Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I would like to see more C tube length " Front tube" in the scopes by 1". It allows for better scope adjustment especially for people with long LOP. The factory standard 13 1/2" works but not for everybody. Having the ability to adjust eye relief to personal preferences would be great.
Leupold FXII 6x36mm is hard to beat at 10 oz.'s. I would like to see the same quality of glass installed in it as their 6x42mm with 5" eye relief.
I would also like to see Leupold reintroduce their centerfire 4x28mm long tube scope with 5" eye relief and all in click adjustment.
Having to use offset rings or bases to make up for scope limitations in mounting shows lack of engineering etc...
I also went a full circle and went back to fixed power.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Yesterday, I put about 80 rounds through a short action Fieldcraft wearing a Tract Toric 2-10x42. I like the scope. If changing anything to make it my perfect hunting scope I'd make it in 6x fixed for less moving parts and slightly lighter. A few of the things I like about it:

Easy to use: Great glass, great eye relief, great "eye-box" (closest I've seen to the 6x42 Leupold....very easy to get behind), bold reticle.

Elevation dial with zero stop: The standard capped elevation dial can be swapped out for a taller elevation dial with a zero stop. The zero stop is a hard zero stop and the design is excellent. Raise it up, dial up to slightly less than 1 rotation (~18 MOA available, 20 per full rotation but the zero stop eats a little of the rotation), can be pushed back down at any point in that range so it doesn't change. A slightly higher cap comes with it so the user can cap the higher dial if they wish. Standard capped windage and no parralax on this model. I'll use this capped elevation dial, capping it with a 100 yard zero when hunting woods and traveling, then leaving it bare when hunting fields to dial for longer shots.

1" tube/mid-weight: I like the 1" tube vs 30mm for slight weight savings. Down side is loss of elevation adjustment for LONG rangers. I think overall it only has ~60 MOA elevation. For a hunting scope, I don't need more than 18 MOA from zero (with zero stop installed), but I understand that some may. The weight is still a little over 18 oz's with the capped elevation dial...I'd love it to be under 16, but it's still lighter than most tactical scopes.

Yesterday I zero'd it at 100, found my 200 adjustment, found my 300 adjustment, and went back and forth between the ranges many times shooting mainly 3 shot groups. Often I'd run it 18 MOA up then back down. Return to zero seemed good, but I only put about 80 rounds through it, dialing every 3-6 shots....so this is limited testing and yardages were short...but a lot of 18 up/down was done even when not needed.

I've not run this scope through the ringer enough to sing it's praises and call it all good, but for a "hunting" scope, I really like a lot of the features it offers, especially for a hunting scope that's going to be dialed. This same scope in a fixed 6x42 would just about be my "perfect" scope....assuming it stands the test of time/use. I'm planning to use it as my only scope this deer season from mid-Oct to the first week in Feb (aside from my muzzleloader). I'm planning to switch it across several rifles....but I'm liking the Fieldcraft so it may stay on it for the entire season...we'll see. It will get a lot of rough use during those ~4 months...we'll see how it does.

I'm not affilated with the company and I purchased the scope, so don't take this as me pushing the company. I think the folks at Tract put a lot of thought into how they were designing their "hunting" scopes. They seemed to have designed these scopes specifically for hunting. I think it shows in the product. They've got several models aside from the one I used yesterday and I'm not familiar with all the options, bells, and whistles that come with them so check out their website. One more thing that stands out about Tract is their business model of selling their scopes directly to the consumer to avoid retailer markup.

I took my new Tract Toric 2-10x42 to the range yesterday. I had bought it for a rifle I will receive next spring, but I had to try it out. It will stay on the rifle it is on for this deer season. I did not test it as extensively as JCMCUBIC did but I agree with "Easy to use: Great glass, great eye relief, great "eye-box" (closest I've seen to the 6x42 Leupold....very easy to get behind), bold reticle." Now I will have to buy another for next year's rifle. I still have and like the Meopta 6x42 with German #4 reticle but a couple of them have been supplanted by the Tract Toric.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1-12x42

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd build a 6X42 FXIII with the LR reticle.

If I could make it lighter I would.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner
There is about a gajillion scopes out on the market today. Seems about half the new offerings are meant to appeal to the tacticool crowd but doesn't seem like much new is being built for hunting rigs.

What I'd like to see is a 30mm, light weight, compact scope, with a low profile EL turret, small ocular, maybe even a straight tube 24mm objective and I want it bullet proof and under 16oz.

