Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
About every 4 months there is another story like this. Somebody drives their car into the pond.
What they need to do is immediately roll the window down, while they still have electricity. Get out of the car!
And swim, 15 feet to safety.
Instead, they go for the cell phone and make a final, sad call to their Mama.

New York Daily News NEWS Facebook Twitter Instagram SUBSCRIBE
California 24-year-old killed after crashing into an aqueduct phoned her mom to say ‘I love you’ in final moments
BY JESSICA SCHLADEBECK
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, September 16, 2017, 2:49 PM

A 24-year-old woman who survived cancer and a kidney transplant died when her car plunged into an aqueduct in California — but not before telling her mother she loved her one last time.

Xanthel Linares was driving in Hisperia when she lost control of her vehicle and plunged into an aqueduct near Main Street and Escondido Avenue just after midnight, according to a press release from San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department news release.

As her car sank deeper into the water, Linares pulled out her phone and called her mother.

“She said, ‘Mommy, the car. I went in the water,” her mother Patricia Linares told reporters during a press conference. “She was screaming desperately.”

Overcome by her loss, she stepped away from microphones, leaving Linares’ sister to finish the heartbreaking story, according to CBS.

“The last words that she was able to say to my mom before she went under completely and was no longer able to speak was ‘I love you,’” she said, also holding back tears.

The vehicle had been traveling on the right side of the fog line before it hit the curb and ended up in the canal, spokeswoman Jodi Miller told KTLA.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If ya can't roll the windows down, or break one, then you just gotta wait til the inside of the car mostly fills with water, so that the water pressure on the door is equalized.

Then, you can open the door and get out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know a kid in first grade whose dad died for this reason. In those days his window was likely a roll-down, not auto. Either way, it happened in winter in the northern midwest and he'd have likely passed from hypothermia anyways. Sad.

Break or roll the window down as you undo your belt, take a big breath, exit and swim to the light.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sadly she was never taught to do for herself.

A lot of parents today do no favors to their kids when they raise them.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought this was going to be about a fart.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sides of that aqueduct are steep and concrete, doubtful she could have gotten out on her own. Along with the current, it might be hard to stay afloat unless one was a good swimmer, but at least out of the car she had a chance, even if slim.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Fubarski
If ya can't roll the windows down, or break one, then you just gotta wait til the inside of the car mostly fills with water, so that the water pressure on the door is equalized.

Then, you can open the door and get out.

Better yet, put a spring loaded punch on your key ring...they work great at shattering windows and who knows, you might be able to help somebody else that's trapped.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Kinda makes you wonder if the cell phone wasn't invented yet if her first reaction would have been different....

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
I thought this was going to be about a fart.

Me 3

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 67 invisible), 3,340 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.