Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Is the creedmoor all it's cracked up to be as a hunting cartridge? Seems to have good ballistics with the slippery 6.5 bullets in a low recoiling rifle. Anybody have any hunting experience with the creedmoor?

HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My dad has been using his on hogs to great effect. While other rounds will accomplish the same objectives with the same results, the 6.5 Creed does seem to strike a nice balance between ballistics, power, and low recoil. I’ll be adding one to the safe at some point in the future.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you can figure out the search function and type Creedmoor in the search box, you will probably spend the next 30 days reading about the various and sundry creatures that members have been shooting with that cartridge. I am sure I remember reading a post in the General Big Game forum about a couple of guys using the Creedmoor on Antelope.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Ballistics with a 140gr bullet seem pretty impressive and close to 7mm-08, 308 and even a 270 and catches up quickly and passes them as distance gets further. Looks like it could be a real nice high country deer caliber. Might have to get a kimber Montana in 6.5 creedmoor to see if it can live up to
the hype.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a balanced chambering with mild recoil, an appropriate twist, and good factory support. It's not re-discovering the wheel, but it's more of a well-designed and readily-available wheel that was actually given the opportunity to succeed.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
If you can figure out the search function and type Creedmoor in the search box, you will probably spend the next 30 days reading about the various and sundry creatures that members have been shooting with that cartridge. I am sure I remember reading a post in the General Big Game forum about a couple of guys using the Creedmoor on Antelope.

He'll need to type Creedmore in as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alex38
My dad has been using his on hogs to great effect. While other rounds will accomplish the same objectives with the same results, the 6.5 Creed does seem to strike a nice balance between ballistics, power, and low recoil. I’ll be adding one to the safe at some point in the future.

There's nothing magic about it. Just a well designed cartridge from the start. On game performance won't be any better than any of the tried and true oldies.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've taken 2 pronghorn with it. It's become my favorite caliber for pronghorn and deer.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

He'll need to type Creedmore in as well.

No $hyte, we have some non spelling sumbeeches around here.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anything you would consider doing with a .243 Win, .257 Roberts, .260 Rem, 7mm-08 or similar cartridges, you could do equally well or better with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Anything you would consider doing with a .243 Win, .257 Roberts, .260 Rem, 7mm-08 or similar cartridges, you could do equally well or better with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Yep. Critters won't know the difference with a good bullet from one of these on the list in the right spot.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B

That's pretty much what I was thinking. For a lightweight, short action deer gun I'm not sure what would be better. And I think it should work just fine with a good shot and a well constructed bullet on an elk at ranges around 300 yards. But I got a 300wsm for elk anyways... I think I'm likin' me some creedmoor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thus far this year my 6.5 is up to 9 deer, 6 caribou, and a grizzly bear. Impressed with it and don't see going back to my tried and true .308 win that doesn't hit as hard passed 400 yards (with the bullets and load I was shooting) and only offers more recoil. Distances were mostly 120-500 on all but one of the 16 critter thus far. Most between 300-400 yards. One was WAY out there by my standards of way out there.

I was a skeptic and even this spring went back and forth with Form on here as I was die hard .308.....well I am eating crow now. wink

Hope to get atleast 1-2 more caribou under its belt prior to closing the year out.

Last edited by alaska_lanche; 10/09/17.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Thus far this year my 6.5 is up to 9 deer, 6 caribou, and a grizzly bear. Impressed with it and don't see going back to my tried and true .308 win that doesn't hit as hard passed 400 yards (with the bullets and load I was shooting) and only offers more recoil. Distances were mostly 120-500 on all but one of the 16 critter thus far. Most between 300-400 yards. One was WAY out there by my standards of way out there.

I was a skeptic and even this spring went back and forth with Form on here as I was die hard .308.....well I am eating crow now. wink

Hope to get atleast 1-2 more caribou under its belt prior to closing the year out.

You really shot a grizzly with a 6.5 creedmoor????

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the all time biggest black bears killed in Pennsylvania (close to 800 pounds) dropped like a stone from a 300 savage. Not sure Average size of a grizzly but I bet it's south of 800. I bet a creedmore would put a grizzly down handily.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brushbuster
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

You really shot a grizzly with a 6.5 creedmoor????

Yes sir. Well I didn't my buddy did. I have seen half a dozen grizzlies shot with a 308 and 1 even with a 243 so I wasn't too worried on the outcome.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Best sum's up the appeal and success of the 6.5 Creed.

Doc

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Is the creedmoor all it's cracked up to be as a hunting cartridge? Seems to have good ballistics with the slippery 6.5 bullets in a low recoiling rifle. Anybody have any hunting experience with the creedmoor?

It does exactly what the 6.5X55 swede has been doing for over 100 years now...☺

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

So true. I bought my first 6.5x55 about 5 years ago. I didn't realize launching a 140 grain 6.5 bullet at 2700 fps would be so cool 5 years later.

Scott
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

So true. I bought my first 6.5x55 about 5 years ago. I didn't realize launching a 140 grain 6.5 bullet at 2700 fps would be so cool 5 years later.

That said, how have you liked your 6.5x55 so far?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, BALLISTIK, 8 invisible), 1,280 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,234
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.