-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,676 of 1,842 1 2 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't wait to see pics of the kids beaming ear to ear with a deer, Tom. It's gonna be a good season. Good luck guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by tzone
Well both actually. The biggest buck so far is north of Duluth, but in a different place than you've been. WI has tons of deer where hunt. There are 6 different bucks in one area, 2 are 8pts.

TZone, I hunt in west side of Price co. Even in the big woods there are more deer than in the last 6 or 7 yrs. I have noticed there are more bucks . Many are little ones but a few are bigger, one , , , is darn near a trophy. It has gotten a lot better. in Price co. Still, not a whole lot in the big woods but might actually see some deer this fall.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been doing my best to deplete the local walleye population. Put 22 in the freezer in the last week, should almost be enough to hold us over for the Winter. I miss Ice fishing so much, it sucks around here so it's not worth going. I have a MN annual license I could go back to my old haunts I suppose and scratch that itch. First things first I guess, deer hunting!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hunting has been slow over here. Too hot. Went out early goose opener and got a few. Hunted an Amish farm the next day and came home with some smoked horseradish Munster cheese and some home churned butter! Cheese was great! Hunting, not so much.

My boy and I did the youth duck opener. He got 3 woodies and a bonus teal. All 4 were on the grill for lunch that afternoon. His call. Excellent eats.

Wish I had Dave's skills. Same boy is in driver's training with one more week to go. He's been all over the county and then some; driving with his class. I asked him to unhook the trailer yesterday and pull the truck into the driveway. He got most of it right. Except the part where he drives my truck into my wife's car. That would be the same truck that I just got out of the shop a month ago after someone crunched my front end at Walmart. And the same wife's car that's getting a new windshield Weds from a previous rock hit. So glad I changed to a cheaper insurance last week. This is NOT going to be good. As soon as I regain my composure, I will determine how many decades he's grounded for.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hang in there Charlie. It seems like every kid that's just got (or is about to get) a driver's license gets in an accident or two. Heck, a friend of ours had their son get in two accidents at the entrance to the high school. Wouldn't have been so bad, but in the one he hit a big yellow school bus! Luckily no one got hurt. He's been accident free since the second one. All he did in that one was rear end the principal.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deer season just can't get here fast enough. It's going to be an interesting season. My daughter and her boyfriend want to hunt with us this fall. This just came to light last week, so now the scramble begins to cobbel together gear for the two of them. I had all ready promised my loaner rifle to my son's buddy for this fall, so the weaponry's gonna get a little thin. My daughter's boyfriend will carry my '06 Mauser, Ellie will carry my 20 ga. slug gun. Leaves us with my AR as a backup rifle. I never thought I'd find my self wanting more deer rifles, but times are changing. Now that Ellie's showing interest in hunting, I've got to go pick up a .243 for her. She's never gone with me before, so we'll be doing a bit of woods walking in the next few weeks to somewhat show her the ropes.

I know she's concerned she might not get another chance due to my health issues. I sure hope that's not the case, but I'm sure not going to pass up this opportunity to get her into the woods and make some memories. I get to introduce three new hunters to the shooting sports this fall. How cool is that? I'll be busier than a one legged man in an azz kicking contest this season, and I can't wait.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by tzone
Well both actually. The biggest buck so far is north of Duluth, but in a different place than you've been. WI has tons of deer where hunt. There are 6 different bucks in one area, 2 are 8pts.

TZone, I hunt in west side of Price co. Even in the big woods there are more deer than in the last 6 or 7 yrs. I have noticed there are more bucks . Many are little ones but a few are bigger, one , , , is darn near a trophy. It has gotten a lot better. in Price co. Still, not a whole lot in the big woods but might actually see some deer this fall.

We are in Douglass and Washburn for the areas in WI we're hunting. It's been bucks only for 4-5 years. This year there are 600 antlerless permits I think. I didn't apply for one since my son can shoot a buck and doe. We don't need piles of deer. But we'll eat 2.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Hunting has been slow over here. Too hot. Went out early goose opener and got a few. Hunted an Amish farm the next day and came home with some smoked horseradish Munster cheese and some home churned butter! Cheese was great! Hunting, not so much.

