Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
First let me state that for me this is free meat.
Along with 4 months of deer hearts I get all the ribs I can carry for not a dime.
I trim them pretty good then parboil in applejuice, sweet white wine and water.
I have a rack or so in the Crock-Pot with a jar of mustard, a jar of BBQ sauce and apple juice.
The rest are roasting covered in foil at 225° dry rubber with seasonings and applejuice beneath them. I'll finish them with some Rufus Teauge honeywhisky BBQ at 375 for 15 min.
Anyone else bother or do you just toss them to the dogs?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm not very fond of eating ribs, not even BBQ ribs. Too much work and mess for not much meat. But it just doesn't seem like giving the animal proper respect to waste meat. So I roll all the meat off of the ribs and put it in the bag along with the other stuff that I'm going to grind.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Uh....mine rock!
Top two are whitetail bottom is elk
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mostly the ribs on our white tails consist of "cat jello". It provides a treat for the farm cats where we butcher our deer.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I'll stop by the processor Sunday around dark and grab the next batch.
Thinking...beer parboil and the dry rub and Treager.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Grind mine as well, as we use deer burger for everything from chili, to spaghetti, soup, etc.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
in the early days, we wrapped and baked every rib that came off the deer. in later days, we started stripping the meat off and putting into the grind bag for hamburger. it works both ways.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Last few seasons my BIL has been putting the ribs from his deer in the smoker, they turn out real good. On deer that I harvest I use my filet knife to remove the strips of meat between the ribs, I marinate overnight in teriyaki and make jerky out of them smoking with alderwood.
They turn out great and seldom last very long.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate to waste any part of a deer, but I have to admit they usually get thrown out. I have had them in the past where we left the flank meat on them and grilled/bbq'd them and they came out pretty good.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Not enough meat on them to fool with.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally shoot mine in the ribs, but what meat is good gets used, as burger mostly. I like deer burger with nothing else added for taco meat and spaghetti meat. If I am making a burger I want some fat added. I need to get back to making sausage. I used to quite a bit, then quit. Breakfast sausage not stuffed. I would like to take some meat to the local processor and have Him make smoked sausage, but He will not keep meat separate from others, and I am leery of how some people handle theirs before the processor gets it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a big rib guy. I love ribs, especially a good texas style beef rib.

I am not fond of venison ribs. There is too little there to make it worthwhile. This is one of the reasons I generally put my shots in the boiler room. I know I'm not messing up anything important.

My first run-in with ribs was with my first buck. It had been taken in fairly warm weather on Opening Day of bow season. Despite slow cooking, the ribs tasted like freshly mown grass and were instantly dumped in the garbage.

I didn't hazard a try at the ribs until several years later-- a lot of work for little in return. I gave up on them for years. When I got them, they usually got boiled, the bones removed, and the rest served to the dogs mixed with rice.

About a decade ago, I took a buck into the processor and on a whim I asked if he'd fix me a pack or two of ribs out of it. Jake must have been a bit overwhelmed from the record number of deer that had shown up that day. He fired back "If you wouldn't keep using that !#!@#!@ cannon on them, I might be able to!" He was referring to the Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen. I had to admit the Whelenizer did seem to be particularly hard on rib meat. He apologized profusely later. Lord, how I miss Jake!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Reminds me of a story I've told here before. I joined a club in Mississippi back in the '90s. First season friends Charles, Paul and I went over for turkey season. After a successful turkey hunt, Charles dug around in the deep freeze and found a bunch of deer ribs there. He put them in his Cajun Cooker and they were ready by supper. Invited the caretaker/ guide over to eat with us. Those ribs disappeared fast and the guide raved about how good they were. He must have told the deer hunters too cause they never left any ribs in the freezer after that. frown

Last edited by websterparish47; 09/22/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've slow cooked them. They come out ok, not much meat. I almost always strip the meat off and grind it though. No sense wasting it.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC

I'm not very fond of eating ribs, not even BBQ ribs. Too much work and mess for not much meat. But it just doesn't seem like giving the animal proper respect to waste meat. So I roll all the meat off of the ribs and put it in the bag along with the other stuff that I'm going to grind.

KC

Same here.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Not enough meat on them to fool with.

I agree I don't mess with them. Our deer are pretty small compared deer in other parts of the country.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys who get to eat elk all the time really suck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our deer aren't overly small but what flank meat there is usually gets pulled off and ground with the rest. I usually go for body shots but others I hunt with like to shoot stuff in the head. I might try slipping the meat from in between the ribs this year and making it into jerky....

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rlott
You guys who get to eat elk all the time really suck.
Normally the ribs are left for the coyotes. I cut the meat off but the bones stay. Packing an elk is hard enough without taking worthless bones out, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ringworm
Anyone else bother....?

The black folks at the end of the road "runs" to my truck when they see me coming up out of the woods on Sunday afternoon.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (22magnut, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,875 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,573
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.