Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The series was billed as a "discourse" of different views. Utter BS. It was a bitter, anti-war, leftist diatribe. It completely ignored those of us who went there to defend the South against communism, fought honestly, and came home with honor. There was little mention of the Air Force effort and none at all about the Navy.

One featured "soldier" was Tim O'Brien, that half man consumed by angst and self apology so beloved by the left. His books should have been titled "Kooking with Whine."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What did you expect Rock? PBS, and Ken Burns, after all.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the review. I wondered about some of it, having talked to several cousins and friends through the years who were there. Thanks for your service.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks, Rocky. I gave up on it early on.

Retired cat herder.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I watched the first 4 or 5 and felt that my time would be wasted by watching any more.

They keep trying to make the whole one sided without telling the other side,you know the ones that went there and tried to do their job.

Seems anymore the true whole story can not be told without bias.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The series was billed as a "discourse" of different views. Utter BS. It was a bitter, anti-war, leftist diatribe. It completely ignored those of us who went there to defend the South against communism, fought honestly, and came home with honor. There was little mention of the Air Force effort and none at all about the Navy.

One featured "soldier" was Tim O'Brien, that half man consumed by angst and self apology so beloved by the left. His books should have been titled "Kooking with Whine."

No wonder Sycamore liked it and no wonder I hated it without having watched it...:)

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not have expected anything else from that wig wearing,left wing apparatchik.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I studiously watched the whole thing and mostly agree with Rocky. I had expected a military history, but for the most part got a political history that got more left-sided as it went along. It seemed to me it spent entirely too much time glorifying the hippie scum, the leftie protesters waving their NVA flags, the draft-dodging college pukes safe in their university deferments. It spent entirely too little time depicting the thousands of daily acts of bravery be members of all the services and almost no time at all on the despicable way they were treated when they returned.

I felt it WAS useful in portraying the political duplicity of several US presidents and their henchmen, clarifying for me at least the depth of the screwups and decisions made for politics instead of winning the war.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jnyork
I studiously watched the whole thing and mostly agree with Rocky. I had expected a military history, but for the most part got a political history that got more left-sided as it went along. It seemed to me it spent entirely too much time glorifying the hippie scum, the leftie protesters waving their NVA flags, the draft-dodging college pukes safe in their university deferments. It spent entirely too little time depicting the thousands of daily acts of bravery be members of all the services and almost no time at all on the despicable way they were treated when they returned.

I felt it WAS useful in portraying the political duplicity of several US presidents and their henchmen, clarifying for me at least the depth of the screwups and decisions made for politics instead of winning the war.

+1.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I watched it knowing it would have a left bias to it, PBS and all.

I was surprised on how they showed LBJ as the bumbling idiot that he was, even though the left loves him for the Great Society and all. I am glad that they showed McNamara as the toolbag that he was.

I did like in the last episode when they showed the NYC construction workers thumping those hippies.

Hats off to those that served there.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm an episode behind. I had to fast forward thru the scene where Agnew was debating the young hippies on David Frosts show.

Not that I'm a fan of Agnew or any of those corrupt asses but I was getting tired of the focus moving away from Vietnam.

I don't have a problem with the content except I'm not interested in it -there is nothing new or particularly thought provoking about what he's covering in the protesters.

I would have liked to hear more about the fallout from My Lai (that may be coming in the next episodes). I read up on Hugh Thompson and Cally last night. Cally's trial and what happened to him afterwards is worth covering.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/29/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thought it was OK in the first installments but then I could see it tanking rather quickly..Disappointed to say the least especially since our involvement was depicted as a lost cause right from the beginning,,it was not,, DC politics made it so.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Thought it was OK in the first installments but then I could see it tanking rather quickly..Disappointed to say the least especially since our involvement was depicted as a lost cause right from the beginning,,it was not,, DC politics made it so.

^^^^^^10+^^^^^^

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

According to the PBS schedule each episode will be re-aired back to back in sequence starting at 10:30 am (central time) tomorrow morning, Saturday - 9/29 .

The series as a whole sure did a great deal more in depth expounding on the short comings of the U.S. military and politics than that of the Communists.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I couldn't watch very many episodes because I got really pissed off. I knew all the politicians were totally corrupt but I realize how corrupt the lying MSM was back then.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well then, glad I missed it.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

There was good series entitled Battlefront Vietnam. If they allowed country wide elections prior to US involvement in the conflict Ho Chi Minh would have won by landslide. The war was pointless. I hope you were not stupid enough to volunteer to go there.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i'm glad PBS produced, and spent the money to offer us this rendition of the "truth." ha ha, what a joke. that was a political war, not a military war. we did it based upon ideology, not right & wrong. the winners are always right, the losers always wrong. get it? there's a mystery here being revealed. we lost the war, and now the story is being corrected, beyond the governmental propaganda we were "force fed" during and after the ordeal. it was an ordeal, everyone knows that surely.

i'm sorry we lost. i am. i was a young male of the vietnam era, and winning in my mind was everything. the US can do no wrong. we're the supreme rulers of the earth, because of divine right.

unfortunately, we got our arses beaten because of the war criminal johnson and his decisioning. the marines, army, air force nor navy lost the war. but their political commander in chief did.

i'm glad the pbs showed the other side of the debacle. and debacle it was.

i'm sorry for every troop that lost their life, got injured, or was forced to serve.

the volunteers are another group entirely.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I spent much of my life volunteering, Slavek, including for Vietnam. For which I was and remain proud.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I spent much of my life volunteering, Slavek, including for Vietnam. For which I was and remain proud.

He's trolling you. Don't respond to that dumb fugk.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 80 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.