Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Ribka, got the first birds, but we finally got into some sage grouse.. These were shot with my model 31 12 ga. and Federal 3 3/4- 1 1/4 - 6.. A friend gave me the ammo, so I used it.. Looking forward to your photos!!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Keep it going fellas, really bummed Im going to miss the grouse and pheasant openers in Pa.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
nice Sir!! and handsome dogs!

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
outstanding!

How are sage grouse pops looking in your area?

Your dogs look dialed in

the federal number 6 1 1/4 oz great early season load

shooting modified?

how long were shots?

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
JD thanks, they are loved.. ribka, here they seem ok in spots.. The ones pictured I shot near Big Piney.. They seemed in fair numbers there also.. Both are really good hunters, Maggie the little one, may be the best one I have ever had.. But lately she has taken to chasing the birds after the shot.. Kate the older and bigger one, muscles the retrieve from Maggie.. I have to work on that..
The model 31 is an old 30" full choke.. Too much for birds mostly, but I really like the gun.. Have a 97 and model 12 with the same barrel and choke.. Thought of opening one up, but hate to do it..
My usual bird gun is my old 870...I have had it since the mid 70's.. I usually shoot a modified out of it...

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
For got to mention the shots are not real long usually..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Awesome!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm gonna chase them birds soon,,,,not this year but likely 2018,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice start and hope it continues thruout the season. Please give Maggie and Kate an ear rub.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks battue, you do the same for yours.. Best of luck..

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nicely done!! I hope to get Hank somewhere, someday to try for some sage grouse. They are a favorite of mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey are the guy that camped the Highline a few days ago?

I am the guy with the GPS's.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good job Wyo CH, lotta guys back in the day hacked and whacked about those pee poor Fed D & P loads. I've found they are the answer when a guy is retro shooting an older gun with a fixed full choke for the first shot anyway. Just picked up a couple of boxes of those same loads at a gun show for $5 a box. Great pics and congrats on a good hunt. West Nile virus a few years a go took out the majority of sage grouse we had left in SD. Enjoy them while you can. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks everyone for the kind words.. We were back at work again today. Only one grouse, 8 doves, one coyote & one badger.. Got the last two with my old .270.. Got some of the doves with my model 97.. Fun gun, but a full choke and it is tight.. My ammo for the grouse was the Fed. 6's, but on the dove I used RST 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 - 7 1/2.. The old pigeon load.. They were even marked as such.. Wish I had a few more.. Bought a bunch of RST years ago.. Good stuff, these loads are paper!!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I should have mentioned Maggie is contemplating the evening hunt.. A sweet heart..

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff WCH!

That appears to be a very sweet dog.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
She is a sweet , sweet golden.. Thanks..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good job WCH!

Took the pup out a week ago for blues. We got into plenty of birds and left a few young ones for later. Got our 3. Pic is the last on of the day, got it coming down the mountain. Pup worked hard as usual and is getting better at holding her points. Only downer is she tore her feet up pretty badly, hence the duct tape on her feet. Looking forward to getting out for more!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ryoushi; 09/27/17.
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent.. Very pretty pup..Hope she heals fast and soon..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's hunting ! Nothings like grouse, dogs & shotguns!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Good job WCH!

Took the pup out a week ago for blues. We got into plenty of birds and left a few young ones for later. Got our 3. Pic is the last on of the day, got it coming down the mountain. Pup worked hard as usual and is getting better at holding her points. Only downer is she tore her feet up pretty badly, hence the duct tape on her feet. Looking forward to getting out for more!

[Linked Image]
Nicely done!! She could double has Hank's sister! Great looking dog.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good job WCH!

[Linked Image]

nice and great looking dog

do you run her with an e collar?

how did she tear up feet running in forest and logging roads? Curious

Grouse pops seem to be good in the west

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ribka
Good job WCH!

[Linked Image]

nice and great looking dog

do you run her with an e collar?

how did she tear up feet running in forest and logging roads? Curious

Grouse pops seem to be good in the west

Thanks for the comments!

