Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Never!

Change filter....add qt. oil every 10,000 miles!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
My truck takes Dextron. It's some sort of high tech schit and doesn't need to be changed as often. I change it whenever the truck tells me to. Works out about every 8000 miles.

This?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2015 Toyota Tundra with non Flex Fuel engine. Every 10,000 miles per manual.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No Lazarus, Jr., You were not the first to be risen from the grave. You were the third.

Did you use the magic oil in your Escalade.. or your Can Am Spyder? of course would have been before you passed.

Dood damn you are spooky. 👀

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GeoW
No Lazarus, Jr., You were not the first to be risen from the grave. You were the third.

Did you use the magic oil in your Escalade.. or your Can Am Spyder? of course would have been before you passed.

Geo
.........Yep. you are right....Lazurus and Christ were first and second.....Nope! Only started using Amsoil after all my free changes were used up at the dealer a few months ago...Have about 6k on the Amsoil.......The Cad I sold 3 years ago.....Still have the Can Am and when it's oil change is due I'll throw in some MAGIC Amsoil....lol.😁 😁 😁 😁. .......Oh yeah....I'm spooky!........BOO......lol.😁 😁 😁

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by GeoW

Geo
.........Yep. you are right....Lazurus and Christ were first and second.....Nope! Only started using Amsoil after all my free changes were used up at the dealer a few months ago...Have about 6k on the Amsoil.......The Cad I sold 3 years ago.....Still have the Can Am and when it's oil change is due I'll throw in some MAGIC Amsoil....lol.😁 😁 😁 😁. .......Oh yeah....I'm spooky!........BOO......lol.😁 😁 😁

Not spooky, just frickin' weird.....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Careful there Geow. The Squeezer he's a black belt.

And a brown one.

I'll bet a rainbow one too.
wink

Just kidding a dead man!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Once per year or every 20k, whichever comes first. Using the new Mobil synthetic.made.for such intervals.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Careful there Geow. The Squeezer he's a black belt.

And a brown one.

I'll bet a rainbow one too.
wink

Just kidding a dead man!
..............lol.........Well u r right on one count....Guess I missed out on the rainbow belt. lol................

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 30338

yep.

Still amazes me that the big 5.7 V8 rolls on 0-20 oil.

Truly, love my Tundra.

Hunt Africa while you can
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rnovi
Originally Posted by 30338

yep.

Still amazes me that the big 5.7 V8 rolls on 0-20 oil.

Truly, love my Tundra.

Lots of people use an oil with a higher viscosity than is necessary and too high to properly lubricate.

The issue is proper lubrication at start-up which the lower vis allows. The higher vis in say a 10W-40 adds little to operating protection and detracts from start-up protection.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Camry I gave away, had 350K on it...and it had leaks...that I didn't feel like getting down into and fixing
since I was replacing the car...

so the last 30,000 miles I had it, I just started running Walmart Super Tech oil in it...

I was always raised with the concept of heavier oil is what you use when your car starts using oil...

But I thought I'd do an experiment since the car was 'disposable' at that point...Since the new
stuff seems to want folks to use 5w20 or 0w20, I thought I'd use Wally World's 5w20 and just
see if it was going to cause any issues..

What surprised me, is that a quart of 5w20 stayed in there longer than a quart of 30 wt.
This was with the oil changed, not mixing the two weights...I was surprised the 5w20 would
stay in there twice as long as the 30 wt would...

Was talking with one of the instructors over at the college, and he said he wasn't surprised...
the 5w20 operated at a lower pressure rating and could get down into tight spots better than
a heavier oil. ( guess tolerances are that tight on newer engines)..

the 30wt running higher oil pressure, would push past seals much easier...

Made sense, whether fact or fiction...

have tried it in my lower mileage 93 Camry, that is used as a run around car.. but still gets
highway trips up to Potland and back... almost 600 miles round trip...

seals are tight on that car, and its not going thru any 5w20 oil...

the 5w20 has been in there 12,500 miles so far since it was changed... and its still fairly clean
and doing its job.. only adding was when I changed the filter and topped it off...

Looking down the filler hole, it doesn't seem to be forming any sludge either.

so contrary to the way I was taught, this light weight oil stuff seems to be doing its job,
and I really don't need to let the car idle a little to warm up before taking off in it...

a habit I've always done...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
so contrary to the way I was taught, this light weight oil stuff seems to be doing its job,
and I really don't need to let the car idle a little to warm up before taking off in it...

a habit I've always done...

There is also plenty of oil listed for high mileage vehicles on the shelves in all weights. Don't know if that is just marketing hype or not, but probably doesn't hurt to use them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Put Amziol in both new vehicles and the mileage has gone up some.

The newer types have a tell in the dash that lest one know when it's time to change.

The 68 and the 63 will get the non synthetic oils but every thing gets the best filter one can get.

Back years ago i used Conklin oil and the engineers from Amzoil if theirs was better or worse.

They said that the only thing i could do to make it better was to get their oil filter system.

I do get it from the parts store in town.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an 86 Ford 150 straight 6. Changed every 4,500 , but the last 30k I didn't change. Never burned much oil. My 96 F150 6 got changed even less. My 05 GMC diesel sued to get changed every 40,000 mi. with Amsoil series 3000 HD diesel with filter every 15k. Decided Amsoil was too much hassle to get. so I went with Shell Rotella 10w30 ( Yellow) and change every 10K and the change oil light comes on almost exactly every 10K anyway. I now have 11K on the Shell 5w40 syn. and will change it in the spring for about 14K? Those oil analysis are really the way to go if you really want to know, otherwise we are all guessing but 5 qts in a car really is cheap. Trucks with 10-18 qts can really get expensive Twenty oil changes every 100k will set you back $1,000 . If you really can get away with every 10K, that is a fairly decent rifle right there. For now on I a going full syn. now that wife got a nice 09 Pontiac G6 2 dr. and I bought an 04 Malibu . All 3 outs used very little oil so I will go with Shell Rotella , Mobil 1 Or find Amsoil . I ran AMsoil for 35k in my cars several times . The engines never failed. We change oil too much. Seems air filters are just as important for clean oil .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do have a cleanable air filter for my 2015 f-100.

K&N makes a good one and it don't take long to clean and get it back up running.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used K&N air filter . Ya just spray oil on it or something. One day my truck ran a bit funny. Then worse . Took it to my mechanic and the computer said Massive Airflow sensor was bad. He took it out and cleaned it. I asked does this happen to all the Duramax engines and he said , only thing he can tell is guys who use K&N filters cause of the oil in the filter. He didn't know I used K&N at one time . I changed it when it started running funny, hoping that would help . I figured he could very well be right about oil messing the sensor. Now I just use Napa. I also used an Amsoil air filter that you could clean out 4 times. never bothered more than once though.

Last edited by ihookem; 09/16/17.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Did we already cover how often we change valve cover gaskets?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Did we already cover how often we change valve cover gaskets?

why yes we did....

Gee Bill, you are not one of those that think changing them is going to ruin the Ozone, cause globing
warming etc...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"The 68 and the 63 will get the non synthetic oils but every thing gets the best filter one can get"

Amsoil has a high zinc synthetic oil for older cars called Z ROD.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (21, 1minute, 06hunter59, 219DW, 204guy, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,453
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.