Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Reason I ask is because I have an Aortic Aneurysm. The Cardiologist told me not to shoot guns with heavy recoil especially since I'm left handed. I don't know what that means. The only cartridge he was familiar with apparently is the 5.56 as he told me that would be fine. But I'm trying to research if I can safely continue shooting things like my .300 Savage and .308 and cannot find the answers I seek? Any thoughts or help is appreciated. This is serious for me because if I rupture it I'll die within seconds.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
shoot right handed, shoot reduced loads, switch out butt pad, muzzle break, mercury reducer, suppressor...I would think you would be good with your .308 with a quality butt pad and muzzle break (if wanted)...research different rounds and their foot pounds of recoil and present to your doctor fro his expert opinion.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know of any research that would apply in any useful fashion. Air Force pilots obviously in good condition on flight status have died because the bump from ejection caught the heart beat at the wrong stage. Nothing to take lightly. In that connection I'd ask about tracking the pulse and firing off cycle with the heart beat.

At a minimum I'd go with a Hydrocoil type stock and muzzle brake if it were me. I might have to merge a shotgun recoil mechanism with a rifle stock. Then I'd step down from a .308 to a .260 and other such accommodations.

Then I'd ask a medical school librarian to find anything at all related. I'd also look at detached retina issues and recoil where I know there is some concern though I have no idea what conclusions are out there.

Donald Hamilton wrote an interesting article on dealing with his physician entitled Excuse Me I Love Guns and another one entitled Block That Kick. Neither addresses the specific issue but there is discussion of dealing with people who say give up shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
Reason I ask is because I have an Aortic Aneurysm. The Cardiologist told me not to shoot guns with heavy recoil especially since I'm left handed. I don't know what that means. The only cartridge he was familiar with apparently is the 5.56 as he told me that would be fine. But I'm trying to research if I can safely continue shooting things like my .300 Savage and .308 and cannot find the answers I seek? Any thoughts or help is appreciated. This is serious for me because if I rupture it I'll die within seconds.

I know two people recently who have died from this condition, one man in his 80's and another who was not quite 50. Neither knew they had this problem. At least you know you have it and can be cautious. Did they give you any options for surgery? If I were you I wouldn't try to shoot anything larger than .22 rimfire. Not worth the chance in my opinion. I wish you well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you Barm. The surgery is high risk and can lead to an Ischemic stroke. They prefer to monitor it and try to let you live with it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM sent.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you are walking around with an aortic aneurysm, do something about it. That pops and you will have no more worrries.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Find out your surgical options and good luck.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Explore every surgical option. If it pops, one will bleed out in seconds.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. Explore every surgical option. If it pops, one will bleed out in seconds.

I have another appointment with the Cardiologist in October. We're definitely going to be discussing this. So far, they haven't felt like I'm in much danger unless I overdo it. I'm trying to figure out what overdoing means in terms of shooting, but there's precious little info available.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Thank you Barm. The surgery is high risk and can lead to an Ischemic stroke. They prefer to monitor it and try to let you live with it.

Find a different Doctor

What size is it?

Have you had an Agiogram or a Echocardiogram yet?

Aortic aneurysms kill people......dead

How do I know this?

I'm an survivor of an Upper Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm

Full on open heart surgery on January 3rd this year

Complete removal and grafted with Dacron using the David Procedure.

I was cleared 8 weeks later for work and my surgeon tells me that I can reume my life.

Including shooting, running.......everything

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dr Bruce Jones in Knoxville TN is one of the best there is at repairing aneurysms

After him its the Heart Institute of Houston

[Linked Image]

Me......hours after surgery

[Linked Image]

4 days after surgery

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My Moms Neighbor Died from this a few months back.....He was just Walking thru the House when it let go, He had been On the Mower.........I would get it fixed asap if I could...Take it real easy..Pay someone to mow the Grass, Hope you get well.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
H o o o l y.........SMOKE Mike !!!

You certainly have a much more serious condition than mine and I didn't know till now.
I have no info of benefit for you. Ted has given the best advice IMO and I implore you to check into it.

Seriously !! I wouldn't recommend shooting any rifle with much recoil.

A GOOD shotgun RECOIL pad will help reduce any rifle's belt.

I don't know about shooting RIGHT handed but lefties HAVE adapted to it. Beside there
are more good rifles available in R H version.

We also know that Pa deer can be kilt DEAD with 243s & 223s so you have options.

I understand that Deer season is just around the corner but I would GET the skinny on recoil
& strain of hunting from Dr S. At least 2 opinions. It would be better to SKIP 1 season than to
lose the battle.

Be careful, Be Safe, Be Smart.
Best Wishes

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Prayers and best wishes from N.C., Mike. Get things right so you can enjoy many more hunting seasons. smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It's okay to miss a hunting season to get patched up and healthy.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the concern and kind words. Ted, man that is awesome that you got fixed up and are all better.
KMM, I can't have someone else cut the grass because that's what I do for a living since my heart problems forced me to give up drywall. smile
Jerry, I'm strongly considering a .22-250 right now.
As far as surgery, I can't make them operate. I've already had two stents placed in my heart by two different cardiologists. One in NC and one in PA. Neither one felt operating was the way to go for me yet. Perhaps the aneurysm isn't large enough. Hopefully it stays that way!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Also looking into a clamp on muzzle brake from Witt machine for my 308.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Worked in Cardiology for about 10 years...most enjoyable jobs I've ever had...Loved it

but after reading your initial post yesterday Mike, I have to admit, instead of posting
I figured you wouldn't be short for advise....

I just put your good health in my prayers...

yeah,it was Thanksgiving 1968, but lost my grandfather on my mom's side
to an aortic aneurysm, at 61 yrs old.

ain't worth playing Russian Roulette with it.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be switching to a crossbow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.