No e collar, I'm too much of a softy. We did most of our hunting at the edge of alpine and there is a lot of rock up there. I was surprised her feet were so beat up, we had hiked the full loop of this trail several times over the summer with out any issues. She's in heat now so plenty of time to heal up.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Sage grouse season is winding down.. Tomorrow is the last day.. No birds tonight, rain ruined the evening hunt.. Yesterday we found two coveys and scored in each one.. IF This could last forever!!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Sage grouse season is winding down.. Tomorrow is the last day.. No birds tonight, rain ruined the evening hunt.. Yesterday we found two coveys and scored in each one.. IF This could last forever!!

[Linked Image]

Those are some happy dogs! Nice work WCH!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WCH- Nicely done!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Owen and I connected with sagehen this weekend and had a good shoot. Rosie wore her pads down and had to call it a day; it was good we limited out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent.. A great time.. Good dog, good guns and family, you have it all ... Enjoy!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Nice

Btw Rosie is a silly name for a Griff
wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice

wink

She's a silly griff. crazy

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Nice

wink

She's a silly griff. crazy

my rosie is too but she is all business when i take out my gun

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
We made short hunt last week and managed two blue grouse.. First for my model 12 12ga. solid rib... 1 1/8 oz of 6's.. Maggie is checking them out again for about the 10th time...

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Posted this in the workout thread, but some may find it worthy of the Upland forum:

Been away on a Grouse hunting trip to Michigan. Miss timed the weather and it was hot and to push all day would have crashed the Dogs and us, so the hunting consisted of 3hours early AM and 2 hours before dark. A Good many Birds flushed, but mainly Woodcock which we didn't shoot at except occasionally to reward the Dog for good work. Other than that little shooting.

It was like still hunting, but with little resemblance to Tai Chi. In the middle of the day at best it would have been sauna Tai Chi.

However, all in all, it was an eventful trip. Didn't leave with the expectation of meeting a couple hot nurses that wanted to mess around with my head.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/19/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope you didn't hurt that SxS when you fell. BTW-- Chicks dig scars.

got to love photos of dogs & birds---keep them coming.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A look at the covers:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lunch on the tailgate:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/19/17.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
OUCH!!!! WOW!!

So Glad ya' made it back alive from Da' UP, Battue !! Just back from three days on the Central UP ourselves. One hunter plus one FBECS; both Seasoned Citizens. Hunted grousey areas of Dickensen, Iron and Marquette counties. HOT, too hot for the 3rd week of Oct; no killing frosts yet either. Hardly any leaf fall and very muted colors too. Leaf peepers were NOT happy! smile

Hunted mornings only and managed a couple of grouse. Flush rates dismal, only sightly better than one flush per hour. Grouse population appears to be way down from the peaks of around the years 2000 and 2010. Drove many miles through good grouse country and saw only ONE (1) road bird in three days; and that's a tell in my world. frown Hard to remember a worse year for grouse hunting. The only Good News is that we were not skunked!!

(I will read the WO thread to see what the heck happened!!)

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nat,

We roamed some of the same counties and like you because of the heat we hunted mornings and the last couple hours of daylight. Between times we drove around looking for spots. For 5 days, a good average would have been 10 Grouse flushes per day and 15 Woodcock. The Grouse were mainly singles with few exceptions and most were found around some good pine tree roosting trees. I only shot at three and it was a very late hatch Bird. I mean it was tiny and hardly had any head feathering. Melot had to run it down after it hit the ground and he took out the tailfeathers. It would have been interesting to have seen how short they were. The locals said it was a horrible extended wet spring. BTW, ran into some very nice individuals.

Had four Dogs, Merlot the Cocker, two Setters and a Pointer. While not a numbers hunt, the Dogs got into enough Birds to further their education. Merlot started going to his Birds more head up when the scent was hot. The last Bird of the trip he picked up the scent at around 20yards on the edge of a cedar trickle run. His head snapped around and he took the Bird out on a run. That was the Bird I wish I could have killed. Merlot was on the ground for the better part of each days hunt and by the end of day 5 he crashed. The little guy has some stamina and the heat obviously didn't do him any favors.

