Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon
benchman, I was 18 when I first saw a McDonalds, 24 when I was at a Pizza Hut.

Nowdays, as fast food goes, I like the five buck lunch at Dairy Queen.

Same here , we very rarely went to a Mickie D or Burger King growning up. We had no Pizza huts at all because the local pizzerias blew them away in quality

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by wabigoon
benchman, I was 18 when I first saw a McDonalds, 24 when I was at a Pizza Hut.

Nowdays, as fast food goes, I like the five buck lunch at Dairy Queen.

Dairy Queen's five buck lunch (served all day long now) is extra good and a real good deal too in my opinion. Their chicken strips with the white gravy dipping sauce is my favorite. Every restaurant location can be different but the DQ where we usually eat the hot food is cooked when you order it, not precooked and left sitting under heat lamps. .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had the kid with me the other day and was really hungry. Due to his heart condition he's on a very restricted diet, but he encouraged me to stop and get something, that he'd already eaten. Nearest place Sonic. As we were pulling in I mentioned to him that they've never gotten my order right, not once. Every time I eat there I swear it will be my last, then I cave and think, ah, it was a fluke, they'll get it right this time. They didn't. You'd think sooner or later they'd get an order right just by random chance. What are the odds it would be wrong every single time?

I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

LOL
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You have never had wild sheep burger?

Now THAT can get expensive! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by curdog4570
Ordering water instead of soft drinks or tea reduces the price of burger meals by a third.

At home I always drink milk with meals but when eating in restaurants I generally ask for ice water and rather have it anyway than soda pop or most restaurant made tea. Nowadays though you have to be careful when you ask for water as they'll often bring you commercial bottled water which usually costs about the same as the soda and tea.

I always ask for ice water and lemon. Whether you prefer lemon or not, asking for ice water precludes the switcheroo.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
When I was a kid, it was a seldom-treat to go out for Pizza. In fact, we never did because Dad was deathly allergic to mushrooms. But when I was dating, the local Pizza Hut was someplace we didn't go for every date. Just too expensive. Now it seems though, that every danged hamburger joint costs a helluva lot. It's nothing for it to cost $40 at Sonic or McDonald's! Same for Taco Bell. It seems weird that Pizza Hut is the budget meal. We can get two loaded pizza's at the Hut for under $20 and it will feed the four of us.

McDonald's has gotten crazy with their prices other than their Value Menu items, but I disagree with Taco Bell. We can get three of their $5.00 boxes and feed five of us including drinks and have food left over.

And I agree about Pizza Hut. When I was a kid the only time we got it was a special occasion such as a birthday because it was so expensive, now you can get a [bleep]-ton of food for $20.00 if you watch their specials.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
About the only time we stop at McDonald's is after football practice during the busy season. I'll only order from the value menu and refuse to spend more than $15 for all of us. I don't eat fast food but a couple times a year but after practice my son can inhale their burgers and I don't have worry about him getting fat.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by curdog4570
Ordering water instead of soft drinks or tea reduces the price of burger meals by a third.

At home I always drink milk with meals but when eating in restaurants I generally ask for ice water and rather have it anyway than soda pop or most restaurant made tea. Nowadays though you have to be careful when you ask for water as they'll often bring you commercial bottled water which usually costs about the same as the soda and tea.

I always ask for ice water and lemon. Whether you prefer lemon or not, asking for ice water precludes the switcheroo.

Not necessarily always so especially in sit down restaurants where waitstaff take your order at your table - re: "precludes the switcheroo". Unless you specifically ask for tap water you still could wind up with a bottle of 'designer' commercial water and a glass with ice only in it on the side.

Fast food chains that allow free drink refills usually will have DIY drink dispensers with a straight water button option.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can't believe Taco Bell comes up in a food conversation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I also recall when you could get a McBurger, small fires and small drink for 88¢ - but I also recall that the standard wage then was $1.55/hour. Compare a basic "value" meal today and it doesn't miss the "half an hour" wage ratio by much.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mathman
I can't believe Taco Bell comes up in a food conversation.

Taco Bell is the best "Mexican food" in town here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
McDonald's here caters to a demographic we prefer to avoid. Arby's, Krystal, or Burger King if we want fast food. Pizza Hut is our go to pizza and Mellow Mushroom if we feel like splurging.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago.Maybe 20 years ago. I went down the mountain from elk hunting into vail, co. I paid 5.00 for a quarter pounder. No fries. I thought that was outrageous because at the time 1.50 would buy a quarter pounder in the springs where I lived.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Growing up in Chicago during the early '50s through the mid '60s I don't recall ever knowing of any big name national or even regional franchise Pizza chain restaurants as nowadays.

There were some privately owned Pizza parlors with more than one location scattered around and owned by the same people but most were just a single shop individually owned and ran operation.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I rarely eat at chain restaurants, local ones have much better food and the prices are the same or only slightly higher. We've got a couple of really good burger joints, I can't imagine how one could eat at McDonalds given the option of Tommy's or the Arctic Roadrunner....

AAAHHHHH! You're killin' me! cry

I started eating at The Roadrunner the summer of '68 when we moved down to Anchorage. It was the last place I ate at before heading down the AlCan when I moved to Texas. Lots of memories there. Both locations. grin

Great food, my favorite fries in Los Anchorage, and great service.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Got three large pizzas at Pizza Hut last night. $26 mol. These weren't cheese pizzas, they were specialties...2 Super Supremes and a Meatlover's. It would have cost $40-50 to feed the crew at Taco Bell or Sonic!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some days I am pretty sure I'd go $20 on one of these.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I remember when the 1st McD's opened in Boise. At that time, their big thing was 10 cent hamburgers. Fries and drinks were about all you could get with it. All the other stuff you see on their menu was added later.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steve
Local Pho noodle joint is the best cheap meal around.

preach it,,,,,,,,I enjoy Pho,,,,sometimes have to argue with the proprietor that I actually want the tripe,,,,,,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love Meatlovers Pan Pizza. Good stuff.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,724
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.