My boy and I did the youth duck opener. He got 3 woodies and a bonus teal. All 4 were on the grill for lunch that afternoon. His call. Excellent eats.

Wish I had Dave's skills. Same boy is in driver's training with one more week to go. He's been all over the county and then some; driving with his class. I asked him to unhook the trailer yesterday and pull the truck into the driveway. He got most of it right. Except the part where he drives my truck into my wife's car. That would be the same truck that I just got out of the shop a month ago after someone crunched my front end at Walmart. And the same wife's car that's getting a new windshield Weds from a previous rock hit. So glad I changed to a cheaper insurance last week. This is NOT going to be good. As soon as I regain my composure, I will determine how many decades he's grounded for.

Ahhhh. Can't ground kids for that stuff. He's learning. grin Unless he drove it into her car because he was looking at his phone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Deer season just can't get here fast enough. It's going to be an interesting season. My daughter and her boyfriend want to hunt with us this fall. This just came to light last week, so now the scramble begins to cobbel together gear for the two of them. I had all ready promised my loaner rifle to my son's buddy for this fall, so the weaponry's gonna get a little thin. My daughter's boyfriend will carry my '06 Mauser, Ellie will carry my 20 ga. slug gun. Leaves us with my AR as a backup rifle. I never thought I'd find my self wanting more deer rifles, but times are changing. Now that Ellie's showing interest in hunting, I've got to go pick up a .243 for her. She's never gone with me before, so we'll be doing a bit of woods walking in the next few weeks to somewhat show her the ropes.

I know she's concerned she might not get another chance due to my health issues. I sure hope that's not the case, but I'm sure not going to pass up this opportunity to get her into the woods and make some memories. I get to introduce three new hunters to the shooting sports this fall. How cool is that? I'll be busier than a one legged man in an azz kicking contest this season, and I can't wait.

Let me know if you need something. I have a few that would be available if needed. I have a .44mag single shot Handi Rifle that has a low-power scope on it that is light, short easy to shoot with low recoil and knocks the hell outta deer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an xs7 in 243 with a 2.5-8 on it and an 1894 in 44 magnum with iron sights

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Gophergunner, I hope you are ok and hope your health issues dont slow you down too much. I imagine you won't get to Pensylvania this year neither huh? As for me , I am so pressed for time that I hunt just 4-6 miles from home on some public land instead of the 486 miles round trip to my cabin I used to go to. Also, is this the daughter that played softball?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ihookem
Gophergunner, I hope you are ok and hope your health issues dont slow you down too much. I imagine you won't get to Pensylvania this year neither huh? As for me , I am so pressed for time that I hunt just 4-6 miles from home on some public land instead of the 486 miles round trip to my cabin I used to go to. Also, is this the daughter that played softball?

Sure is, jhookem! She never showed much interest in this, but now wants to go. I just lined up another rifle tonight. A 7mm Mauser. Should be about perfect for her. This gets her out of getting pounded by the shotgun slugs. Thinking about picking up a blind big enough to sit the three of us. I just don't feel comfortable turning them loose without me tagging along. I haven't hunted with someone else in the blind since my son started sitting by himself. This would be a fun experience, and the blind would at least give us a chance of not getting busted by the deer. Pretty tough to have three people sitting together and not get "discovered" by a deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A 7mm Mauser you say? Do tell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The buddy of my son that I lined the rifle up for last fall isn't going to be able to hunt this fall and wants us to use his rifle. 7 mm Spanish Mauser. Nothing pretty-chopped up military stock. Weaver bases and rings and a 3x-9x ???? scope. It shot Privi factory ammo into a 2 inch group the last time he shot it. Good enough for hunting in the woods. Our longest shot would be about 85 yards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would maybe pick up a box of federal blue box 140's for that and try them too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
As far as sitting in a blind all 3. I'd find another way if I could. I've done it, and it flat doesn't work. I sit in a blind with 2 still, and i'll give you a few pointers.

Last edited by tzone; 09/28/17.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
As far as sitting in a blind goes, I've had my share over the past 15 years or so from sitting with wives, kids, girlfriends, 2 somewhat hetro-sexual midgets, and one time (just once I promise) a lot lizard.

