Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Franken99 x 270 Redding is my latest love, I named her "Neckter", and will be my go-to this season, and the 303SRC for my doe permit, she's called "Curly"

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by JeffG; 10/04/17.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice work.......................If it floats your boat, go for it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Opening day in WV will be the 1950 R in 250 with a 2-7 Redfield. After I tag one I'll switch to the 1951 R in 300 with the Leupold 3.5X10. MD opener is the 1912 H with the Malcolm scope in 22 HP, if I tag one I'll switch to the 1908 B in 303. We have a late rifle season in January, If I tagged out on the other guns, I'll use the 1919 250-3000 Rifle I got from 99guy. I'm really trying to get the Savage Slam this year, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
LBK, you took not hunting with an ugly rifle to a whole new level. Very nice shooting irons. We all be salivating over your eye candy.

Joe, sounds like you have a sound plan. As stated in my original post, my 1926 F is 2nd on the list. Out to 100 yards I'm dern near as comfortable with the lyman Peep as a scoped iron. The folks whom were at Savage Fest east in 2016 seen it there. Its quite accurate with 180 gr Sierra round nose deer deflators .
My 1907 might have to be in my pocket.....just because.

Last edited by oldotter; 10/05/17.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Double Ot
Hate to interrupt, but you seem to be telling the Chicopee Falls gang one thing and a local yokal like me another; the way I heard it, a Mountain Rifle from a company that begins with an "R" was first up. Either the 30-06 or the 99T sound like a good plan, but when you have a rifle from a Company that used to reside in North Haven, Ct. it would have to be at the top of the list.

That, or a Model 925 that so threatened Aurther and his product that he had to buy it to bury it.LOL

Last edited by Savorino; 10/07/17.

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks, Lightfoot for the memory refreshment as to the posting of pics from the image gallery. . As soon as I read it, it came back to me.
This is the back up to the 1940 99 T. It be a 1926 99F in 303 Savage. It has a Lyman 29 1/2 on the tang. Won't actually know which goes out to the blind opening morning till I go out. The 99T , which is slotted as the #1 seed, is upside down. I corrected it before the copy / paste, but it still came thru upside down.Yes, Savirino, I expressed desire to take the 30-06 700 Mountain rifle,
but the Savage lure is too strong. Every deer I let the air out of in Michigans beautiful upper has been with a Savage. Can't break the tradition now.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by oldotter; 10/07/17.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beat the crap out of the .284 this weekend. She's got a dozen dings she didn't have on Friday. Lots of hiking cliffs and vine maple choked hillsides hoping to flush a big buck or bear.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This year will be a 303G for me. My boys will be going with a 250F and a either a 30-30 SR or the 300F. Good luck everyone.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Been working with the 99T .300 and Mauser .30-06 the last two weekends. Satisfied with the results, now to spend time with one of the .22HP's and the Winchester M54 .30-30. As always, I'll make the final choice the night before opening day. Might even carry the AR .223 a day or two in Maryland because, well, I can and I feel like it to prove a point.

Gotta get a foul weather rifle ready now too, I suppose. Spending a week in Cameron County, PA with my cousin at his camp. If I don't at least make an appearance in the woods if the weather turns to sh*t I'll never live it down. Probably use a BRNO Mauser 8x57 brought home by an uncle and which has gone through several transformations over the years. On the other hand, there is indeed a cozy fireplace in his cabin...

Perhaps even the .22 Hornet, because it's PA legal, and I can, and I feel like it.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/09/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had the sales clerk flabbergasted at a LGS in PA where I bought my non-resident hunting license last weekend. I grabbed a box of .32ACP's (the only cf cartridge I shoot for which I don't load for- I fire the Walther PP about once every 4 years) too- a tattered box containing 30 W-W 60gr.Silvertip hollowpoints for $10. With a dumb look on my face (not hard for me to achieve), I asked the clerk if they would be good for deer out of a Winchester M94 .32 Special. He actually turned to ask his older workmate before I started laughing.

Oh boy. Old gun fart humor.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Only if your Winchester M94 has the rare special order inverse trans morgifier barrel enhancer package can this be safely done. I've only heard of such rifles, never actually seen one.

As to my original post, "Definite Maybe", the plot thickens. I have a 1951 (factory) D/T EG that has also demanded attention. This next 35 days are going to be agonizing. Chances are I'll head north with something not even on the list yet.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Probably end up doing what I did last year: string a bunch of claymores up and down the hollow and go sit in a bar with a smartphone watching the trail cams, with a remote detonator in one hand and a babe in the other. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Probably end up doing what I did last year: string a bunch of claymores up and down the hollow and go sit in a bar with a smartphone watching the trail cams, with a remote detonator in one hand and a babe in the other. laugh

I'm confused, which hand holds a cocktail? And what about her friend?

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Friend(s) plural. They'll be out in the truck waiting to go fetch the deers.

(And no, i haven't touched a drop since Friday night.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/10/17.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Took my Savage lightweight mod 11 and a tikka 270 this year. The Savage 11 lightweight is butt ugly with the milled flats on the receiver and the slotted forend on the stock but dam it shoots. In 7-08. Used Hornady Precision Hunter 150gr. It shoots better than my handload. Either it's very good or my handload needs more work or both. Worked well on the deer. The Tikka never left the case.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
[quote=gnoahhh]Friend(s) plural. They'll be out in the truck waiting to go fetch the deers.

(And no, i haven't touched a drop since Friday night.)[/quote

If you can pry a couple of "recruits" off a stool to help gut / drag in a deer, you are truly my hero. smile
I still am in indecision land as to what goes out to the blind on opening morning. I am a terrible at making these important life decisions.
BTW, you may have indeed not touched a drop, but how about a pint? Its all in the wording......from a fellow whom may also enjoy a few libations.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Come day, go day. Wishin' my heart it was Monday.
Ohohohoh, drinkin' buttermilk all the week, whiskey on a Sunday."

(Google "Whiskey on a Sunday" by the Dubliners if you wanna hear a neat old Irish song.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/19/17.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I can pick for you if that would help? You live up there where all the Deer-r-born, so there should be plenty of them. On opening day they won't be spooked, so you should be able to get one in to 15-20 yards, use the 26F. Even with a hang over and the bed spins you should be able to plunk one with the 303. Save the scopes for later when they get a little jumpy, buy then the world will quit spinning and you can hold the cross hairs steady, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.