Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've owned a couple dozen Leupolds in my life.... and I can remember sending 8 or 9 of them back for something or other (some, multiple times for the same thing).

Bought my first SWFA 10x in 2005, and have had another dozen or so (of all flavors). I saw the side-focus knob come completely off a 3-15 once... that's it, and it was replaced in days.

If you're running a piece of mechanical equipment, and you don't think you're going to eventually see it break due to: wear, defect, or pure human error.... then you're just plain stupid.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've switched to iron sights on everything. All sights are screwed and soldered to the rifle

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've switched to iron sights on everything. All sights are screwed and soldered to the rifle

You think that's going to be reliable? Sheeit, your sights need to be integral, machined from the barrel blank itself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

You think that's going to be reliable? Sheeit, your sights need to be integral, machined from the barrel blank itself.

Would have to be a cut rifled bbl....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have to be made of unobtanium too, otherwise it may change zero if bumped and thus increase bench shooting group size by .012" thus rendering it ineffective for elk in the woods. Seriously though, for shooting out to the ranges typically encountered, they are the most dependable solution.

Related note: While I admit there are advantages to scopes, I really want a nice wood stocked, iron sighted, hunting rifle. I saw a Sako Arctos and someday will own one!

Last edited by prm; 09/13/17.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

They are made from Titanium. I tested them on a hydraulic press, the barrels bent well before any damage to the sights.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Higbean

Would have to be a cut rifled bbl....

Cryogenically relieved...

Last edited by battue; 09/13/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know a guy whose ex was so cold that when he did get nookie to completion he could be called cryogenically relieved.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Did a light come on when she spread her legs?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Remember the Ron Mexico a/k/a/ Michael Vick hotel register incident? After that hit the news someone made up a Ron Mexico name generator and put it on the internet. Type in your name and it spit out your undercover Ron Mexico name. Well, her name got typed in and the generator output was Maria Antarctica. Too perfect!

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I had a 3-9 where the turret caps (part that has the lines that shows how many turns you've made) came loose on the elevation and windage turrets. I bought the unit second hand. Sent it in and got my new one back yesterday. Great customer service. Also, on the new box there's a logo that says "4 Life Warranty".

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I look forward to trying the 6x. Anyone used the MIL-Quad reticle in the woods? Easy enough to find center against dark backgrounds?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prm
I look forward to trying the 6x. Anyone used the MIL-Quad reticle in the woods? Easy enough to find center against dark backgrounds?

It can be a little tough to pick up in thick stuff in dimmer light. If the light is good it's not an issue. I've killed several deer, coyotes, and fox with it in woods with no problem as long as there is good light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last year I shot a running buck in pretty dark conditions. Not even a slight issue. But I wasn't trying to find hashmarks, just the center.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Outright failures on mine: 0
Usage of them: Long-range precision rifle competitions, with some plinking and playing around.

Things I'd like to see improved:
My 10x had noticeable fish-eye, and I never could get sharp focus across the field of view.
My 10x's turrets were mushy enough that I had to switch focus and stare at them to count marks when dialing, because if I tried to just count clicks, I'd often miss one or two right at the start of adjustment.
My 3-15's turrets are mushier than they should be at the price, but acceptable once they've been adjusted the first time each day (or stage, if there's been a long delay).
My 3-15's adjustments are all too stiff, even after quite a lot of use.
All the turrets are too tall and spin-able for anything but competition work (yes, I've had turrets on them turned by accident or without me knowing it until I looked at them).

So, no major gripes with the 3-15 and no outright failures. For a competition scope on a Nat'l Rifle League style gun, I find the 3-15 is the best choice at the price point. For hunting, I find the Weaver Tactical (illum. EMDR) the best choice in FFP scopes at the price point.

Last edited by MZ5; 09/13/17.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A good friend bought a 3-15 last year that wouldn't track or zero right out of the box. Only failure I've heard of.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prm

Shot a buck 15 min or so after sundown last year in fairly dark woods. No problem seeing the reticle but the hash marks weren't distinguishable, not that they were needed.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
They have gone from the best thing since fresh bread to a "value" scope?

Debris in a leupold has been cause for some to go apocalyptic.

Slop in turrets, failed to focus, tracking, adjustments not perfect-enough to make a Leupold basher lose it-lacked features that some desire in a hunting scope, the 1-4 seems to suck, glass isn't the best. However, they do seem to have a great warranty. Hmmmm, heard that someplace before.

Stick lets his swim with the fishes. You guys must have got all the bad ones.

Unless I really decide to move up, I'll think I'll stick with Leupold.

Thanks for your rant. Hope you feel better.

Jason

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Had one with 1/4 MOA adjustments that were actually around .2 inch. They still worked consistently.

Now that's interesting! It would be truly extraordinary if that was the only one of all the gears coming off the part manufacturing line that had the wrong pitch. Wonder where all the others went...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by battue
They have gone from the best thing since fresh bread to a "value" scope?

Debris in a leupold has been cause for some to go apocalyptic.

Slop in turrets, failed to focus, tracking, adjustments not perfect-enough to make a Leupold basher lose it-lacked features that some desire in a hunting scope, the 1-4 seems to suck, glass isn't the best. However, they do seem to have a great warranty. Hmmmm, heard that someplace before.

Stick lets his swim with the fishes. You guys must have got all the bad ones.

Unless I really decide to move up, I'll think I'll stick with Leupold.

Thanks for your rant. Hope you feel better.

Jason

Rant? Just reiterating the posted facts and my own current choice for scopes. Anyway, thanks for the thought. Appreciate it.

(Post something I agree with and I'll give you a positive response, since you seem to disperately need reinforcement.)

Last edited by battue; 09/13/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,946
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.