Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Due to an aneurysm in my heart my Dr. has me limited to .223 class rifles. I'm deciding between a .223 or a .22-250 now and expect to purchase one within the next two weeks. Now Bear season is one of my favorite hunting seasons but given my cartridge restrictions should I just forget about it? I really love to go but am not sure of the ethics involved with .22 centerfires and Black Bears.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, it's legal in PA. And under the right circumstances it would work.

Having read your other thread.... I would be pushing for more answers/clarification from the doctors. And that would be my main concern over this hunting season.

Your condition could be a ticking time bomb, and deserves your full attention... If you want stick around for long.

As far as a .22 cal for bear, take it and hunt. If you have a shot opportunity, take a good shot. But it's certainly not ideal.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well, my Dr's want me hunting. They agree that physical exercise is crucial for me in staying above terra firma. My one cardiologist even told me to hunt mountains. So I'm cleared to go I just am not allowed to get winded or subject myself to much recoil. Which means I'm free to hunt wherever I want at a reasonable pace but I can't drag anything out.
A revolver is also tempting as I used to hunt with one (it was stolen) and I killed a couple deer with it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you have a doctor who is telling you to hunt in the mountains but not get winded I'd get a new doctor. He's telling you to do something he's obviously unfamiliar with. Not a good sign.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
black bears are not particularly tough. Any good .22 caliber soft point through the ribs should kill out to a couple hundred yards. I would be very careful with your heart though

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
If you have a doctor who is telling you to hunt in the mountains but not get winded I'd get a new doctor. He's telling you to do something he's obviously unfamiliar with. Not a good sign.

I gotta agree....no medical student, but I know this, you have an aneurysm your Dr. is telling you to go ahead and climb mountains but don't shoot a rifle larger than 223????? Again, no medical expert here....but I think it might be "second opinion" time. Stay out of the mountains and use a 243 or 260 would be more like it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
Due to an aneurysm in my heart my Dr. has me limited to .223 class rifles. I'm deciding between a .223 or a .22-250 now and expect to purchase one within the next two weeks. Now Bear season is one of my favorite hunting seasons but given my cartridge restrictions should I just forget about it? I really love to go but am not sure of the ethics involved with .22 centerfires and Black Bears.
The 22-250 is an excellent round. However, many rifles have 1 in 14 twists and won't stabilize bullets much above 55 gr. There are some with 1 in 8 twists that are better for this job.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How about a .44 rifle? Super mild recoil, lot better bullet choices

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd not feel horribly undergunned with a 223 loaded with the right bullets for black bears. You like Barnes bullets, right, Mike? Seems like a heavy Barnes in the forward ribs would do the job. Or you could shoot for the head/neck or other CNS. Or you could hunt with a wildcat based on a small case, like the Grendel, or 6.8 SPC, or Blackout. The right bullet in either of those three would be slick and handy.

Get a PAST recoil pad, and wear a couple layers of clothing, and whatever recoil there is will be spread out to the point that it will be negligible. Lots of ways to go. Remember that you will be hunting, which isn't the same as killing. I've done lots of mountain-climbing with guns, hiking with guns, and strolling through the woods with guns. No shooting was required, but I enjoyed it immensely.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd have to agree with the posts above. 6.8 SPC in an AR or a 44 magnum carbine would both be good. The 6.8 is about like a 257 Roberts in it's balistics, and the 44 with a hard 250 grain or heavier bullet will exit a bear. I know. I have done it from handguns, so I am certain a rifle will be fine too.

The lever actions kick much harder then you'd think with full power loads but a Ruger Auto would be good. Autos may need full power loads to cycle well

In a Lever Acton there is no reason to need full power loads. If you load with a 250+ hard cast bullet at only 1300 FPS M.V. you will see the gun kicks very little. and the bullet will do all you need on deer and black bear. I have shot 1200 FPS 44s clear through elk from a 4" revolver, so I know that they will work.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

That was my cardiologist in NC. My Cardiologist in PA and I are meeting in a couple weeks and hunting season will be the focus of my questions.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Some of the Montana guys have take bear with the .22's, but that hunting is different from the brush in Pa.

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
10mm, 44 SPL, Mag, 45 LC pistola/revolver would be my suggestion

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by moosemike

That was my cardiologist in NC. My Cardiologist in PA and I are meeting in a couple weeks and hunting season will be the focus of my questions.

Good deal. Hope it turns out well.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
How about hunting bear with a bow?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes I would.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would hunt and choose shots well ... Barnes makes some bullets that come to mind.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I would hunt and choose shots well ... Barnes makes some bullets that come to mind.

That's the direction I'm leaning.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Your heart can't handle the recoil of a bigger cartridge but can handle the hills?

I doubt a .223 or 22-250 is going to have trouble with a bear.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Your heart can't handle the recoil of a bigger cartridge but can handle the hills?

I doubt a .223 or 22-250 is going to have trouble with a bear.

Dave

That's what they tell me. They want me physically active but not to the point of getting winded.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 21, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,689
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.