the locks on a dusty Pelican case two times and pulled the old 300 out, hit two black Russian shoats pn two different occasions at iirc 522 and 569 yards respectively, two clean rib hits, ranged, spun, fired, returned to zero, went to processor with one and gave the other too a Bud. grin

The 'volume' of twisting a Leupold may be the teller, I don't shoot mine much anymore, I much prefer banging 100 thru 500 yard steel with barrel sighted Sharps rifles and my naked eyes, much much more of a challenge, long hits with good glass is exceedingly boring.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
One Leupold that stayed rock solid for thousands of shots was a Vari-X 3-9x33 EFR model.

I put a 2-7 on a damn shoulder pounding 378 WBY back in the late 80's, it never moved, tuff tuff scope.

Trump Won!
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I know a former Tanzanian PH who used a 2-7x Leupold on his .378 Weatherby for years, and it never shifted. But that was years ago too.

I've been visiting the Leupold factory periodically since the early 1990's. The last time was in July of 2015. There's a room downstairs where they do their recoil-testing of scopes, taking one off the line now and then and mounting it on a machine designed to simulate the recoil of a .375 H&H. The machine pounds the scope, over and over again, until the scope fails, and they check its endurance against their records. They also use this machine to test scopes from other companies. In 2015 the guy who's run the recoil lab (for quite a while now) very firmly stated, more than once, that Leupold makes the toughest scopes in the world.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I know a former Tanzanian PH who used a 2-7x Leupold on his .378 Weatherby for years, and it never shifted. But that was years ago too.

I've been visiting the Leupold factory periodically since the early 1990's. The last time was in July of 2015. There's a room downstairs where they do their recoil-testing of scopes, taking one off the line now and then and mounting it on a machine designed to simulate the recoil of a .375 H&H. The machine pounds the scope, over and over again, until the scope fails, and they check its endurance against their records. They also use this machine to test scopes from other companies. In 2015 the guy who's run the recoil lab (for quite a while now) very firmly stated, more than once, that Leupold makes the toughest scopes in the world.

Same as a girl telling you she's a virgin...but a kid is tugging at her dress saying "mommy"

Tough from a recoil stand point and holding zero is a different beast than tracking accurately and repeatably

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be interesting to know what the percentage of Leupolds are in the total population of scopes. Is it 50%? Maybe only 25% but there are a lot of them out there. Lots more scopes than the other guys would lead to more failures seen.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My question would be what constitutes failure? Till parts are rattling around inside? Or do they interrupt the test and shoot it for an accuracy standard and repeatability? If it passes then back on the the machine and repeat? Two dictinctly different failures.

I'm a Leupold guy. US based and they make scopes-fixed-and reticles-big dots, HD, PD-that i perfer.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ok here are my requirements:

For use on a 270 wby,300 wby, 300 win mag, 7mm Remington mag, 400 yards absolute top end of range

30mm tube diameter

10-12x top magnification

Scope tracks perfectly for initial sightin, no spinning of turrets necessary(point and click)
Holds zero under most conditions

Has a usable Lowlight Reticle 4, 4a , or a good BDC reticle

Has illumination

Nightforce quality or better glass

Weighs less then 20 ounces

What are my options ? grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you're shooting something big enough to need those magnums inside 400 yards you could drop the magnification top end a bit.

Why a 30mm tube requirement? Given the range limit there's no need for the room inside a big tube to accommodate extra adjustment range.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you're shooting something big enough to need those magnums inside 400 yards you could drop the magnification top end a bit.

Why a 30mm tube requirement? Given the range limit there's no need for the room inside a big tube to accommodate extra adjustment range.

30mm tube for Illumination

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My question would be what constitutes failure? Till parts are rattling around inside? Or do they interrupt the test and shoot it for an accuracy standard and repeatability? If it passes then back on the the machine and repeat? Two dictinctly different failures.

I'm a Leupold guy. US based and they make scopes-fixed-and reticles-big dots, HD, PD-that i perfer.

I'm wondering the same. What constitutes failure in their test?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
battue,

From what I understand, they pull the scope off periodically and test it for tracking, zero, etc. But they eventually shake it so much stuff breaks.

I was with a group of writers, and after the tour some expressed skepticism about the repeated statement concerning "the toughest scopes in the world."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thinking a little more they don't have to shoot in order to test tracking, zero, etc. Must be a grid they can look at while making adjustments. Toughest does seem questionable when you throw in some of the military choices. Then again does the military get something special that we don't? Possible, but I don't know.

Still a good test for everyday hunting scopes. Also, what is their standard? 2's, fail more than the various 3's? Variables vs fixed? Do they outlast the competition? Most certainly, they will say definitely. laugh

Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.