Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12251892 09/05/17
pointer Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My two boys, Hank, and I spent most of the Labor Day Weekend at our cabin doing cabin type things. Planting food plots, cutting down maple trees, building fires, shooting bows and guns, and of course did a bit of squirrel hunting. After a couple big helpings of bisquits and sausage gravy we headed out the old logging road/trail above the cabin. Walk 20-30yds. Sit. Look. Listen. Repeat. On the second one we spot limbs moving that dad is convinced is a squirrel, but with the foliage on we never laid eyes on him. About 20mins later, Youngest tells dad he has to poop and dad realizes he's not packing any TP... So, I set up Oldest with the 10/22 on some sticks as we were hearing a squirrel cutting nuts a head with directions on what to do. Having passed hunter's ed last month, I felt comfortable he'd be safe and follow directions. Youngest and I head back towards the cabin so bidness can be taken care off. About 40yds back down the trail I hear a squirrel cutting CLOSE. Youngest confirms that the situation is not dire, so we move towards the sound. I finally find the noise maker laid out on a limb. The 20ga is a bit too much for Youngest to handle, so I shoot and drop that one.
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

The tree tops came alive with squirrels moving all over the hickories and beech trees. Over about the next 2 mins I see and shoot two more. Youngest is stoked and tells me he doesn't have to poop any more, so we move back to where we left Oldest. He was following directions as told and proceeds to tell me he was just getting ready to shoot one when I shot the second time, spooking his off! laugh We proceed down the trail to another hickory. This one has a fox squirrel in it, who after a bit of waiting came down a grape vine and offered a shot. Bang. Bang. I think Oldest got a bit too excited and didn't aim as fine as he should with the 20ga. A while later and a 100yds further down the trail we spot another gray squirrel who offered a short shot window that didn't pan out either. Summoning some knowledge from his Hunter's Ed Class, Oldest asks me what choke the shotgun had and I replied, "Modified". "Well, if that was a cylinder choke I would have had a better chance at hitting those squirrels", he stated pretty matter of factly. About that time the wind picked up just a bit and the neighbors decided to start their motorcross 100 routine so seeing or hearing squirrels became tough so we packed it in for the day.

Here are my two pards with the day's take:

Oldest assumed the duties of being a living gambrel and held the squirrels for me to get them cleaned and was very proud to offer me the use of his pocket knife that he had bought. It was a good day...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Squirrel hunting is tough here as there are lots of leaves on the trees. Seems to be good numbers of them though. Those boys just need more time in the woods. There is a learning curve. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"We got a squirrel and I don't have to poop anymore!" Cute pictures and congrats on a great morning in the woods with the guys. That's quality time that's hard to beat!!!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for taking the time to post this!

Kids spending time with Dad in the woods is great stuff, and made me smile!

John

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton
Squirrel hunting is tough here as there are lots of leaves on the trees. Seems to be good numbers of them though. Those boys just need more time in the woods. There is a learning curve. miles

More time for sure. Both are getting better at it, but just need time. They are both stoked for deer season, but I plan on getting them out for squirrels again soon!

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's my favorite time in the woods,with the grandson leading the way and doing the shooting. Great pictures!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by milespatton

More time for sure. Both are getting better at it, but just need time. They are both stoked for deer season, but I plan on getting them out for squirrels again soon!

If I recall correctly, you have a cool-looking dog -- pudel perhaps? (Perhaps the "Hank" in your original post is your dog?)

If so, the only way to improve your thread about a dad and two boys goin' squill huntin' would be to include pictures of the dog with the boys!

Every dog needs a kid or two... smile

John

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, Hank (pudelpointer) was along for the trip. He stayed "home" during the squirrel hunting activities. However, he taught me a new trick while we were shooting .22s. Once you knock the can over, he'll more than gladly go pick it up and bring it to you! laugh

He found a few seeds to help disperse...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Keep them boys huntin' pointer! Great pics! Poor Hank, those weed seeds are a PITA. We gottem bad up here, this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good to see kids wanten to be outside instead of in side playing vido games

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. The two of them are already chomping at the bit to go again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice... Thanks for posting. Squirrel season began here Sep. 1st. . Been meaning to get out there and christen the CZ 455 .22 that I got too late last winter to squirrel hunt with. Is that a Leupold Yosemite the little guy is carrying? Looks like it, and they are a great binoc for kids, (and adults). Sure beats the couch and video game routine that too many kids spend way too much time on.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, Hank (pudelpointer) was along for the trip. He stayed "home" during the squirrel hunting activities. However, he taught me a new trick while we were shooting .22s. Once you knock the can over, he'll more than gladly go pick it up and bring it to you! laugh

Pointer,

I hope your dog doesn't feel insulted by me forgetting he is in fact a magnificent pudelpointer! shocked smile

Funny to read how Hank feels his job is to bring back whatever odd thing you shoot, animate or inanimate! cool laugh

John

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Fun times.. Haven't shot many squirrels for 15 years.. It sure is a great sport!! Enjoy!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My boys are getting older now with 2 in their early 20's and the youngest turning 18 in a few weeks. seems like it was just yesterday when they were the same age as your kids and we would go out and have a ball doing the same. now they clean me out of ammo and afterwards when back at the cabin they clean me out of beer to boot.
good times there for sure. enjoy them while you can.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb

Pointer,

I hope your dog doesn't feel insulted by me forgetting he is in fact a magnificent pudelpointer! shocked smile

Funny to read how Hank feels his job is to bring back whatever odd thing you shoot, animate or inanimate! cool laugh

John

He's more of a pudelpointer in name than action, so he's not offended! wink laugh We're getting better with obedience, specifically stay, that I may see if he'll retrieve a squirrel next time out.

Jim- I'm trying to make as much time for memories of "stuff" as possible. Being from StL, you may appreciate them both wearing Molina jerseys to Cincinnati for a game!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jim- I'm trying to make as much time for memories of "stuff" as possible. Being from StL, you may appreciate them both wearing Molina jerseys to Cincinnati for a game!

oh i can appreciate that very very well! give them a pat on the back from me. no love lost for Cincinnati from any Cardinals fan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my middle son after a similar outing like yours some 10 yrs or so ago.
[img]https://www.missouriwhitetails.com/gallery/andrews_squirells.14730/full[/img] 

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nicely done!!!

#4 is a favorite at our house! My oldest (white #4) put in the work this winter to be able to do this all summer...

However, he does swing from the opposite side of the plate from Yadi.

Last edited by pointer; 09/08/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He's got a great looking swing! He's right on that pitch!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,139
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.