Here are a few tips...

1)
One gun per blind. Any more than that is not safe. AT ALL! One gun..do you really think you'll have a chance to shoot more than one deer at a time anyway? The odds of that happening are about 0.2%. It may happen once in your life. It won't happen twice. It's crazy enough when a deer is sighted while you're on the ground or in a tree stand. In a blind it's amplified because you're all close together....One gun.

2)
Any noise in the blind like a zipper, velcro, a mildly wet fart, or a shoulder touching the side of the blind will be heard for at least 3 counties. The colder it is, the louder they get and may be heard in further counties.

3)
Try as hard as you can to have 2 instead of 3 in a blind. 2 is hard enough. 3's company.

You'll each have super comfy chairs that Goldilocks herself couldn't complain about, lunches, backpacks, space heaters, sleeping bags, 1-3 cases of Steel City Beer, several bags of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies, Vaseline, rubber boots, a book of matches, ball gag, tomato paste, a roll of paper towels, a pack or 2 of smokes, crab legs, deer calls, compass, gps, a Bowie knife, 2-5 pocket knives, a skinning knife, a bonning knife, a pearing knife, a switch blade, a lock blade, a drop point knife, a chopping knife, a fillet knife, a buck 501 folding knife, and a spare knife if the others get lost, nun-chucks, throwing stars, hand cuffs, 2 mags, and 3 extra boxes of shells in case it gets real up in here!!

After all that, you guys might be able to get in the blind.

4)
A pee bucket. Or plan to hang it (get as close to the edge of the window for the less gifted) out the window. This is where guessing on the proper amount of clothing to wear becomes VERY important. Too many layers and you're in trouble. Four inches of clothes and 3 inches of wiener... you're getting wet!

Blinds are noisy. Going in and out is noisier yet and add 1 or 2 more people to this and it's a zipper fest. If someone does choose to leave the blind to pee or more importantly, poop, a picture MUST be taken. This is non-negotiable.

Poop and pee pics are standard deer camp practices and this sacred tradition must not be broken. If you are the Pee'r, the proper educate to pose for the picture is to have your dick in one hand (its both hands for me) and give the pic taker the middle finger with the other. If you're the pooper, the pose is double middle fingers. Again, non-negotiable. Make sure you keep your balance for this one. If you're not leaning on a tree or bending over a log, things could get interesting. Remember to check your bibs before you pull them back up.

5)
Wear a hood or hat that is at least somewhat water proof. With the frosty cool November air, and all you hot air, heavy mouth breathing sums of bishes in there... Moisture is going to accumulate on the roof of the blind. This is fine for about 3 drips and then you remember it's someone else's spit. (pass the paper towels) Then you're going to want tear through the roof of the blind, toss your super comfy hunting chair, kick your Tollhouse extra chewy chocolate chip cookies into the air as you scream like a zoo monkey from the Chinese water spit torture that has made your hair and shoulders wet.

6)
This is almost as important as #1. We could have even called it 1a.

The night before the opener, DO NOT eat chili, gas station burritos, canned Vienna sausages, Kraut and polish, smoked salmon, smoked carp, smoked sucker, smoked catfish, smoked sausage, smoked smoke, tuna sub, Grainbelt, Lennie's Oktoberfest, pickled herring, pickled northern, pickled bluegill, pickled walleye, pickled carp, pickled bullhead, pickled spruce grouse, pickled pickles, cabbage soup, garlic bread, or wolf bait.

The foul odor from one of you stinky bastards is bad enough. Can you imagine this all coming out of the top of 3 pairs of blaze orange bibs at the same time? you'll have to add Glade Red Honeysuckle Nectar and Lavender Peach Blossom candles to your gear list.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Cryin here!

Your deer blinds must have been something else Tommy! lmao

Last edited by Rooster7; 09/28/17.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy [bleep] Tzone you gotta publish that ! lol

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
My walk from the house to the work shop felt chilly this morning. Looked at the outdoor temp when I got to the shop. 34

That was after 7 AM, sun was climbing. I wonder if it dipped to 32?

Something clever here.

Page 1,676 of 1,842 1 2 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.