As far as road Birds, we did bump into perhaps 6 driving in and out for the evening hunts.

Last edited by battue; 10/20/17.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by battue

However, all in all, it was an eventful trip. Didn't leave with the expectation of meeting a couple hot nurses that wanted to mess around with my head.

Pics or they were ugly as home-made sin. grin

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"Smokin' Hot"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The girls all look prettier at closing time!

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Brazilian super model smokin' hot. 😳
Well almost....but most definitely make Mickey Gilley forget how to play the piano hot.

""Play something country hot"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sounds like it was worth acquiring the scar! Sorry your hunt wasn't up to par; but it's still bird hunting, so it was still good. I hunted with my oldest son in northern WI in 2015, my first and so far only grouse hunting. Weather was perfect, but I was told they were just coming out of the low end of the cycle. We still found a few birds, don't recall the total number of flushes, but 3 of us got 5 grouse and a woodcock in 2 days' hunting. My career average so far is .500 (1 for 2). Unfortunately, said son moved to Georgia less than a year later, so that trip has been it for me. cry

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Battue,

Your Merlot looks tired in that pic! Glad he got in some good work up there, despite summer-like conditions. And gosh what a tiny grouse. Wonder how old??

We hunted lots of covers that looked a lot like that. Its some hard, hot work in there for the dogs, when there is an understory of brambles too. We mostly made the trip bc/ we lost our Rocky to a malignant splenic tumor this summer. Despite moving heaven and earth in a vain attempt to defeat a malignant hemangiosarcoma. A horrible cancer which rarely shows any outward signs at all, until its too late to save them. mad

So we were down to just one dog, our Scout (also FBECS) is now 12 1/2 yo and good for 3-4 hours of work on a nice cool morning. We have made an effort to keep him and me, in decent shape for bird hunting this summer. But he just a tremendous amount of prey drive and was always ready to go. And we just never know when it will be time to retire him to the sofa. But that kind of hunting is hard for any one dog for three days in a row. He just slept practically all the way home. Usually I alternate days hunting him down here.

Mrs Bumpo was along for the trip so after a field lunch we went back to the hotel for a swim and a jacuzzi soak and then a nice nap! And then out for a nice dinner. So no evening hunts for us, which is always a good time to go back.

Looking forward to better bird numbers and more typical late October weather conditions next year.!!

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nat,

Sorry about your Dog and I understand. I had to put Toby, the black Cocker, down this summer. His back had been bothering him, and then one day he was limping. The next more and by the third, his back legs were completely paralyzed. I trust the Vet and he said do it now. First time in 11years he didn't hunt with me.

That Bird was taken on a quick hot afternoon and Merlot was running low on his sugar. It was not long out of the egg. The breasts are no more than perhaps two inches long and may not make that.

Wishing you the best the rest of the season.

There Ya Go,

She really was a cute girl and with a great personality. On the mend, but she had potential.

The hunt was just fine. Not a lot of shooting, but the Dogs had more than a few solid contacts. A young Setter had some solid Woodcock points and Merlot had more than a few nosefuls that had him wired.

Last edited by battue; 10/20/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I won't get a chance at upland for a few weeks yet.

I did get my 15 month old pup out on her very first hunt - the opening weekend for waterfowl.

Had a cripple come back to life that gave us some excitement.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

5 year old gets a retrieve while the pup follows along.

[Linked Image]

Dogs and decoys.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to be a good year for grouse here. Lots of flushes but the birds are wild and flush at first contact. None will allow the dog to point and almost all will flush without being seen. The dog has got locked on a few woodcock which is nice to see. The dog does work well finding downed birds but those are hard to get. Maybe the birds will slow down when it gets colder. Still quite warm here. No frost yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alamosa

I did get my 15 month old pup out on her very first hunt - the opening weekend for waterfowl.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dogs and decoys.

