-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Over-the-counter WD, or is that prescription strength?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by RipSnort
What have you found to be the most effective over-the-counter arthritis drug, especially for hands? Not just for easing pain but for range of motion.

Thanks, RS

After you laugh give it a try. my brother-in-law used to be a millwright. He had arthritis in his hands. One day he got some WD40 all over his hands and in a couple minutes they quit hurting. I tried it on my knee and rubbed it in. Almost by the time I finished I was pain free. After using it for a couple years my knee appears to be well.

I called the WD40 company to asked them about it. The guy told me they get at least one call per week telling them how good it is and every time I tell them it is not for human use.

Wonder what your blood tests look like.....

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What have you found to be the most effective over-the-counter arthritis drug, especially for hands? Not just for easing pain but for range of motion.

Thanks, RS

After you laugh give it a try. my brother-in-law used to be a millwright. He had arthritis in his hands. One day he got some WD40 all over his hands and in a couple minutes they quit hurting. I tried it on my knee and rubbed it in. Almost by the time I finished I was pain free. After using it for a couple years my knee appears to be well.

I called the WD40 company to asked them about it. The guy told me they get at least one call per week telling them how good it is and every time I tell them it is not for human use.

Interesting. I wonder if that causes cancer over time?

Of course, what doesn't now days...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Thanks, RS

I go in every year for a full physical, which includes a complete blood workup. The doctor said I am healthy as a horse. Like I said in the other post, my knee is completely pain free and has been that way for fifteen years.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 Aleve and 2 shots of vodka works very well.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have been using Mobic/meloxicam daily since '09 for arthritus in my hands. The Dr wanted to rebuild my right thumb in '09, but I have put off the surgery for eight years via use of NSAIDS. I also had to start Omeprazol to control stomach pain. So an Omeprazol each night and morning plusthe Mobic each evening allows me to function at work.

But now that regimin is failing to control pain and inflamation in hips and knees, so i have added 600 mg of ibuprofin each night and morning. Got an apt with orthapedic surgeon in two weeks to see what can be done.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Thanks, RS

Crude!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an elderly cousin that swore by WD-40 as arthritis for His knees. I can barely tolerate the smell when I have to use it outdoors. I have been taking Etodolac 500Mg tablets twice a day for probably 20 years for Arthritis in my neck and shoulders. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Voltaren is very effective for arthritis, especially hands and feet,and back. Only trouble is it,s a prescription. in USA.
in Canada it,s over the counter. They also have 2.3% vs the 1% we have here.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Thanks, RS

I go in every year for a full physical, which includes a complete blood workup. The doctor said I am healthy as a horse. Like I said in the other post, my knee is completely pain free and has been that way for fifteen years.

Snake oil salesmen of the 19th century depended on ppl like you for a living.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

Thanks, RS

What kind of arthritis do you have? If you have osteoarthritis from overuse and all the cartilage in the joint is worn away I don't know of anything you can take for the pain and remain concious. I've had 3 finger joints replaced in the last 4 years because the cartilage was gone and the bone was wearing away. Go to a good orthopedic surgeon for an examination, an x-ray will show how much cartilage is left in your hand joints. My Mother had rheumatoid arthritis in her later years and she was prescribed drugs that reduced the pain.

Last edited by victoro; 09/16/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Thanks, RS

Can you refute the fact every week someone calls WD40 with glowing reports of it helping them? Can you refute the fact that my brother-in-law never heard about it helping with pain and discovered empirically that it helped him enough to pass the good word along to me? Can you refute the fact that my knee would quit hunting almost instantly? Can you refute the fact that my knee has not hurt for at least a dozen years?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks, RS

As a natural-born skeptic, I tend to think many things are a snake oil remedy. Like the idea of rubbing Vick's on the bottoms of one's feet to treat night-time coughing. The manufacturer doesn't make such recommendation. Nor does the maker of WD-40 suggest that their product be used topically. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work - as many people far and wide have suggested. Nor does it mean that either practice is safe or healthy. But few people would argue that a sufficient dose of grain neutral spirits isn't effective in reducing certain pains. Again, certain side effects might make it's use as medical treatment somewhat undesirable. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Can you refute the fact every week someone calls WD40 with glowing reports of it helping them? Can you refute the fact that my brother-in-law never heard about it helping with pain and discovered empirically that it helped him enough to pass the good word along to me? Can you refute the fact that my knee would quit hunting almost instantly? Can you refute the fact that my knee has not hurt for at least a dozen years?

I don't need to refute any anecdotal statements as to the efficacy of unproven folk remedies. On the contrary it's you that have all the burden of proof as the science currently stands on my side of the argument.

One thing is for sure though frequent repeated transdermal delivery of petroleum distillates over a period years will dramatically increase your likelihood of developing a multitude of cancers.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One thing is for sure though frequent repeated transdermal delivery of petroleum distillates over a period years will dramatically increase your likelihood of developing a multitude of cancers.

Which might be the very reason no credibility is given to certain "snake oil" treatments. Then again, while I make no defense for cancer causing materials, one has only to watch many of the multitude ads for FDA approved drugs to realize that heart attack, stroke, depression, suicidal thoughts, death and other factors are 'weighed' in their recommendation for use.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/16/17.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thanks, RS

Tylenol extra strength worked for me. Mobic, a prescription medication, worked better. Lots of folks with bad tickers can't take NSAIDS. Taking vodka with any pain reliever is, well, not prudent.

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
On the contrary it's you that have all the burden of proof as the science currently stands on my side of the argument.

Both of these statements are clear over-reaches, if not outright untrue.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I don't need to refute any anecdotal statements as to the efficacy of unproven folk remedies. On the contrary it's you that have all the burden of proof as the science currently stands on my side of the argument.

As far as scientific applies. I am not into that here. I don't remember the original poster asking for scientific reviews here so I gave some info that helped my brother-in-law and me; and apparently several others according to the number of calls WD40 gets.

It appears you're doing something very UNscientific here. It appears you are assuming I did it for years. I applied it for a few months and didn't need to anymore for the rest of my life. If it killed the nerves, fine. If it healed the problem, that is even better.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As mentioned WD40 is a petroleum distillate. Not much different than rubbing gasoline onto the area. Did it heal you? Most definitely no, because as of now there isn't a cure for arthritis. Treatments yes. Cures no. Did it kill the nerves? Well, let's hope not. Nerves control organs, muscle function, sensory recognition. Bone nerves usually are sensory in nature and serve the purpose of letting you know when something is wrong. Kill them and you end up damaging the bone further and eventually, you would have additional problems. Arthritis doesn't go away, and since you no longer have the problem, the best-case guess is you had a soft tissue/muscle injury that referred pain to the knee and eventually healed.

One thing for sure would be that petroleum distillates are not good for the lungs. Long-term breathing of WD40 droplets will most definitely case irreversible lung damage, and it doesn't much with fragile lung tissue. How is WD40 metabolized or eliminated from the body? Liver? Kidneys? I don't know, but long-term flushing can't be good for either.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, I am saying there is more than a better chance that it is not an innocuous remedy.

Last edited by battue; 09/16/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
DMSO helps knuckles.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.