Print Thread
Hop To
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a Leupold fixed 4x scope that I will be mounting on a Husqvarna 146 in 9.3.

I'm thinking going with either the German 4, which I have used before, or going with the Leupold Dot. (the larger dot).
Rifle will be mainly used in timber with the possibility of shooting across Senecas.

Has anyone here had/have any experience with the Leupold Dot in any hunting application?

Also, the rifle came with weaver mounts but was wondering if there was anything else out there that could be used on the Husqvarna?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Used them for years and like them more than a little. If you go that way go for the biggest. In Leupold that is around 3minutes. I would really like 4minutes, but can't get it.

Nice for when the game is moving out and the term floating dot is appropriate. Have mainly used them in the wood, but did take one Buck at around 320 with a 3minute dot. Floated it on the back line.

The downside is they get lost early AM and late PM. Still use them, but have started to learn more towards the HD and PD due to the mentioned downside. Have snow on the ground, they will still do fine early and late. Bare ground they will fade.

Addition: if you know the average brisket dimension of the animal and the dot size they can be used to rough calculate reasonable distance.

Last edited by battue; 09/14/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks Battue!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got a couple of Leupold scopes with them...

Not in all circumstances, but if a real dark background, my eyes
can loose sight of the dot...

I also use some German # 1s, the heavy ones.. I prefer those
that top of the post, substitutes nicely for a dot, like a big finger
just pointing at the spot to aim...

quicker target acquistion for the German # 1

and they don't get lost in dark back grounds...

dots are fine in open country.

this is what works well for my eyesight.. others may differ

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
After being raised on plex reticles, I found that I could not get used to a dot. My mind always wants me to peek around behind the dot to see what I'm missing. Thus, I find them slow and don't figure that it is worth re-training my brain to use them fast.

And the Leupie dot gets lost in dark situations for me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like an illuminated dot would be the ticket. My only experience is with another brand of scope that has crosshairs with illuminated dot. It works well for me.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My favorite reticle is the Leupold German #4 where the intersection of the crosshairs has a dot that illuminates on a rheostat.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I too like the German #1. My second through about fifth deer were taken with a borrowed rifle with a Weaver scope with a Lee dot. I liked the dot a lot, but larger would have been better.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.