Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by curdog4570
. . . But, thinking about cutting rib bones on large catfish swayed me to the serrated one. . .

I would get the smooth blade, Gene, as i have converted to not cutting through rib bones, as now i cut down to them and then cut down toward the belly just outside them, filleting meat off them.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Got my dad one for fathers day. Havent done a ton of fish with it but it has worked nicely on 4-5 20ish lb salmon. Still shap as when it came out of the package. He has the smooth blade version.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would go with the non serrated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a 8" Dexter or Forschner Breaking knife for my filet jobs
On fish with heavy rib bones,I cut over the top of the bones and not through them.I use a pair of game shears to cut off the ribs and the breast,those are some tasty parts I really enjoy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I fillet a lot of fish and use the Dexter Russell knives along with a DR steel. On larger fish I fillet around the ribs and never even open the belly.

This^^^, and you can get a $25 Academy Dexter Russell for half that on ebay.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I use a 8" Dexter or Forschner Breaking knife for my filet jobs
On fish with heavy rib bones,I cut over the top of the bones and not through them.I use a pair of game shears to cut off the ribs and the breast,those are some tasty parts I really enjoy.

Those fried redfish throats or breasts i ate once are great. I wish i knew how to cut/clean them.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is the way I do them.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks. Do you skin or scale them before frying? I saw them being cut from some big fish once on a utube but i couldnt remember what they were called. As i was typing this i finally remembered- fish collars. I think the

. My old departed buddy collected them from redfish and they were great but we never fished for reds together and i didnt learn how to prepare them.

Do you do it like this?

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/20/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Sorry Gene. Didnt mean to highjack your thread.

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got the 9" version with a smooth blade back in the spring. It was a great spring and early summer. I've used it on most of our inshore stuff from 15" speckled trout to 39" redfish. Works great for me. The charter boats and deckhands buy 'em by the case.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They look good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Thanks. Do you skin or scale them before frying? I saw them being cut from some big fish once on a utube but i couldnt remember what they were called. As i was typing this i finally remembered- fish collars. I think the

. My old departed buddy collected them from redfish and they were great but we never fished for reds together and i didnt learn how to prepare them.

Do you do it like this?

I use a pair of pliers to pull the skin off then use game shears to cut between the fins.More meat than bones on this part.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a fan of chinese stuff, but a smooth bladed Bubba knife has proved to be a good working tool around salt water over the last 2 or 3 years. Bright handle has kept it from getting lost. In my opinion, a decent value for the price.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a picture with my 8" Dexter Breaking knife.It has been my favorite blade for many years.

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Dexter Russell is the most prevalent of the standard filet knives. Up in Alaska you normally see Victorinox at the charter docks.

In my area, it's all Dexter Russell for filleting fishing. Victorinox are bait knives.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one is made in the USA

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (308ld, 808outdoors, 35, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 4 invisible), 1,136 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.