Print Thread
Hop To
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have been reading as much as I can about this unit as this is my first trip to hunt out west. I know it's a busy unit, and I expect to see other hunters. Anyone familiar with the area mind to lend me some advice on areas within the unit to hunt. Going 2nd rifle.

Also what is the typical weather there that time of year. I have all the necessary gear just want to make sure I'm not unprepared.

Any help greatly appreciated

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Weather could range from highs in the 70's to temps in the teens with a foot of snow. Pay attention to the forecast and be prepared for snow. You can drive down the mesa tops and watch basins from vantage points or you can still hunt aspens and dark timber. Just make sure your vehicle is capable of making it back out of anywhere you drive in case it rains or snows during the day. Roads and trails can get sloppy in a hurry with precipitation. Don't overlook areas close to roads and trails that have good cover. Hopefully the ranchers have removed their cattle like they are supposed to.

Divide road is basically the highest point and is the western edge of the unit. Everything is down from there. The elk can generally be found at any elevation from top to bottom that time of year. If you have a bull tag, don't be picky as you may only get one or two chances. Be realistic about your abilities to get an elk out before you shoot it. If you bring a 4 wheeler please use it only on authorized roads and trails. There will be lots of hunters but there are decent numbers of elk.
Don't push yourself too much the first couple of days and stay hydrated. Carry a couple of compasses and a map and don't rely only on a gps as they can break. Carry a basic survival kit and something to resharpen your knife. If you have to leave your elk over night get some logs or limbs under it to allow for air circulation. Meat can sour with the hide on even laying in snow. Take lots of pictures and have a great time!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sambo3006
Weather could range from highs in the 70's to temps in the teens with a foot of snow. Pay attention to the forecast and be prepared for snow. You can drive down the mesa tops and watch basins from vantage points or you can still hunt aspens and dark timber. Just make sure your vehicle is capable of making it back out of anywhere you drive in case it rains or snows during the day. Roads and trails can get sloppy in a hurry with precipitation. Don't overlook areas close to roads and trails that have good cover. Hopefully the ranchers have removed their cattle like they are supposed to.

Divide road is basically the highest point and is the western edge of the unit. Everything is down from there. The elk can generally be found at any elevation from top to bottom that time of year. If you have a bull tag, don't be picky as you may only get one or two chances. Be realistic about your abilities to get an elk out before you shoot it. If you bring a 4 wheeler please use it only on authorized roads and trails. There will be lots of hunters but there are decent numbers of elk.
Don't push yourself too much the first couple of days and stay hydrated. Carry a couple of compasses and a map and don't rely only on a gps as they can break. Carry a basic survival kit and something to resharpen your knife. If you have to leave your elk over night get some logs or limbs under it to allow for air circulation. Meat can sour with the hide on even laying in snow. Take lots of pictures and have a great time!

Some of the best and most comprehensive advice I've seen given. Well done.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've heard tell that the farther you can get down off the divide road (and also away from motorized trails) the better the hunting gets. And down in the canyons is best for the obvious reason that not many want to pack one out of there.

There's lots of 4-wheeler and dirt bike trails so get one of the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for the Uncompaghre National Forest from the Forest Service. That will give you an idea of where the easy access is, the places you want to get away from.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Man sambo, thanks for the help. We will be taking a quad but I don't see us using it much, never have in the past. We are both physically in pretty good shape and have no qualms with hard work. So if it means go deep in the canyons then that's what has to be done. I honestly just hope to see some elk and have a fun experience. Shooting any bull would be icing on the cake.

Smoke pole, thanks also. Will be grabbing those maps and getting a idea of where I don't want to go.

We are going with three older gentleman from my hunting buddies church who have been going for like 20 years I believe.hopefully they are willing to throw us some pointers also. They have killed a lot of elk there, and a couple of very nice bulls over the years. They did explain that it's a tough hunt. I have been trying to study maps, is there any remote area you guys have had good success in over the years?!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So you want a challenge hunt Roubideau go deep.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
To add to Sambo's post, the southernmost fifth of the Plateau is private. The lower reaches of the canyons are often private, which means you have to go down for elk and if you kill something the pack out is up. Check the benches on the sides of the canyons. This year has been a very dry summer. Cattle have beat the snarf out of the grass this year.(don't get me started). Wettish areas that are difficult for cattle to access may be better than usual.

Ever since Al Gore invented global warming, the 2nd season has been a LOT warmer than it has the first 40 years of my elk hunting career. Although it hit 20 degrees this past Monday morning at our high country place at 9k+ altitude, that is common at some point in September, but October mornings have been 35-45 most of the time for the past 10-15 years. The lower you go the warmer it's going to be. Of course, be prepared for 20 degrees and a foot of snow too. It happens. In fact, pray for snow 'cause the hunting immediately gets a lot better.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks guys. Keep it coming if you don't mind. Tell me more about Roubideaux. I had seen the road with that name and the creek. I'm guessing that's a canyon with a creek at the bottom. Good area?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Its named after the inventor of French fries, Harold Roubideaux.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Got a killer load for the 260 with 140vld. Printed a .336 group two days ago. Got to work that a little more and make sure it holds good at 400 though. That's my limit on elk with the 260 for me. Excited to finally get to use this custom rifle on this hunt.

Guys I am very grateful for your advice. Any other thoughts or advice?

IC B3

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Bump. Anybody else want to lend me some info. I greatly appreciate all the info that has been given. Once again thanks guys

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.