[Linked Image]

Rumor is you guys got skunked recently. eek

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Alamosa

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dogs and decoys.

[Linked Image]

Rumor is you guys got skunked recently. eek

Double skunked! I had some unhappy campers after that.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
This fall's Wyoming gobbler!!!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Maine Northwoods.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Very nice photos of a good dog.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
2 Bud's and I hit the Pa game lands for the second time for Pheasants. Many of the Birds are surprisingly strong flyers with wild flushes traving over 500yards. Dogs are doing better than fair at finding. Last Friday 28 Birds were put up and 5 taken home. Today 16 and 6 rode home with us.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/30/17.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is good to hear. I'm going to get Dot on them up in Warren County in a couple weeks.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful photos and dogs... Wonderful.. What shotgun battue??? Our pheasant season opens Sat.. We will miss the opener, but hunt a week or ten days after...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks,

The first day I used my Fathers Parker VHE 16Ga and today the Ithaca 37 28ga. One friend used a Beretta Ultralight O/U 12Ga and the other an SKB sxs 20Ga.

Best of luck to both of you....

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Fine guns.. I will be using my old 870 12.. Tried the 28 one year, but with open country and flushing dogs, not good..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Seems to be a good year for grouse here. Lots of flushes but the birds are wild and flush at first contact. None will allow the dog to point and almost all will flush without being seen. The dog has got locked on a few woodcock which is nice to see. The dog does work well finding downed birds but those are hard to get. Maybe the birds will slow down when it gets colder. Still quite warm here. No frost yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bell on the dog, double gun, brace of grouse...It doesn't get more Classic. cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 Bud's and I hit the Pa game lands for the second time for Pheasants. Many of the Birds are surprisingly strong flyers with wild flushes traving over 500yards. Dogs are doing better than fair at finding. Last Friday 28 Birds were put up and 5 taken home. Today 16 and 6 rode home with us.

[Linked Image]

I don't think the dogs were ready to call it a day. whistle

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Merlot should have been. That is some nasty thorny country, and on getting some of them out during the evening at home he had a couple lower hanging delicate parts glowing red.

I appreciate what he does. Hope it appreciates the Bag Balm. grin

These expressions possibly more accurately display how they feel.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/31/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL...I've seen those looks many times. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pics and beautiful covers.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I went to Pennsylvania to hunt the first four days of their pheasant season. My GSP just turned 2 in October and my lab was 2 in April. I was thrilled with how hard they hunted, retrieved, and worked together. We managed to get both of our birds all four days and flushed plenty more while scouting and walking.

The new picture system has me confused. I'm not sure how to post pictures directly into my post anymore, but here is a link to some pictures that I have in the 24HCF picture forum.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12369032/pheasant-hunts

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bell on the dog, double gun, brace of grouse...It doesn't get more Classic. cool

I'm getting to enjoy bird hunting more than deer hunting these days. Lots of birds this year, but they're some wild. Most are flushing out of sight out of range.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image]

One of the better days from last Month, in North Central Montana. Picked up another grouse after this pic for my limit bird. 10 birds for 2 guns was a pretty good day this year for us our there.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice! The pups look tired!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Merlot had a good day with putting up 14. Between Grouse the other day and Pheasants today he is getting a little worn around the edges.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/09/17.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sweet pic Harry.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks and someone is sawing logs right now. I'll give him your approval when they wake up. grin

Last edited by battue; 11/09/17.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice Job... Love to see those pictures!!! We finally got into the roosters.. Poor season so far.. Have photos when the wife gets them on the computer.. Enjoy and keep shooting..

Molon Labe
K
kcl Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Harry, Nice pic of the boy! Give him a ear rub from me!!

Go hard or go Home!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Haven't been able to chase birds much but managed to get after them a little the past couple weekends.

Things have really picked up since the cold rolled in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yesterday was good. 10 miles. 8 grouse. Two huns (I made an incredible double) and four COCK.

