Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Like has been said. S&b, kahles or Swarovski. Nothing else is close.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Weaver Classic K4 for me, have them on 3/4 of my rifles and have been very pleased with them.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't have any newish 4Xs, but I have some that have remained rock solid for up to thirty years. One is a K4 weaver that was refurbished by Mr. Ruiz before he retired. Another is a late Weaver MicroTrac. It is not on a heavy thumper, but the dial has not been touched in thirty years. Same for a 4X Zeiss in my ..308. For thirty years, I check zero with one shot. Never had to readjust it.

I also have two 3Xs with similar track records. They are an all steel Weaver and an M8 Leupold.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Call me a "Luddite" but I happen to like a good 3x or 4x fixed power scopes for simplicity and long term durability. Over the years I've used a bunch (I do regret letting a Zeiss 4x36 go) and currently I have a Swarovski A-Series 4x32, an IOR 4X32, Leupold M8 3x a 4x28 long tube and a 4x33 and an old Weaver steel K4.
If I needed a new 4x I'd get another IOR or a Leupold and I'd be pretty content for my local hunting.

My next scope will be a Leupold 3x with a #4 reticle, not sure if will go on my 35 Rem. or my 375 H&H.

Obviously YMMV

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 4winds
Just curious about y'alls opinion on the best fixed 4x scope ever made to fit this criteria:

- set it and forget it (no turret twisting)
- hunting only
- great FOV
- ruggedness
- plenty of eye relief

For my latest Brno I went with a Karl Kaps 4x36 with a 30mm main tube, I went this way mainly because the scope will fit on a standard long action and has an ocular housing a tad smaller than leupold, I have been pleasantly surprised to find that the optics are second to none...to my eye at least.

I have added a leupold to shew size.

Kaps 4x36

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by 4winds
Just curious about y'alls opinion on the best fixed 4x scope ever made to fit this criteria:

- set it and forget it (no turret twisting)
- hunting only
- great FOV
- ruggedness
- plenty of eye relief

For my latest Brno I went with a Karl Kaps 4x36 with a 30mm main tube, I went this way mainly because the scope will fit on a standard long action and has a ocular housing a tad smaller than leupold, I have been pleasantly surprised to find that the optics are second to none...to my eye at least.

Kaps 4x36

[Linked Image]

Did you order from the linked page and have it shipped from Germany? Can you tell us approx cost?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Did you order from the linked page and have it shipped from Germany? Can you tell us approx cost?

I purchased it locally for AU $750.00.

It has a 4 reticle and is clean with no superfluous add-ons...the glass is gorgeous to look through.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

You said you bought it locally,so I assume not through the link you provided to Optics Trade Europe,which is appreciated. Do you have any experience or know of anyone who does in ordering through Optics Trade Europe,or dealing with warranty service on a Karl Kaps? They have a couple that look interesting,namely the 4X with German #1 and the 2-8X42 with German #4 in the FFP.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

You said you bought it locally,so I assume not through the link you provided to Optics Trade Europe,which is appreciated. Do you have any experience or know of anyone who does in ordering through Optics Trade Europe,or dealing with warranty service on a Karl Kaps? They have a couple that look interesting,namely the 4X with German #1 and the 2-8X42 with German #4 in the FFP.

I purchased it locally here in Australia, the link to the euro seller was added as a courtesy that you might glean some information as to shipping costs from that locale and technical detail in English.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Apparently the company is family owned and well thought of, they state that the warranty is for 25 years but good luck with verifying that as there is scant information to be had of these optics on the web, what there is seems to point to a quality product.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

When I can afford it I shall purchase another for one of my other Brno.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Really liked my 4X Conquest. But it only lasted for around 50 shots. Got a 4X Leupold now but no mileage on it yet.

Wow! What happened to the Conquest?

You have it mounted on a howitzer or what? Dang. I'm just surprised since I'd heard good things about them.

Regards, Guy

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by GuyM
Really liked my 4X Conquest. But it only lasted for around 50 shots. Got a 4X Leupold now but no mileage on it yet.

You have it mounted on a howitzer or what? Dang. I'm just surprised since I'd heard good things about them.

Regards, Guy

I'm curious as well. I have one mounted on a 35 Whelen and one on a 375 Ruger. Neither of these are range rifles, I've just sighted them in and hunted with them, so they've seen minimal rounds.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
For my latest Brno I went with a Karl Kaps 4x36 with a 30mm main tube, I went this way mainly because the scope will fit on a standard long action and has a ocular housing a tad smaller than leupold, I have been pleasantly surprised to find that the optics are second to none...to my eye at least.

It’s interesting that they’re located in Wetzlar, which is also the home of Leica, Leidolf, Minox, Hensoldt, and Zeiss.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by GuyM

Regards, Guy

These weights are with the Conquest. Had it first mounted on a ~7.5lb .300 magnum (180's @ 3118). Next was a 8.5lb 9.3x62 (270's @ 2410). Like I say around 50 rounds total. Mounted it on a .270Win M70 Classic Fwt. When I tried to bore sight I found a problem with left windage movement. Wouldn't move left consistently and wouldn't go but a bit past center. Right movement was fine. Still is one of my most favorite scope designs though. Zeiss doesn't fix them so I selected a Terra 4-12x42. Sold it here and bought a 4x Leupold.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just checked the zero today on my 7x57 , it's 4x IOR Valdada is where it was supposed to be, and has been since it got put on that rifle a few years ago. Before that it was on a CZ24 in .458 and before that a Win M 70 in .338. In the almost 20 years I have had it, I have never questioned its ruggedness. And it is got some Nice glass and a big 7A retictle for big game and close to moderate range,.
Most of my other guns have a 6x Weaver. But the IOR is just better.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Is this for weight? Do you think they are more reliable than modern variables? I knew that was an arguement decades ago. I do like 4 power. But I like being able to turn up for checking loads. Not that you couldn't swap. Not that you can't check with 4x, I just like to make it easier on myself.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by sigguy
I'd vote for one of the older M8 4X Leupolds, especially the longer tube models, along with another vote for the 4x40 Pre Monarchs and Monarchs.

Long tubes kinda mandatory on a Ruger #1. Couldn't find an old long tube 2-7X but did find a 4X. Woods rig (RSI). I'm gonna leave it on.
Even w long tube I used an offset ring at the back, scope about an 1/8" or so into it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I too have had good service from Leupold and weaver both new and old though I think the current weavers could be better proportioned w/o the long taper to thefront bell. Two scopes that have served me well for a long time are an older USmade Burris 4x with hi-lume lens and a Bushnell scopechief IV. Ive had both for years of good service.. actually the Bushnell is the scope I've owned the longest. And given the years of service and the fact it's still going strong and remains bright and clear plus being sized perfect to fit about any rifle I'd give it top pick in a 4x .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (160user, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 29 invisible), 1,337 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,176
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.