Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
yes I used a ohler conograph and my velocity was 4000 fps ,no its not in the reloading books. but remember I was shooting a ruger # 1 that is the strongest factory action made in the world and can handle a lot more powder. my 257 weatherby mag loads were tested by a reloading manufacture too by a ballistic expert sammi on it was 60,000 psi. and again yes it goes 4,000 fps that ammo manufacturer was impressed with my handloads too ,but I am not a beginner reloader and I have had a hunting partner for 20 years who was a ballistic expert on ammo and guns for 40 years, and friends who are machinists who build some of the best 1000yd bench rifles in the world that do win national titles too. go ahead and be negative but I know what happens when I hit animals with this weatherby 257 > I have also seen how animals run away that are shot with a little cartridges to die, my 257 has dropped whitetail bucks out to a measured 700 yards. >oh by the way when your hunting live animals that are moving you don`t have time to twist your turret up for elevation , I use reticles in my niteforce scopes not reticle sometimes its Kentucky quick windage if you want the shot. I might get a little more pain in the shoulder but my drags are much shorter and I don`t have to look for animals much when I pull the trigger on a big buck either that`s shot with my 257 weatherby mag in my #1 ruger. go back to your reloading books somehow you guys missed the part about 10 % more powder may be used in a ruger number 1 ,that`s 5-7 grains of powder more in this #1 action only and in order for me to burn that much more powder I needed a 27 inch barrel too and its with 100 gr.swift a-frame bullet, I used reloader powder its faster.

You must have magic brass to stand up to those pressures?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
HR IC

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Any factory rifles available in 6.5x284?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
yes I used a ohler conograph and my velocity was 4000 fps ,no its not in the reloading books. but remember I was shooting a ruger # 1 that is the strongest factory action made in the world and can handle a lot more powder. my 257 weatherby mag loads were tested by a reloading manufacture too by a ballistic expert sammi on it was 60,000 psi. and again yes it goes 4,000 fps that ammo manufacturer was impressed with my handloads too ,but I am not a beginner reloader and I have had a hunting partner for 20 years who was a ballistic expert on ammo and guns for 40 years, and friends who are machinists who build some of the best 1000yd bench rifles in the world that do win national titles too. go ahead and be negative but I know what happens when I hit animals with this weatherby 257 > I have also seen how animals run away that are shot with a little cartridges to die, my 257 has dropped whitetail bucks out to a measured 700 yards. >oh by the way when your hunting live animals that are moving you don`t have time to twist your turret up for elevation , I use reticles in my niteforce scopes not reticle sometimes its Kentucky quick windage if you want the shot. I might get a little more pain in the shoulder but my drags are much shorter and I don`t have to look for animals much when I pull the trigger on a big buck either that`s shot with my 257 weatherby mag in my #1 ruger. go back to your reloading books somehow you guys missed the part about 10 % more powder may be used in a ruger number 1 ,that`s 5-7 grains of powder more in this #1 action only and in order for me to burn that much more powder I needed a 27 inch barrel too and its with 100 gr.swift a-frame bullet, I used reloader powder its faster.
...............................Very interesting.....I don't doubt your post or the capability of the #1 strong action...... However, and at least in the reloading manuals that I have, there are no extra notes or references which state that Ruger #1s can be loaded an extra 10% above the published maximum loadings.

Appreciate it if you would pass along which reloading manuals state that Ruger #1s can be loaded an extra 10%.....................Thanks

I do remember one loading manual that had hotter 45-70 loads for a Ruger #1. But this is the his time that I have ever heard that the Ruger#1 is the strongest action in the world.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brushbuster

Savage did at one time. I have one in lefty.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Not really interested in a 257 bee. Although I see the merit in a light, fast bullet I think the high bc 140gr 6.5s would be a better choice as a short action hunting rifle for my use. Light recoil and plenty of power with good wind deflection. Really leaning towards a kimber Montana. Although if I wanted to step up to standard action a 280ai seems pretty interesting...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Starting from scratch, I can't see owning anything but a Barret Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM, Talley LW's, and a M8 6x42/M1....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by irfubar

You must have magic brass to stand up to those pressures?

Apparently you have to give up your ability to use paragraphs to hit that magic 4000fps .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cooper, but I'm not sure they count as factory. I only know that because there is one at the Scheels in Sioux City that I ogle every time I am in there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cooper, but I'm not sure they count as factory. I only know that because there is one at the Scheels in Sioux City that I ogle every time I am in there. Savage does also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
Is the creedmoor all it's cracked up to be as a hunting cartridge? Seems to have good ballistics with the slippery 6.5 bullets in a low recoiling rifle. Anybody have any hunting experience with the creedmoor?

It does exactly what the 6.5X55 swede has been doing for over 100 years now...☺

Trystan

That's not exactly true, for a couple reasons.

The first is historical. The 6.5x55 was introduced with a long, heavy, round nose bullet. Not exactly the kind of higher B.C. bullets the 6.5CM shooters prefer. It wan't until 1941 that the Swedes adopted a spire point bullet.

The second is the pressure limits are substantially different, which affects maximum velocity. The Swedish ammo is rated for at 51,000 PSI while the Creedmoor is at 62,000PSI.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Is the swede a short action caliber like the creedmoor? It seems like the creedmoor sends 140gr bullets around 2700fps, is there really any noticeable difference between the two when handloading?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
No - the Swede is a 'Mauser' length cartridge, too long for a short action but works in the intermediate length Mauser or long actions. Loaded to the same pressure levels, the Swede should give a little more than the CM. At industry established pressure levels for each cartridge, velocities will be similar.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for the great answer. Loving the responses you guys are giving me. Smart and helpful people on the campfire!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How did anyone ever manage to shoot anything before the Creedmore came along? smirk

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
How did anyone ever manage to shoot anything before the Creedmore came along? smirk

The influence of the internet, for better or worse, at work?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JGray
No - the Swede is a 'Mauser' length cartridge, too long for a short action but works in the intermediate length Mauser or long actions. Loaded to the same pressure levels, the Swede should give a little more than the CM. At industry established pressure levels for each cartridge, velocities will be similar.

Is the Swede brass fine at higher pressure and only traditionally loaded to lesser pressures because of older actions? Assuming then that higher pressures should be fine in a modern rifle?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now there's the 6.5 PRC. The 6.5 Creedmoor is sooooo yesterday.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 6.5 Creedmoor is not a panacea. It won't do more than the 6.5x55 or the .260 Rem. It is just a well designed cartridge that will fit in a short action and has good ballistics. It is easy to load for and will make up into a great hunting rifle that has relatively light recoil. It enjoys great factory support and as time passes more people are realizing it's virtues.

Like Jack O'Connor opined years ago, people tend to shoot lighter recoiling rifles better because they not getting belted so hard. Everyone has their favorite medicine for hunting and that's a good thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sure would be sweet in a Rem 700 Mtn rifle, or rebarreled Model 7 with a 22" mtn profile bbl.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sycamore
sure would be sweet in a Rem 700 Mtn rifle, or rebarreled Model 7 with a 22" mtn profile bbl.

Sycamore

Would be outstanding in a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. I can't think of a more perfect pairing.

If they'd do that and maybe an EW in 24" barrel, I'd be happy. Deer, pronghorn and elk (and the occasional coyote) would not.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 10/28/17.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.