-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was reading the thread about Leupold tracking and retention issues in the Optics forum and have to say that, while I still like their scopes overall I have certainly had issues with various versions of their basic Vari-X 3-9 scopes over the last 15 or more years - two or three going belly up which they do fix for free but a lot of them seem to track very intermittently. Go up 1" (4 clicks) and the first bullet hole stays where the others were, then the rest of the group prints 2" high and 1" off on windage, Move it back down 4 clicks and the group appears randomly somewhere else. Once sighted in they do tend to stay put, but then I don't mess with the zero much once it's set. OTOH, I have a 25+ year old fixed M8 12x and it is dead reliable for tracking. Btw, I do not crank down the ring screws farmer tight having learned the error of that some time ago.

But to the point of this thread, how do Burris scopes perform for tracking and overall reliability? I seem to recall that you always had good things to say about Burris scopes so I was looking at the basic Fullfield II 3-9x40 to mount on a new .308. They can be had for $165 on Amazon and that sure seems like a lot of scope for the money.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had very good luck with Burris scopes, both in adjustments and overall reliability. In fact I recently mounted a discontinued FFII 3-9x40 with a 30mm tube on a Barrett Fieldcraft .243. The scope was made back when twistint turrets was still pretty new, and while I don't run scopes up and down like competition shooters, it's seen plenty of adjusting when shooting abundant burrowing rodents. I just checked it out on the .243 and it still works as well as ever.

Have also tested Burris E1, C4 Plus, and XTR II (their 34mm-tube "tactical" scope) for accurate adjustments and they worked great. In fact right now I have a 3-9x C4 Plus on a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, where it's done extremely well.

Got my first Burris back in the 1980's, and it was apparently bad out of the box. Burris replaced it quickly, and the replacement worked fine. Have probably owned two dozen Burris scopes since and all have worked well, with none going bad on a wide variety of rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a couple older Burris scopes.They track well and keep zero.I am not a turret twister and cannot comment on that.A lot of bang for the buck.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What Huntz said

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have 4 Burris Signature Select and one Fullfield E1 scopes on rifles from 7x57 to .300 Weatherby and none have had issues. I have thinned my Leupold herd to 2. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,719
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.