So many scopes out now seem to have HUGE objectives that require a damn truss to mount it, weigh over a pound and a half, and still can't hold zero. Not to mention I dont need 24x's to shoot a fuggin' deer. I like and still use 6x42 Leupolds, but would like to see an updated compact version that doesn't have a two inch tall turret sticking out the top.

Is there such an animal out there? Does 6x and a 24mm objective make it a PIA to square up behind?

This is about the closest I've seen to what I gthink would be the perfect big game scope:

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/competition/4.5x24

Why in the world does it need to be 30mm? You want light weight and then specify it to have a 30mm tube which it doesn't need. All the larger tube will do is add weight.

What I want is a 1.5-8X36 with a mill dot reticle with a tritium dot in the center. I want a constant 4" ER and I want it to weigh no more than 16 ounces with plenty of tube length for long actions. I don't want a trendy super shorty,or an objective bell that starts tapering 1" in front of the turret.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Absolutely.

What would you put together for a big game scope?

I really liked my Swarovski 3-9x36, but that sob didn't track for chit. I could live with a scope that size and weight, but in a 3-15x40, side focus, swarovski glass, tracking like a SWFA super sniper scope and good looks of a Leupold VariX-III. Actually something similar to my Nikon Monarch UCC here:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
1-12x42

Now that would be the chit too, keep the weight down to 12 oz's and make it track perfectly and look good too... I'd buy one..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
Right now, my favorite do it all scope is the 6X SS. Excellent eye relief, good usable reticle, dials like it’s on rails, and is pretty bright in my opinion. It has a lot of tube length and mounts easily on most actions.

Had two scopes take a crap on me a few weeks back. Replaced them both with SS 6x I had on other guns. Took two shots to zero and I was back in business.

The 6X SS is hands down the best do all scope there is IMO and I'd not change anything. I have 2 more rifles that will be getting them.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dre
1-12x42

Now that would be the chit too, keep the weight down to 12 oz's and make it track perfectly and look good too... I'd buy one..

Thanks, I think so too. Since we are talking hunting scopes, I figure you can hunt from the thickest brush to Open country and have one scope that does it all.
I love my the field of view of my 1-4 scopes but sure like to see longer way on my higher power scopes.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd have NightForce build a 2.5X8X36 with an ill B&C reticle

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
An S&B PM II 6 x 42 with mildot reticle.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me here in L A (Lower Alabama) the BEST scope was the old Denver made
Redfield Lo-Pro Widefield 2-7 or 3-9 with the TV objectives
I would love to see a modern version of the same scope with
the C H Peep reticle that the old Redfields had.
Until that were to happen I will stick with my Leupold FX-III or FX-3 6x42`with
Heavy Duplex or German #4

Molan Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 1.5-6x42 Schmidt and Bender that meets all to requirements but for weight. and objective size. I would love to have less weight, but I can manage what it weighs without problems. I have a modified #4 with windage hashes. I also have a 2.5-10x50 that I could manage with a 42mm objective and be happy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
I have 3 Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44s with the Firedot duplex that are close to my favorite.
Like the power range, low profile turrets,two turn Zero-lock, illumination ,objective diameter, weight (19 oz).
Would like to add NF or SWFA dependable tracking, and a heavier post duplex or #4 reticle with a windage hash.or two.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Agree. Love my 10x42, there was an attempt at a group buy for a custom PMII 6x42 P3 reticle somewhere a year or two ago but I don't think it went anywhere.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by smokepole

Agree. Love my 10x42, there was an attempt at a group buy for a custom PMII 6x42 P3 reticle somewhere a year or two ago but I don't think it went anywhere.

It probably went into the "get a load of this" file at S & B.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
This is about the closest I've seen to what I gthink would be the perfect big game scope:

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/competition/4.5x24

Agree 100% on this. I emailed them a while ago asking if they'd make it with an illuminated IHR but the silence has been deafening.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The 1.5-6 Minox could use a heavier reticle, and I don’t know if it’s Bomb proof, but I also like the VXR 2-7. A fixed 4x F-XR would be cool my Kahles 2-7 is nice, too

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 10/02/17.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If it were me, ... Leupold already beat me to it in the VX 3 line. For a short action hunting rifle, 2.5-8X, for a long action hunting rifle, 3.5-10X, and for a Sendero or similar, 4.5-14X. I'd go with fixed objective and B&C 'hairs in the first to and make the 2nd an AO with the VH 'hairs. The more time I spend with turrets the less I like them.

Stuff is only complicated if you insist on overthinking it. I tend to overthink things, but not my scopes.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would love a leupold 6x36 scope with SWFA's milquad or moa quad reticle. It would be as close to the ultimate killing scope as I can imagine.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 2500HD, 2ndwind, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.