Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Dwayne, it is good to hear from you!

Are you guys still dry or did relief arrive?

Finally rained here last weekend and REALLY cooled off.

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a foul winter....

AKA chainsaw weather.

Good reminder to start cutting wood.

Perfect time to do it.

The buffalo berry bushes are loaded with berries.

That means the birds left early..........ahead of a bad winter.......

I am gonna start cutting wood, and Idont even heat with wood!

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I got a Stihl MS261CM model works good around the place. But I do not cut fire wood. I just cut down the fallen trees. Maybe 5 or 6 trees a year.

I just picked up the same saw a month or so back to serve as my thinning/limbing/little stuff saw. Dang that thing is impressive. The Stihl 261CM is a lot of saw in a small-lightweight package. I wouldn't be without one now. And if I could only have one saw(Gawd forbid), that might be it.

I loved my ported 026. Go to saw for years. The 261 CM is miles ahead of a stock 026.
And a ported 261 CM.......my new go to saw. Lol

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have 20" commercial Husky's, one here in Texas and the other in north Idaho. Same machines. Zero issues when the blades are dead nutz sharp, which they are...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any good pro saw taken care of will last for years.

Sharp chain is good for the clutch and bearings.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[Linked Image]

The Domlar 5100 and the updated 5105 are kick ass little saws.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
A good saw is worth the bux for sure. When first married I was given a cheap one. Luckily, I didn't need one much for a year or two. Once the need arose to have a real saw I went and bought a 028 Super Wood Boss, that one hurt the wallet at the time. We have heated with wood as primary source for 30 years now. I retired the 028 last year when too many times using ethanol finally caught up[100% my fault]. I bought the Echo CS 590 which I believe is made by Shindawa[looks and sounds like one and is Japanese made]. It's a great saw too IMO.
So I have an old 028[Pro] with a new carb that seems ready for 30+ more years
021[newer] I picked up used for little or nothing back when son became old enough to help
Echo 590Cs just getting broken in.
It's truly a good feeling knowing all 3 are ready to go, especially when your driveway is 3/8's mile through the woods and then another 1/2 mile of private gravel road through the woods again.

Dad had a Stihl 028AV Super Wood Boss. We used it for years on the farm. When I bought my first house, he gave it to me. It's cherished.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I log part time and I have used Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws. Both have their pros and cons and I usually buy based on price point. Latest purchase is a Husky 395XP that has only about 8-9 hours on it. Too busy farming.

[Linked Image]

My favorite for big timber (Midwest) is a McCulloch Super Pro 125C with a 54" bar. Bone yards in area have kept it going for years.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[Linked Image]

The Domlar 5100 and the updated 5105 are kick ass little saws.

I have a 5105 and it is the best saw I have ever used.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have three saws.

A Stihl 250 that I use for fencing, a Stihl 460 with a 28 inch bar and skip chain and a McCulloch 850 with the original 24 inch bar with a skip chain.

........and not a tree in sight. If'n I was ever attacked by trees I would be ready.

make a go cart out of that Mac. they are scary fast with the 650-850's.
at least they were 35-40 years ago.
i have 4 saws here . a 066 stihl for falling, a 029 stihl for cutting fire wood , a poulan for carving saddles for log construction and a craftsman my wife bought on a trip to Commiefornia to see her folks.
the 066 is getting harder to pull every year and harder to carry. must be gaining weight as it gets older. couldn't be i am getting weaker.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by roundoak
I log part time and I have used Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws. Both have their pros and cons and I usually buy based on price point. Latest purchase is a Husky 395XP that has only about 8-9 hours on it. Too busy farming.

[Linked Image]

My favorite for big timber (Midwest) is a McCulloch Super Pro 125C with a 54" bar. Bone yards in area have kept it going for years.

[Linked Image]

When I was logging I mostly used the 394 Husky with a 34" bar. My boss was a Husky dealer so I got a good price on them. The 288 wasn't a bad saw either it was popular as landing saw.
My dad loved his old McCulloh 125, but switched to Husky at some point.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scott the Dolmar was the first GOOD chainsaw my Dad ever owned. Before he got one in the late seventies it was all Homelite's and Monkey Ward's and the like. I'm not sure they were worth the effort to keep them going. The Dolmar ran a long time and cut a lot of wood with a whole lot less maintenance than the previous ones.

I traded it and several other saws for this one a few years back. Then it sat around over a year before I used it. I used it on this project and it crapped out. Literally the first time I used it. The dealer claimed Dolmar wouldn't stand behind it and basically effed me over, but another dealer came to my rescue and got Dolmar to completely rebuild it. The dealer and Dolmar are to be commended. The dealer I bought it from can suck my ass.

I'm not saying that Dolmar is better than Husky or Stihl, but when I last looked they didn't have a "Pro" line and economy lines, etc. When you buy a Dolmar you just buy a good saw. The others are a maze of this quality level vs. that quality level, etc. I like to keep it simple.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been making sawdust for 10 years now with the Husky 455. Always works. I do a little operator maintenance to it - clean the clutch, air/fuel filters, sharpen, flip the bar.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beautiful.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Can't tell how many cord I've taken from forest to woodshed with my Dolmar over the years. The damn thing just runs........

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got Dolmar PS7900W and it's one badass saw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I am not logging I use a Stihl MS271 with a 20" bar and impressed with the easy start, balance and rpm. It is essentially the old 041 Farm Boss, which I wore out several years ago. A great utility saw around the farm and for bucking up wood in the firewood yard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
I've got Dolmar PS7900W and it's one badass saw.

The best deal on a saw going.
The weight and speed of a 70 cc saw
but with an 80 cc powerplant.

If my 372xp died, that saw would replace it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
When I am not logging I use a Stihl MS271 with a 20" bar and impressed with the easy start, balance and rpm. It is essentially the old 041 Farm Boss, which I wore out several years ago. A great utility saw around the farm and for bucking up wood in the firewood yard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kinda 031. Just sayin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had gotten about 10 yrs service out of stihl 029 before the piston/wrist pin failed. Daily to weekly use in demolition, and fall lap cuttings.
Replaced it with a 290 ( same saw)

Have been running a companion ms 250 to the above for over 15 yrs, just a few carb tweaks has all it ever required.

Then for bbq and 'stove wood' i've had an 017 since 1995. Missing most of the choke and throttle linkage - still runs. I did retire it with a new 017 last fall.

And finally last month bought a new, stihl HT-56 ce pole pruner. Works great for carving radial shooting lanes for all my tripod stands in the hardwood.

Won't own any other brand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the stihl.

MS250 here, and loving it.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, akpls, ak_Rick, 17 invisible), 17,116 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,153
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.