Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12276963 09/17/17
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Been removing and stacking in burn piles a bunch of big oak trees for a little old widow woman here.

Quite the job,

Anyway, I get to a section of fence that has a broken tree on top of it. Tree broke at a hollow about 20' up.

There's bees swarming at the break on top, and at the part that broken on the ground. I can see a good bit of honeycomb exposed on the piece on the ground.

I have to cut the downed part with my chainsaw to carry the branches with my tractor to the burn pile.

How do I kill the bees quickly without getting attacked myself? I'm quite sure these are Africanized bees, as a friend told me awhile back the vast majority are now..

Any help is appreciated.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have a clue but please please please have someone video this caper. smile

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Things like that are more humorous in the cartoons.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Were it me I would get ahold of a beekeeper and see if he can capture the queen and take the bees away. If he cannot he can tell you how to be rid of them.

I have had them sprayed when they got in a hole left in the brick wall by the removal of a payphone years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sounds like a job for the Duck Dynasty crew. Didn't they have an episode where they tried to rob a beehive? I don't know about the African bees, but around here, there are people who keep bees that will come and get them in situations like that.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think RIO7 told me that they knock them down with tide detergent and water in a sprayer. He deals with them a lot. PM him. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'll try and take pictures of this whole mess.

There's huge amounts of bees swarming both the top left in the standing tree trunk, and the section on bottom.

Afraid if I use a contact killer, they will swarm from the side I'm not spraying.

Got good advice from Greg W on this yesterday evening by phone. I'll order some Taurus insecticide... Then give them a couple of days to die off.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Do it with great care Barry, bee stings hurt. The more they sting, the more it hurts.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

There's huge amounts of bees swarming both the top left in the standing tree trunk, and the section on bottom.

Afraid if I use a contact killer, they will swarm from the side I'm not spraying.

Got good advice from Greg W on this yesterday evening by phone. I'll order some Taurus insecticide... Then give them a couple of days to die off.

I bought some Taurus insecticide, for use around outbuildings and inside them. My main targets were ants outside, and brown recluse spiders inside. I've not seen any ants since, and have found some dead spiders. It seems to work. If I was wanting to kill them, I'd just mix half gas and half diesel and spray the snot out them. I used to do that on wasps and bumblebee nests in tobacco barns, and it will kill on contact.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I bought some Taurus insecticide, for use around outbuildings and inside them. My main targets were ants outside, and brown recluse spiders inside. I've not seen any ants since, and have found some dead spiders. It seems to work. If I was wanting to kill them, I'd just mix half gas and half diesel and spray the snot out them. I used to do that on wasps and bumblebee nests in tobacco barns, and it will kill on contact.

I mentioned that to Greg, and he said he encounters many large hives in hollow trees that may infiltrate the tree for many feet. Contact killers will kill the ones you spray, but those deep inside are not gonna get a dose.

This stuff is carried to the far reaches of the hive. Every nook and cranny by the bees themselves. Then they ALL die with a couple of days.... smile

I have seen that on honey trees here. Hard to kill 'em all.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.