Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12311408 10/04/17
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
How does the right combat the emotions on the left with common sense and reason? What can Trump say to the emotional arguments for gun restrictions? "I'm terribly sorry for the shooting, but the 2nd Amendment says... and as President I'm sworn to uphold the Constitution... the price of freedom is an occasional nutjob...."

"SCREECH SCREECH SCREECH..." non stop from the communists.

"Folks alot smarter than alla you added the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution to give citizens the necessary means to keep tyrannical govt in check..." "Screech screech..."

If you were Trumps speech writer, what would he say?

LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There will always be chicks and chick-like dudes. Some chicks are educable and some aren't. You can talk sense to some people all day long but they still operate on how they feel at a given moment as opposed to how things are. You see it here all the time.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
How does the right combat the emotions on the left with common sense and reason? What can Trump say to the emotional arguments for gun restrictions? "I'm terribly sorry for the shooting, but the 2nd Amendment says... and as President I'm sworn to uphold the Constitution... the price of freedom is an occasional nutjob...."

"SCREECH SCREECH SCREECH..." non stop from the communists.

"Folks alot smarter than alla you added the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution to give citizens the necessary means to keep tyrannical govt in check..." "Screech screech..."

If you were Trumps speech writer, what would he say?

GFY

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What percentage of legal gun owners shoot an innocent with their gun? Bet it's low, compared to the number of legal vehicle owners who crash into innocents with their vehicles. And vehicles are not even guaranteed by the Constitution. It sucks, but evil finds a way sometimes, be it firearms, bombs, planes, trucks, fire, poison, whatever..... but the infuriated will not want to hear that. How many more innocents would die at the hands of emboldened and illegally armed criminals each year if not for legal firearm ownership in this country? Thousands per year? More???

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know what I would like to say....

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The main thing I still remember from a risk communication course many years ago is that you can't use logical arguments to counter emotional issues. You have to package your message in a way that addresses the emotions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fireball2 you have brought up a very pertinent question. How do you counter emotional Issues? A friend of mine who is a very skilled negotiator told me his tactic is to ask questions of the other party. What do you suggest? How will that affect the problem? Are you aware that is already illegal? What is the definition of a criminal? How does one become a criminal?

These are a few examples. I am sure people can come up with more through the course of the conversation. Most people who are emotional about a subject are not going to change their mind. If you come up with some ideas please post them. I am interested also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree. Intelligent and probing questions can be very effective in dealing with folks strung out on emotion.

However, some people simply cannot begin to consider the possibility that their position is weak or wrong - and they will resort to sometimes nonsensical means in trying to overcome one who disagrees. Shouting, lying, interrupting, making stuff up, ignoring factual evidence, throwing tantrums etc. all can be part of their chosen behavior.

The appearance and feeling of personal triumph - no matter how ridiculous in actuality - is very important to such people. They have neither the intent nor ability to understand and acknowledge facts contrary to their position - rational thought and sensible argument are foreign to them.

There is a good bit of this going around these days, especially in politics and the media. Is there a "go fund me" account to support the cure?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got to find out what happened first.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just learn to control your emotions, man. This isn't the place to be working out your inner emotions, bro.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Chicago Carnage..........Sept. totals= 57 murdered, 273 shot, = 330 tot. , year to date= 501 murdered, 2,409 shot, 2910 tot. , where's the outrage?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cost of doing business in Chicago.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I'm not outraged

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only way to communicate with an emotional person is to first calm the persons emotions. Anyone who has managed to stay married has figured this one out.

With this subject, we start with what seems obvious to us, that we know this was a horrible tragedy that has touched each and every person in this country. Work through this and that point a common ground has been found.

Once the emotions are put at bay and common ground has been found, the discussion needs to go to what would drive a person to commit such a horrid crime. This needs to cover sources of anger, sources of hate, promotion of violence in the entertainment industry, problems with untreated mental illness, a society where people feel so distant from others that they dehumanize them, and on.

When you steer the conversation to the deep underlying issues and causes, you show the other side you really want to solve the problem, that you really care about the problem. Gun control will never be a part of the conversation because it will never be a part of the solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
458 Lott makes some good points.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We know what happened mtsnake. A multimillionaire real estate investor and gambler killed and wounded over 500 people. We don't know what was going through his mind.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If the answer is to ban guns after the recent shooting then they have to admit that banning Muslims is the answer to 9-11.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
I agree. Intelligent and probing questions can be very effective in dealing with folks strung out on emotion.

However, some people simply cannot begin to consider the possibility that their position is weak or wrong - and they will resort to sometimes nonsensical means in trying to overcome one who disagrees. Shouting, lying, interrupting, making stuff up, ignoring factual evidence, throwing tantrums etc. all can be part of their chosen behavior.

The appearance and feeling of personal triumph - no matter how ridiculous in actuality - is very important to such people. They have neither the intent nor ability to understand and acknowledge facts contrary to their position - rational thought and sensible argument are foreign to them.

There is a good bit of this going around these days, especially in politics and the media. Is there a "go fund me" account to support the cure?

Those questions usually lead to the liberal mantra "If it only saves one life, isn't it worth doing?"

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Erik, I agree that one often would get that reply. If a lib said that to me today in relation to gun laws and the LV shootings, I would most likely point to the info posted above about the ongoing and ongoing and ongoing shootings in Chicago.

"Chicago Carnage.....Sept. totals= 57 murdered, 273 shot, = 330 tot. , year to date= 501 murdered, 2,409 shot, 2910 tot. , where's the outrage?"

Then, noting that the vicious actions in LV were horrible, ask the lib why he/she is not ouraged that such carnage continues and continues in a Dem hole with strict firearms controls. In keeping with my OP, the above probably would be pushed aside by a lib - it is not an acceptable fact and must be ignored.

I have appreciated the observations/suggestions here about trying to get across to folks in a highly emotional state. I was not talking about that problem, but rather the challenge in dealing with folks who choose to live in constant self-induced delusion.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just sayin', I've helped a great many people control their emotions and see the light of reason.

Granted, usually it required a 2 second burst of O.C. in the mug.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44mc, 35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 16 invisible), 1,520 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,950
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.