Hop To
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Argumentum ad absurdum just met his match...

Maybe so.

Some people cannot understand the truths that such a method reveals, others, apparently, simply and willfully refuse to do so.

In any case, reduction to the absurd is a perfectly valid way of discovering and demonstrating limits. Not only is it a valid method, it is indispensable for both logical and mathematical purposes. Entire fields of math would be impossible with out it.

Whether someone lacks the metal capacity to understand or willfully refuses, the truths revealed are still truths.

Gone fishing, where I'll be trying for the weed line.

You are the one failing to understand... just saying...

You can lead a fool to water, but you can't make him think...

Show me where I'm wrong.

I doubt smokinrope will provide a "realm of common sense" velocities for a .264" 123g Scenar - or any other particular bullet - because the moment he does he has defines the "realm of common sense" energies.

Everybody has tried and you are refusing to listen... the strawman runs strong in you...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Duck and dodge indeed. Why don't you answer my questions for a change. Then I'll answer yours.

What is it you want to know?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Now let me ask you a couple of questions. Have you ever shot a bullet at 100 fps, or heard of anyone else who has? Does shooting a bullet at 100 fps make sense to you? Do you know of any bullet manufacturers that design centerfire bullets to perform properly at 100 fps and below?

Thanks!!

But I repeat myself.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Coyote_Hunter]
Now let me ask you a couple of questions. Have you ever shot a bullet at 100 fps, or heard of anyone else who has? Does shooting a bullet at 100 fps make sense to you? Do you know of any bullet manufacturers that design centerfire bullets to perform properly at 100 fps and below?
Thanks!!

But I repeat myself.....

Have I ever shot a bullet at 100fps or heard of someone who has? No. But that only helps validate the point I was making by referencing 100fps. Nobody does it because velocity is an important factor (along with mass and bullet construction) in determining how the bullet will perform. Which is exactly the point I was making.

Shooting bullets at 100fps might be adequate for taking mice. For elk I use a rule of thumb of 1500fpe. It would take a 10-pound bullet at 100fps to generate 1500fpe. Not very practical and range would suck.

Do any manufacturers design centerfire bullets to "perform properly" at 100fps? One could argue the point since solids for DG and hardcast are designed not to expand or to do so minimally. They would perform pretty much that way if shot at 100fps, too.

When selecting big game bullets I look at a variety of factors:

1. For weight I tend to lean toward mid-range bullets for any given caliber. "Tend" being the keyword.

2. For velocity I look at the performance range of the bullet. For expanding lead-core bullets I tend to use 1800fps as the minimum impact velocity. For monos I tend to prefer more, about 2000fps. Again, "tend" and "prefer" are the key words. For most bullets I shoot, 1800fps retained much further downrange than I'm willing to shoot. Some start out much slower than 1800fps.

3. B.C. is important to me only because higher values helps the bullet retain velocity - and therefore energy - downrange. But it is the downrange energy that is important to me, not the B.C. a millisecond before impact.

4. Bullet construction is much more important to me than specific B.C. or velocity or energy minimums. I prefer bullets that will expand reliably but in a controlled and limited manner over as wide a velocity range as possible. North Fork SS bullets are great at that although B.C. suffers. Other favorites in terms of my use are Barnes TTSX, Nosler AccuBond, Speer Grand Slam, Swift A-Frame and Swift Scirocco II - pretty much in that order.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You didn't answer the question "does shooting a bullet at 100 fps make sense to you?"

That's the answer I'm waiting to hear.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't answer the question "does shooting a bullet at 100 fps make sense to you?"

"Shooting bullets at 100fps might be adequate for taking mice. For elk I use a rule of thumb of 1500fpe. It would take a 10-pound bullet at 100fps to generate 1500fpe. Not very practical and range would suck."

But I'm repeating myself...

If you need a single monosyllabic answer to understand the answer, it would be "No". But using 100fps as I did to prove a point is perfectly valid. If energy doesn't matter then velocity doesn't matter either.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/18/17.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, "again you duck and dodge." This is the big game forum, who said anything about shooting mice?

For big game, shooting a bullet at 100 fps makes no sense. As you tried hard not to admit above.

So when you asked me whether I'd shoot a bullet at 100 fps, you were asking me whether I'd do something that makes no sense to you.

Does that make sense to you?

