Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
A comment was made on another thread that we should be thankful that idiot was using a bump fire stock as aimed fire would have been more effective. I tend to agree. This got me to thinking about what ammo he was using. I'll bet it was mil surplus stuff like green tip which I would guess would be less destructive than soft points or HPs. Won't stop the dumbazz politicians from banning the bump fire stocks and I'll bet mil surplus ammo is next.

So you think he would have been more effective with aimed fire in the same amount of time? I'd say the dispersement of bullets from the bumpfire system was quite affective and desirable for the intended use. Volume of fire and coverage area were maximized in the shortest amount of time. A packed crowd does not require precision.

As far as the bullets though, he probably did use some sort of FMJ, which would have reduced severity of injuries.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
A comment was made on another thread that we should be thankful that idiot was using a bump fire stock as aimed fire would have been more effective. I tend to agree. This got me to thinking about what ammo he was using. I'll bet it was mil surplus stuff like green tip which I would guess would be less destructive than soft points or HPs. Won't stop the dumbazz politicians from banning the bump fire stocks and I'll bet mil surplus ammo is next.

So you think he would have been more effective with aimed fire in the same amount of time? I'd say the dispersement of bullets from the bumpfire system was quite affective and desirable for the intended use. Volume of fire and coverage area were maximized in the shortest amount of time. A packed crowd does not require precision.

As far as the bullets though, he probably did use some sort of FMJ, which would have reduced severity of injuries.

Yes, I think aimed fire from a stable rest from rifles with good optics, firing softs or HPs, which were sighted in at 400-500 yds in the hands of someone who knew what he was doing would have killed more people. I think the shooter was a newbie to firearms and didn't know schitt about them which also leads me to believe he was a disgruntled Democrat trying to make a statement.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a guy at works brother is still carrying one of them around in his calf, its nestled up next to the artery, and his bone, doc said it might do more damage to take it out, he's getting a second opinion. make a helluva souvenir.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
According to various news reports today, He bought two thirds of his guns in October 2017. Prior to that it's likely he only had a few pistols and a couple of shotguns.

He was also reported to have had "military grade" ammo....what ever that mean.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes, I think aimed fire from a stable rest from rifles with good optics, firing softs or HPs, which were sighted in at 400-500 yds in the hands of someone who knew what he was doing would have killed more people. I think the shooter was a newbie to firearms and didn't know schitt about them which also leads me to believe he was a disgruntled Democrat trying to make a statement.

Wait, now you are completely changing the facts. I'm not talking about what a trained sniper might have done with his weapon of choice. Hell, for that matter an Apache pilot would have been more affective with his daily ride. For this guy, in this scenario, the spread from the bump stock was probably a plus. Certainly in the number wounded.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ammo, bolt/AR, bump stock....matters not when you are flock shooting.

I am betting he didnt do too much aiming at individuals, raining lead into a crowd and probably hitting 2 or 3 with each shot.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Wait, now you are completely changing the facts. I'm not talking about what a trained sniper might have done with his weapon of choice. Hell, for that matter an Apache pilot would have been more affective with his daily ride. For this guy, in this scenario, the spread from the bump stock was probably a plus. Certainly in the number wounded.

Not interested in an argument. Just saying the guy didn't know much about guns otherwise he would have done things differently if his aim was to kill as many innocents as possible.. Good thing for everyone he was fairly new to firearms.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
From a previous thread about the fuel tanks what if he had a 50 bmg with incenderary rounds could be a lot worse

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Of course someone trained could have done more damage.

And hauling tail? In a fenced area wiht restricted egress? Ever see some of the fire videos in crowded venues... they TRY to haul tail, they get jammed at the exits and en masse...

RE bullets, it may have been better in some ways if they were frangible, might have stopped in first body... but that body might have died for sure... instead of hitting multiples...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Reading through this thread all I can say it's a pretty poor line of commentary. It would make for quite a few dandy soundbites (or keybites) in the wrong hands. I know it's hard not to talk about how much we all know about "all things the rifle", but man.

Half the posts on the 'fire since Sunday involve tinfoil. Now start an internet debate of what an ineffective operator numb nuts was. Think it over fellas.

Hard to believe in the midst of a 'call for action' by the left there is discussion about the efficacy of green tip vs frangible and whether a bump-stock is better than a bolt action in skilled hands.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What a bunch of dumb [bleep]. Firing rapid fire at several thousand people all jammed together, you don't need to aim precisely.He could have closed his eyes and hit as many.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 63 invisible), 14,059 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,278
Posts18,545,082
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.