If we had my dog we'd have limited out on the COCK. Oh well.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A bountiful day indeed!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey, Sam.

That other guy's shotgun only holds two shells. What a POS!

Hope all is well out your way.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Merlot had a good day with putting up 14.

I guess that's easier to yell than "Cabernet Sauvignon" when you're really pissed off.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Get the f over here Pinot Grigio!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Got the grandsons out a couple times...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Merlot had a good day with putting up 14.

I guess that's easier to yell than "Cabernet Sauvignon" when you're really pissed off.

Travis

Na, then it's "Mad Dog".

Last edited by battue; 11/12/17.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kcl
Harry, Nice pic of the boy! Give him a ear rub from me!!

How do I say "Good boy Merlot" in Chinese? Give me the pidgin version, because this doesn't work. 好的男孩酒红色

Welcome home and let's hit Dan's place sometime soon.

Last edited by battue; 11/12/17.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Shrap, nice !!! Good to see kids in the field.. My grandfather started me hunting, but about 60 years a go.. Good on you!!

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Maggie checking our first limit of roosters!!!! 870 and Fed. 3 1/4- 1 1/4- 6's.. A happy dog, and she and Kate made her dad happy also..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good shooting and Wild Roosters are sooo cool!!!! Congrats to all.

Last edited by battue; 11/13/17.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
WCH,

That 870 looks like it has some miles my friend.

Travis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
35degrees, wet and windy so it tended on the chilly side. After 4 hours Merlot was out of gas from busting brush and starting to shiver. So the posing pic was done quickly.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Someone is working on their attitude:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/16/17.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, yes it has lots of miles... Had it since the mid 70's.. It has been all over the U.S. and Alaska.. Also South Africa.. My favorite..

battue, tough hunting there.. See the 16 ga. made it afield again..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of pics from my recent trip to Iowa
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

[Linked Image]DSCN2300 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
^^ Pudelpointer? ^^ Thems nice dogs.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, pudelpointer. First one of the breed and first gundog ever. So far, I'm quite the fan. Now, if I could just do him justice by the training and putting birds in front of him.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Yep, pudelpointer. First one of the breed and first gundog ever. So far, I'm quite the fan. Now, if I could just do him justice by the training and putting birds in front of him.

Mine's a smoothcoat. I grew up with several breeds, but now I don't think I would buy another breed after this one.Very biddable, but he listens to me the best by far. Esp. like the non-shedding aspect.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Got the grandsons out a couple times...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Things like this is what kept me hunting. Nothing is better...nothing.

Great post

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They have a lot of energy, and they like anything that resembles fun. It was a hard choice for me when I got my griffon, Rosie. I almost got a pudelpointer. I still might when there is an opening here. Rocky & Cookie are 15 now, but I'm in NO hurry.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

They have a lot of energy, and they like anything that resembles fun. It was a hard choice for me when I got my griffon, Rosie. I almost got a pudelpointer. I still might when there is an opening here. Rocky & Cookie are 15 now, but I'm in NO hurry.

[Linked Image]

That's a dmn fine photo right there!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Love my PP. This was last winter, her first duck hunt.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome photos.. Thanks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Love my PP. This was last winter, her first duck hunt.

I LOVE fuzzy faces and rubber noses! laugh

cool cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A male pintail is on my bucket list. Birds, Dogs And Kids-----Doesn't get any better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mine's a smoothcoat. I grew up with several breeds, but now I don't think I would buy another breed after this one.Very biddable, but he listens to me the best by far. Esp. like the non-shedding aspect.

[Linked Image]
Dandy looking dog!! Mine too listens to me better than anyone else in the house. My next one will likely be a PP as well. Nothing I really don't like about the breed thus far.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Daughters turn to go to in-laws for Thanksgiving, so rather than be the odd duck at another family Thanksgiving, Merlot and I went Grouse hunting and combined it with some Deer observation for come Monday. In 3.5hours put up 4 Birds and said one coming home is enough.