Never mind, stupid question. Of course it makes sense to you.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quoted for posterity:

"Shooting bullets at 100fps might be adequate for taking mice. For elk I use a rule of thumb of 1500fpe. It would take a 10-pound bullet at 100fps to generate 1500fpe. Not very practical and range would suck."

But I'm repeating myself...

If you need a single monosyllabic answer to understand the answer, it would be "No". But using 100fps as I did to prove a point is perfectly valid. If energy doesn't matter then velocity doesn't matter either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The short and long of it is B.C. never killed anything, velocity never killed anything, mass never killed anything and momentum never killed anything.

Destruction of vital function is what kills and that requires energy - energy that is transferred from the bullet to the target.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many moons ago I bought a drilling at a gun show and the previous owner had a long series of notes about every shot he had taken with it.

Included were pages of scrawled calculations... well, lists of muzzle energy combinations between the rifle with various bullets (8x57JR) and the two 16 gauge barrels, (different shot sizes versus slugs versus buck shot, etc) as well as other calculations for the use of the .22lr insert for a shotgun barrel!

I just realized I might have bought Coyote Hunter's drilling!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
SItka deer is right, the strawman runs strong in you. No surprise there, it's all you've got.

The short and long of it is B.C. never killed anything, velocity never killed anything, mass never killed anything and momentum never killed anything.

Destruction of vital function is what kills and that requires energy - energy that is transferred from the bullet to the target.

No one said BC or any of those ever killed anything. BC was down the list of my preferences for bullets.

But it's interesting that you left accuracy and shot placement off your list and tout "energy" as the one thing that matters. Because you can have all the energy you want but if you shoot an elk in the ass you won't likely recover it. Which is the objective of everything else that goes into it. Shot placement trumps energy but it's nowhere on your list. No surprise there either.

And it's telling that you believe the most important thing about BC is that it helps retain energy. Ask any knowledgeable shooter why BC is important and that's not the answer you'll get.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No one said BC or any of those ever killed anything. BC was down the list of my preferences for bullets.

But it's interesting that you left accuracy and shot placement off your list and tout "energy" as the one thing that matters. Because you can have all the energy you want but if you shoot an elk in the ass you won't likely recover it. Which is the objective of everything else that goes into it. Shot placement trumps energy but it's nowhere on your list. No surprise there either.

And it's telling that you believe the most important thing about BC is that it helps retain energy. Ask any knowledgeable shooter why BC is important and that's not the answer you'll get.

I'v never said "the one thing that matters". What I've said repeatedly is that destruction of vital function is what kills, that such destruction requires energy and that a bullet's energy determines the maximum amount of work (destruction) that it can do.

For a bullet to destroy vital function obviously requires adequate placement, so I have not left accuracy out. If vital function to be destroyed, accuracy must be adequate.

Higher B.C. values help bullets shoot flatter because they help the bullets retain more velocity and therefore energy. Reduced wind drift is a result of the higher retained velocity and energy. For most of my hunting I've used relatively low B.C. bullets and they have worked very well because they retained adequate energy in spite of their relatively low B.C. value. B.C. alone never killed anything. If it did, a high B.C. bullet in your pocket would be as effective killing game as one with 1500fpe.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/19/17.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does using a high BC bullet in your pocket make sense to you?

Pocket pool aside, I mean.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does using a high BC bullet in your pocket make sense to you?

Pocket pool aside, I mean.

Just making the point that high B.C. values don't kill anything. If they did a high B.C. bullet in your pocket would be deadly.

High B.C. values have never been that important to me because lower B.C. bullets have worked just fine at the ranges I'm willing to shoot. I'm more interested in the totality of the solution than a single factor thereof. Adequate B.C., velocity, mass and bullet construction, not the highest, fastest, heaviest or even the "best" construction.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/19/17. Reason: spelnig

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm more interested in the totality of the solution than a single factor thereof. Adequate B.C., velocity, mass and bullet construction, not the highest, fastest, heaviest or even the "best" construction.

Well that's something we can agree on. And the more I use them and see people like Scenarshooter and others who kill stuff for a living using "target bullets" successfully and in high volume, the less important I think bullet construction is. For North American ungulates anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's it! I am selling all my guns and buying calculators! Numbers kill!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's it! I am selling all my guns and buying calculators! Numbers kill!

Let us know how that works out for you.

Think I'll stick to my firearms. They're pretty efficient at delivering the necessary energy to the right places.

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.