Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The reasoned part of my post still stands.

I agree. There are lots of different reasons for ML seasons and they vary by state. Some eastern states are covered up with whitetails and their main objective is to reduce numbers. Traditional rifles are not the best for that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Regardless of what what rifle was used, when I was in the business (30 odd years ago) everyone wanted me to teach them everything I knew about muzzleloading the week before they were leaving for their great hunting expedition! Ahh! Those were the days.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The reasoned part of my post still stands.

I agree. There are lots of different reasons for ML seasons and they vary by state. Some eastern states are covered up with whitetails and their main objective is to reduce numbers. Traditional rifles are not the best for that.

That makes sense for the conditions.

I've seen the sport I grew up loving become a rush to technology and don't personally like the trend, so I won't back off that part of my sentiments. These special seasons were intended as primitive weapons seasons, but they have now become a dickkk-measuring contest all about the newest and best technology. If that gets you up, so be it, and have fun, honestly.

I applaud my home State's regulations that keep the traditions and minimize the impact of modernized "primitive" weapons. Where deer populations are exploding it CERTAINLY does make sense to be far more liberal in seasons and approaches. I wish we had that problem.

Here, where resident tags are on a draw basis, true primitive weapons seasons give us more hunting options within the herd limitations.

In essence, Pappy, I think we're both right.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by srwshooter
remington ultimate muzzleloader

yeah, load from the muzzle and kaboom from the breech

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
In 1984 Lou Camelli (sic) built four hunting aquaintences of mine rifles based on the Ruger #3, 45/70. He reworked the breech to utilize Win 209's. They used regular cast, pre-lubed, 45/70, .405 grain bullets. If I remember correctly I think they were using IMR 3031 powder. And all was muzzleloaderd. Rod and rifle were carried in conventional saddle scabbards. Remember this was 1984.

We were hunting west of Silver City way up close to Pleasanton I believe. After a day or two of hard horseback hunting two of the boys wanted to shot their rifles. They removed em from scabbards and popped primer only. Then they upended their scabbards and dumped bullet and powder onto ground.

Nuthin' really New under the sun.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The ability to shoot a longer ways, which is always bitched about in threads like these, has been around a LONG time...

Remember, its the Indian, not the arrow.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My local gun dealer said a guy came in once with an destroyed muzzleloader and told him he was gonna sue the muzzleloader company cause it exploded. Dealer told me he immediately was thinking guy put too much powder in it. Said the guy had some pictures of when it happened and he started looking at them and there was a can of BULLSEYE on the table. He asked the dude if that is what he was using in the muzzleloader and the guy told him thats what his buddy told him to use and he had been using it FOR A COUPLE YEARS!!!!!!!!! Dealer told him that he should be sending that company a f-ing thank u letter for holding up to that for so long not suing them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
This crapp of pushing muzzle loaders to be regular HP rifles needs to go away.

ML seasons should be for more primitive weapons.

Over-engineered bows, modern scoped muzzle loaders, and 1,000 yard sniper rifles are taking a lot of the sport of HUNTING out of hunting, IMO.

I'll bet this shooter hadn't seated the bullet all the way down onto the powder. Surprise...Surprise... eek
Idaho's like that. Inlines and shotgun primers are forbidden during ML seasons. When cocked, the primer must be exposed and it's limited to flints or percussion caps. No jacketed bullets or pelletized powder, open or peep sights only.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by KFWA

don't see the ramrod in the video...not sure that would cause that blow up though

But now it's a work of art.

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Over-engineered bows, modern scoped muzzle loaders, and 1,000 yard sniper rifles are taking a lot of the sport of HUNTING out of hunting, IMO.

I'll bet this shooter hadn't seated the bullet all the way down onto the powder. Surprise...Surprise... eek
Idaho's like that. Inlines and shotgun primers are forbidden during ML seasons. When cocked, the primer must be exposed and it's limited to flints or percussion caps. No jacketed bullets or pelletized powder, open or peep sights only.

In Virginia[at least my neck of it], early muzzleloader coincides with the best of pre-rut for whitetails. More hunters then than 'gun' season anymore.
FYI-that means an extra $25 per hunter to VA DGIF

FJB & FJT
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look like a possible not seating the bullet all the way down problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I own and hunt with both sidelock and inline MLs, but in VA, the focus of my hunting now, the ML season comes before the firearms season and has become the Rifle season in effect for a lot of hunters. The rut tends to start around that time, so it's your best chance of catching a nice buck befuddled with lust. By the time Rifle season rolls around, things are beginning to settle down and catching a buck out and about on small plots of private land gets tough. A lot of areas are also Earn-a-Buck zones that require you to shoot a doe before you can take a second antlered deer. That reg caught me last year, when a very nice one showed after I had killed a buck with a freak rack caused by a crossbow wound from the previous season, but hadn't taken a baldy as yet. The biggest deer I saw all season strutted around in front of me for about a half hour, and I couldn't shoot. The point of all this is that the F&W folks have a good handle on how to manage the resource, and hunters are free to hunt as they please, not according to the elitist notions of others, especially the ones not even in the game, so to speak. Can't speak to the connection some may make between their rifles and their "gun", as I don't suffer from that malady, and the ballistic capabilities of both my ML rifles are very similar, despite their appearance, limiting them to 100-150 yards.

This business is reminiscent of the stick bow/compound/crossbow hoopla, which mostly was about people feeling entitled about "their" seasons and special hunting areas more than anything else, dressed up to look like concern for tradition and the welfare of the game; in ofher words greed. Won't put that on you (especially after confusing you with Safariman😱) but have seen a good bit of it from others, here and elswhere.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 19352012
You haven't lived until you've shot a ramrod out of a muzzleloader. Nothing like shooting a 4 ounce bullet to wake a feller up.

Don't know about that but.

Try shooting a patched double .760 balls out of a 10 ga. Blunderbuss with a .788 bore. and 80 grs. of FF

Way back when i weighed 120 lbs. it would slide me back a full step.

I am to fat now but it can still get your attention

Nothing but fun

Last edited by funshooter; 09/20/17.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It is not a muzzleloader.

If it was, even short seating a bullet would not make it blow like that - not with real black powder and probably not with anything else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

If it was, even short seating a bullet would not make it blow like that - not with real black powder and probably not with anything else.

Uh, ya it was.

Remington Ultimate

Almost a guaranteed double load. Props to those Dual Dovetails!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The shooter might live in a state where the law doesn't allow anything better than a shotgun for modern arms.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been shooting the Ultimate Muzzleloader for many years now. As a previous post pointed out: not much smoke. When you touch off four 50gr Pyrodex pellets the cloud of smoke is immense. My suspicion is that smokeless powder is involved here.

This is a sad event for a member of our community and should be a reminder to all of us that care must be taken when enjoying our sport.

405wcf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks to me a combination of things....First: Something is hanging off the front muzzle? Is it a muzzle brake or false muzzle? A boresighter? I've seen CF rifles banana peel like that with a boresighter stuck in the muzzle.

Secondly, BP probably wouldn't have split the barrel...perhaps bulge it, but wouldn't have a catastrophic failure like that. That had to be smokeless powder.

Don

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by GTC22

Uh, ya it was.

Remington Ultimate

Ah no, it wasn't. It was a centerfire rifle with a muzzle break and no thimbles for a ramrod. and it was an obstructed barrel that caused the rupture like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GTC22

Uh, ya it was.

Remington Ultimate

Ah no, it wasn't. It was a centerfire rifle with a muzzle break and no thimbles for a ramrod. and it was an obstructed barrel that caused the rupture like that.

It is a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader..........simple

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.