Merlot took it out of the tangle behind him and it came out a low left to right. Flopping, so as usual with Merlot the rudder is gone.
[Linked Image][/url]

Crossing this field on the way back to the truck and I let Merlot run without paying attention. Until that is, I hear wings beating under an Alder bush out in the field. He takes the Bird out and it flies out in the open for 100yards plus a little.

[Linked Image]

Perfect weather to hunt Grouse. Saw Deer in the high teens. Two Bucks and one would be good enough to take the safety off.

Good day!!!!

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds great B.. No hunting today.. Good luck on Monday.. Kind of wish I was there, but will be out for ringnecks if all goes well.. 16 ga.????

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, 16. Good luck with the Pheasants. Once the Pa opener gets ahold of you, it doesn't let go all that easy.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not much of a hunt, but got back from a buddies house this afternoon to pick up some pheasants for dog training tomorrow. Walk around the garage and gear leaves rustling, look up and it's a covey of Bobwhites. Change direction, grab a shotgun and out to dog pen for my 7 month old shorthair.

A point on the covey and then a point in two singles. Solid. Who needs tame pheasants anyway. Of course the shots presented were through the brambles and no quail were harmed in this endeavor.

This was his second encounter with birds, wild at that. Previous being opening weekend in Kansas. Can't wait to put some miles behind this guy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!!!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Clark and I headed for a high, steep ridge today. We climbed for a good hour, gaining over 1,000' from where I'd parked the Jeep. Up top, among the mountain mulies, we got into chukar!

What a great dog! Without him, it would have been just a hike. As it was, we came home with two nice chukar for tonight's dinner. Also saw a golden eagle, at least a dozen mule deer, and more than a dozen bighorn sheep. It was a good day.

The 12 ga Beretta isn't pretty, but it's the shotgun I shoot best:
[Linked Image]

Clark worked hard and had a blast today:
[Linked Image]

You're pointing birds where? Good grief!
[Linked Image]

If you've never hunted wild chukar - they thrive on high, steep terrain. We climbed well over a thousand feet from where I'd parked the Jeep. Could have shot more, but somehow two seemed like enough. No other boot tracks seen. No spent shell casings. Just a crazy steep ridge that required me to use one hand as well as both legs to climb, some wildlife, and more than a few chukar. What a great day!

Guy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When the dog goes on point low I always shake my head and hustle down hill. He’s not often wrong.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Ya, I've learned to trust the dog. Once in a while I'm sure he's pointing where a bird used to be... But mostly he's ON. And oh gosh, I do appreciate that!

Guy

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome!!!!! Truly!! At my age not in the cards.. Enjoy!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Awesome!!!!! Truly!! At my age not in the cards.. Enjoy!!

I'm only 61, and workout an average of 5 days a week so I can still do this. Today though... We climbed, my dog and I, 1400 feet from where I parked the Jeep before he began acting birdy. We climbed past the mule deer who eyed us suspiciously. We scared a golden eagle from his perch on a big snag about 3/4 the way to the top. Ugh.

I asked my dog if he could maybe find some birds at least a little lower down next time?

So, next Thursday, we're going to the pheasant club! Big, fat, pen-raised yummy, beautiful pheasants released in a much flatter area. The dog will appreciate. My son will accompany me and will appreciate. After today? I'll appreciate! smile

Upland game - it can be an awful lot of fun.

Guy

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I love deer and antelope hunting, but birds are right up there too. Especially with my dogs.. It may edge big game..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Two of us went out yesterday afternoon at 3. We were hunting at 4, and had two roosters by 5. Not bad for a couple of guys in tennis shoes. It was in the 60's here yesterday, too nice to stay home. Dogs loved it and so did we. I dressed the birds and gave them to my 93 year old neighbor lady, she loved the visit. It was an all around success.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Two more ruffs this morning. Not a bad day. Only saw three total.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

[Linked Image]

There's a dog that's clearly proud of his point in' and your shoot in' !

