Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
jim, isn't that the truth of it, and the sadness of it. I just heard a quote the other day," the only ones who like war and combat are those that haven't been in a war or combat"
prescott in the 60's was john wayne country and american grafitti, until the boxes started coming home.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only a Progressive Fascist liar would blame the Vietnam on anyone but LBJ. He sent 500,000 men to fight and die while preventing them from even attempting to win. He sent men to die solely to make himself look tough. Nixon attempted to clean up the disaster that LBJ created.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Gus
yeah, and if that wasn't enough, ol jimmah carter came along and pardoned all the folks who fled to canada under the reign of johnson the war criminal. according to the nuremborg trials, an aggressor is a war criminal, no? i didn't like the fact that ol jimmah let those folks walk, without even a slap on the wrist. that signaled the beginnng of the breakdown of the national identity imho......

In the interest of truth, President Gerald Ford actually was first to offer a conditional clemency plan to draft dodgers and deserters of the Vietnam war era a few years before President Carter's amnesty plan. Carter's amnesty plan just expanded Ford' clemency plan. Some believe Ford's plan was more or less to placate the public angry over President Nixon's full and unconditional pardon.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news...al-Amnesty-to-Vietnam-Draft-Dodgers.html

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have very good friend who was a draft resistor. Spent almost 2 years in Federal prison because of his decision, he payed the price. I have as much respect for him as I do fellow Veterans. Draft "dodgers" I hold in very low regard. Makes little difference in the big picture because everybody was pardoned.

USMC Vietnam Veteran
Semper Fi

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
"We don't have a prayer of staying in Vietnam. These people hate us. But, I can't give up a piece of territory like that to the Communists, and get the people to re-elect me." John F Kennedy to "a friend"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, Phil must have missed that or I'm sure he would have pointed it out. Not.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recorded the first episode last night, then had to record the second while watching the first. I'll get caught up tonight.

I joined the USMC in 1960 with the certain and sure knowledge that I would be going to Korea before my four year hitch ended. We would" finish that little fracas up" I was told by the Recruiter. All the Drill Instructors were of the same opinion.

I put in my four years, with a tour in Okinawa and Japan and never heard of Vietnam.

We did put on a big live fire demo in 1961 for some Generals from some SE Asian country, maybe Laos, that we were trying to get to join SEATO, but Vietnam was never mentioned.

I got out in Feb of 1964 and within a couple years, Vietnam was ALL you could hear about.

It's interesting to see all that was going on that ordinary folks like me knew nothing about.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by fburgtx
"We don't have a prayer of staying in Vietnam. These people hate us. But, I can't give up a piece of territory like that to the Communists, and get the people to re-elect me." John F Kennedy to "a friend"

Yeah, I heard that.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just glad they don't have smell-o-vision.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

I thought that was revealing.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

I've always found it strange/fascinating/infuriating just how much of a "pass" JFK has been given in history. The Bay of Pigs was a complete stab in the back. Cuban Missile Crisis?? What else was he gonna do?? Tell Russia to go ahead and park missiles 90 miles off the Florida coast?? Civil rights?? He didn't do much of anything. Republicans passed it. LBJ signed it. Taxes?? I like what he proposed, but most Dems would think he was a Republican if they knew what his thoughts were on taxes. Space?? Eisenhower got that going. Kennedy screwed up in Vietnam as much as anyone did. The guy was "good looking", and quite simply, was killed before he had the chance to really screw anything up...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just before Kennedy was shot, I think they said we had 47,000 Americans in Vietnam. We were still at the "advisor" stage right?
Last nights show was most interesting to me because it revealed what Truman, Ike, and Kennedy would have done with Kim Jung Dumbass in Korea.

I'm paraphrasing but they said the rise of communist dictators should be stopped before they get established. I believe he (or his father for that matter) would have been dead long ago, even with communist China backing them and missiles pointed at Seoul

Last edited by KFWA; 09/19/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last night's episode brought to light the common denominator of corruption which is always a byproduct of US involvement .

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

And later they said we could not leave because we had sacrificed 10,000 dead. So we stayed. And then we couldn't leave because we had 20,000 dead. And, and...

Kennedy and LBJ were criminals in my opinion.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The information regarding the authorization of the coup was pretty scary. Buncha a schit signed off on that wasn't really signed off on.

The monk story was also good. Like toltegritz I had never heard or read the backstory on that.

Two things I don't like is I fear the overall PBS message is going to end up being "See how fighting communism is stupid?" I also don't like that they spent this amount of time researching things only to reveal something was told to a "friend." Well, ok. But what was his fugking name? Or her name. Which considering it was Kennedy is probably more likely.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ken Burns has always had an agenda.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
The information regarding the authorization of the coup was pretty scary. Buncha a schit signed off on that wasn't really signed off on.

Kennedy was on vacation and some assistant something or other was sitting around and was like "yea, take that sumbitch out, "

Seems like a no win however when you're backing a dictator that doesn't allow religious tolerance against the primary religion of the country. That's not going to end well. Plus that wife of Nhu was a complete bitch comparing monks to bar-b-q. Of course she was the one that lived.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"Two things I don't like is I fear the overall PBS message is going to end up being "See how fighting communism is stupid,,,,,,"

Keep your eye on this statement. It has the potential to go far.

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bob, I'll repeat, Ken Burns has an agenda.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Bob, I'll repeat, Ken Burns has an agenda.

wink

Founder

WS

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (270wsmnutt, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 219DW, 56 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,276
Posts18,525,527
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.