Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan

When hiking with a headlamp, hold it low in your hand and you will stumble less than if you wear it on your head. The low angle shows bumps and roots by their shadow that you do not see if the source of the light is near your eyes.

This is why I don't carry a headlight. I use a flashlight instead. Holding a flashlight low to the ground makes it harder for game to see and easier to pick up the height of what's in front of you. I use white light. It reflects off my hunter orange and makes it easy to see what I am for a hunter. Under normal conditions, I hike to and from the stand with a 2 AA flashlight hooked between my fingers of whatever hand is on my rifle sling. Lately, I've been using a flashlight with a built-in 'biner that hooks to my possibles bag, my belt or my suspenders.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With my hunting spot in CO I try not to use any lights at all unless I need to, but it is also about 10 minutes from where I park to where I start to hunt (I like to go after the game other people overlook and walk right past). Then I just stand at the edge of where I want to begin, and listen, while waiting for hunting light. Normally enough light out that I can generally see what I need on the way in, dark adaptation takes 30-45 minutes at first, then if you do turn on a light, can take anywhere from 5-45 minutes to get it back depending on intensity and duration. If I do use a light, I prefer red.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Climber3256: I use an adjustable white light head lamp and use the lowest setting for travel in the dark.
I have walked right up on both Moose, Deer and Elk at times (by right up I mean 40 - 50 yards) when they could easily have moved off prior to my getting that close?
I suggest you get a light with adjustable beam brightness - which ever color you choose.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I lived in snake country there would be no sneaking in and out, light or not, just a steady trail of gunfire to and from the truck.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used both headlamps and flashlights and prefer the flashlight. I can keep it on the trail instead of flickering all over the woods as I'm moving my head around.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm with Steelhead. Old Ephraim hangs out in a lot of the places I hunt, and if I bump into HIM and things get serious, I want to be able to SEE his ass and hope my bright white lite blinds him;)

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've used both headlamps and flashlights and prefer the flashlight. I can keep it on the trail instead of flickering all over the woods as I'm moving my head around.

I like having both and mainly use the flashlight for the reasons you mention. It is nice to have a small clip light on the bill of my cap if needed for places where I use both hands and especially if gutting one after dark.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Flashlights do have some advantages but I don't carry one because I prefer a headlamp and try to carry as little as possible. I like hands-free. Taking apart an elk or deer after dark with a flashlight in your teeth sucks.

As does climbing a steep hill in brush, etc.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Flashlights do have some advantages but I don't carry one because I prefer a headlamp and try to carry as little as possible. I like hands-free. Taking apart an elk or deer after dark with a flashlight in your teeth sucks.

My thoughts as well....flashlights are for the house and truck

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
With my hunting spot in CO I try not to use any lights at all unless I need to, but it is also about 10 minutes from where I park to where I start to hunt (I like to go after the game other people overlook and walk right past).

Sounds similar to me. If there is any moon, I usually can start walking in about a half hour before legal shooting time. If there is a full moon, I could walk in anytime. I can't remember the last time I turned on a light walking in, once I am off a road. No snakes or grizzlies in my area.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Alamosa
What color for a nuisance skunk that I have been trying to kill at night?
(sorry for the minor hijack).

I quit hiking at night without a bright white light when a few years ago, I was going back to my truck in the dark, something ahead of me just didn't look right. Turned out it was a big skunk, headed my way.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

BTDT and it sucks. Plus you slobber all over the flashlight. Pass on the flashlight for in woods applications.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put clips on all my flashlights so they can attach to a hat brim.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I put clips on all my flashlights so they can attach to a hat brim.....

Yeah but they're always attached to your rifles during deer season, what's up with that?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have whitetails here so almost no hunting is done from stands other than bears over bait. Our hiking in the dark is mostly on trails to get back from the road a ways or coming out at the end of the day. The exceptions, of course, are when we get something down late in the day. For this kind of hiking in the dark, we very seldom need both hands free.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the first and last days of deer season on public land around here, a strobe light, cowbell, and knee cymbals are about right.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
More cowbell!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.