Last edited by basdjs; 11/30/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]
Great pic of a not ugly, "ugly" dog!

I envy you guys with quick/easy access to wild birds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GuyM, you are so right about chukar. Damn hard bird to hunt, but, FUN! And tiring. At 67, I'm not giving up on them. I just take my time. Going again tomorrow. Therapy.

Last edited by rifletom; 12/01/17.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Last monday I took Kai out for a "short" pheasant hunt, got into a friggin' porcupine instead. Had to carry her out as there were quills in the bottom of her foot and clear up to her arm pit. I pulled a bunch but took her to the vet where they did a couple cutdowns to remove some that were buried in the muscle and under the skin as well as remove the rest I couldn't get. Even they missed a few, there's some still working their way out. Looks like we're done for a few weeks. Good times...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Last nice weather day before nasty winter hits next week. 3 shots, 3 birds. Somebody's a little tired and hot even. "Sprite" finds them before they're shot and after they're shot. She lets me do the killing and actual pick up.

English Cocker Spaniel
Ithaca 37, 12 gauge ImpCyl
Fiochi Golden Pheasant #5, 1 3/8 ounce, 1250 velocity (the slow one)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DakotaDeer; 12/02/17.
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Sorry about the porky..

Dakota, nice bag.. I may have to try that load in my 870.. Hope to get out tomorrow for one last hunt!!!!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It is a very good load, in #4 also. It puts a lot of shot in the air, and the lower velocity keeps more of it round for a good pattern.

Winchester and Federal have the same loading. I think the Federal is the best of the three actually, but usually the most expensive.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
And two more before church this morning. Public land that was hit hard yesterday by out-of-staters, and they drove by this morning and told me not to bother. Oh well....

Sprite had to really work for these two, as she had to roust them out of the thick cover, and they both dropped into heavy cover so she had to go find them. The second one actually flew injured about 75 yards away before he dropped out of the sky. She's pretty well on to hunting "dead" on command wherever I tell her, so we walked over there and she found him buried in the tall grass.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cool pic! I wish we had pheasant here.

Dig that M37. Hard to find with the IC choke. I have one the same in 20ga coming in the mail this week.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, I looked awhile for that ImpCyl in 26". It cost me more than it should have too, but it's a very nice gun for carry and shooting both. I plan to hunt it for a couple of years than give it to my youngest son. It's supposed to be his but he's letting me "borrow" it for now until he gets bigger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Last monday I took Kai out for a "short" pheasant hunt, got into a friggin' porcupine instead. Had to carry her out as there were quills in the bottom of her foot and clear up to her arm pit. I pulled a bunch but took her to the vet where they did a couple cutdowns to remove some that were buried in the muscle and under the skin as well as remove the rest I couldn't get. Even they missed a few, there's some still working their way out. Looks like we're done for a few weeks. Good times...
Dammit! Murphy sucks... Hope the pup heals well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dig that M37. Hard to find with the IC choke. I have one the same in 20ga coming in the mail this week.

My M37 20ga showed up in the mail today. I couldn't be happier with it. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's a beauty. Should be a mid-70s gun with the flat front forend, I think. They are a joy to carry in the coverts.

What will you use it for?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What will you use it for?

Grouse and woodcock. There are no pheasant here. frown

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you get a chance, what's the actual weight on your 20 gauge?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If you get a chance, what's the actual weight on your 20 gauge?

6.25 lbs ........ Yours?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
6.75 in 12 gauge @ 26". The magnum versions are actually over 1/2 pound heavier (actually about 10 ounces more @ 28" barrel). That difference makes all the difference when walking around in heavy cover. The original 2 3/4 inch receivers are the nice ones.

Though, an Ultrafeatherlight 12 gauge goes 6.25 like your 20 gauge.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
6.75lb is a good weight for a 12ga. I wouldn't be interested in a 28" magnum. Too heavy, too long. Are the 12s prefered for pheasant?

I with they would offer 24" bbls in pumps and semi autos. Be about the same length as a 26 or 28" SxS

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Last year, I had a very good year on pheasants with a 20 gauge Ithaca Ultrafeatherlight shooting 1 ounce #6 copper-plated. I only noticed a drawback when I got past 35 yards. So late season, it seemed prudent to switch back to a 12 gauge. The 12 is definitely a better all-around choice. If you have a 3" mag 20, then the Federal Grand Slam load will make it mimic a 12 but with a lot of recoil.

Wild pheasants can be amazingly tough to kill with any sort of peripheral hit, and going-away shots require a lot of penetration. #5 nickel or copper works well, while #4 works even better but then the patterns start to lighten up if not using a tight choke. #4 copper through a really tight choke can make incredible kills at ranges to 75 yards, but chews up birds at normal ranges.

The biggest problem is that any sort of not-immediately-dead pheasant is going to run/crawl into cover and then underneath the grass and cattails, where you can never see them even if you are literally standing on top of them. That's where a good dog that will hunt "dead" is invaluable.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
BTW--Ithaca did make a 24" vent rib barrel for the 37, and the Benelli M2 is commonly available in 24" also.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Big snow dump coming today so went out out early this morn to a spot close to town. More of a dog walk than serious hunt. 4 flushes, no birds in hand. Dog is flopped out now so all good. smile

As much as I like a lightweight pump, there is nothing that comes close to a SxS for upland hunting, at least for grouse anyways.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Big snow dump coming today so went out out early this morn to a spot close to town. More of a dog walk than serious hunt. 4 flushes, no birds in hand. Dog is flopped out now so all good. smile

As much as I like a lightweight pump, there is nothing that comes close to a SxS for upland hunting, at least for grouse anyways.

how is the woodcock populations doing up in NB?

I sure saw a lot of them bear hunting and salmon fishing up there.

Always though about returning for woodcock and grouse. I know you need a guide uo there to bird hunt . Ive done waterfowl solo up in Canada but I think the upland is guide only if not mistaken

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

My M37 20ga showed up in the mail today. I couldn't be happier with it. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

lucky to find in IC!!

I have one in mod. Thought about getting re-choked

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Woodcock was a bit slow where I was this fall in S. NB. I did get a few flushed early this fall but it did peter off as is the norm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The dog needed exercise and my neighbor wanted to try bird hunting so we hit a local preserve on Saturday morning. Not nearly the same as wild birds, but they were strong flyers and had their running shoes on. Hank only really fudged up the first by flinching/creeping too much after the point flushing the bird too early. He tightened up after that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice work Hank!

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Any hunting is better than TV.. Good pic..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
On our last hunt we went for 5 days. Pretty slow, then we hit a bunch.. Limited out this afternoon.. Kate and Maggie had a ball. Great work.. The next day they were completely nuts.. Out of range, but that day we only move one rooster.. so they came out ok.. No punishment tank..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A limit on 3 wild Pheasants is a great day. Give the crew a well done ear rub.

Congrats!!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
On our last hunt we went for 5 days. Pretty slow, then we hit a bunch.. Limited out this afternoon.. Kate and Maggie had a ball. Great work.. The next day they were completely nuts.. Out of range, but that day we only move one rooster.. so they came out ok.. No punishment tank..

[Linked Image]

well done

weather sure has been nice this for bird hunting

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Here is our final bird hunt for roosters this past season.. We finally cornered a few and managed a limit... Kate and Maggie may get into some huns or quail yet, or maybe a pay hunt to keep them in tune.. Fun day, too bad it is so long til next season..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like you have your hands full. 😁

Nice shooting!!!!

Last edited by battue; 12/28/17.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, we had a great day or days there.. Too bad it is so far for us to go.. But still much fun.. You have a good one and that was an awesome buck with Bob's .270.. Kind of miss the Pa. hunts..

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Photobucket test pic Dukxndogs and KK Alaska 2016 with some birds

[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
WeekEnd 19 (Sunday AM)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
WeekEnd 20 (Balmy -4, and Notta)

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.