Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Merino wool socks are great, I have a couple of pair of Smartwool brand.

Just joined the club also... Really nice on a cold morning.

Originally Posted by Darren_V
Gotta be the Garmin Inreach. Great piece of kit!

My wife just bought me one of these for a wilderness hunt. Pretty useful I would say, even for just tooling around in the back country where the cell does not work. I tested it the past week and its fairly live time.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Not new, but the land ownership chip in the GPS is so useful I wonder how I got along w/o it.

I have had one for several years, but the wife bought one with the Inreach

NRA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many great ideas here!

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by johnw
Optics, clothing, electronics or whatever. What is the best thing you found this year for your outdoor stuff?

And a 22" walkstool. Walkstool
Always in the truck and even carried places I wouldn't carry any other seat.
And very comfortable...

You can drill extra holes in the Walkstool legs and make it even more adjustable for height and mainly for uneven ground. With multiple holes you can adjust one leg shorter and make the seat level on steep ground. I modified my Walkstool with extra holes to fit sloping ground on long predator calling stands. I keep intending to put a spike at the bottom end of each leg so it will bite into wet wood and frozen ground. I've tried a half dozen three legged stool over the years and the Walkstool is the best IME. I have the taller one, 26" I think.

Okanagan & johnw:

Thanks for posting this! You made me curious, so I looked the Walkstool up.

Weighs only 1.76 pounds, and is rated to hold 495 pounds! It is designed and made right here in Sweden and not bloody China!

I think I will have to buy one of these just to admire the engineering. Perhaps I will get a fat woman to sit on my lap for testing so I can report back! eek grin

I also found that the company sells replacement parts very reasonably too, so if said woman is a little too heavy I can replace any damaged part. laugh

John

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I was wanting something to keep my feet dry and was having no luck sealing my old leather boots. Rubber boots tend to be on the HEAVY side. I searched on Amazon and found "Tingley Men's Ultra Lightweight Snow Boot" for under $50 and have been very pleased. They are truly Ultra-Light. I've had them a little over a year and probably worn them about 35 to 50 times for a few hours each time. They appear to be made with material similar to what Crocs are made of and so far are holding up really well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bought a Sitka Duck oven jacket after last season, used off a guy who wanted the new camo pattern. What a jacket. Used it in MT when glassing last week and was very impressed. Can't wait to use it for duck season.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm likin' these Muck shoes,....had 'em on all day.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Fiskars X27 splitting axe

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bought the Swarovski 10x25 CL pocket binos before my Montana trip a couple weeks ago. Very impressed.
Really clear and a great size. This was an upgrade from the 8x20 Leica pocket model I’ve been using. I like to carry them when I’m out chasing birds.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Outdoor edge razorlite EDC knife, it's the havalon style "knockoff" knife with replaceable blades. Went out for youth rifle with a bunch of kids and didn't have my normal gear along. I had just purchased this item on a whim. Ended up gutting skinning and quartering 3 deer. The knife was awesome, stayed sharp. When I got home, I just put a new blade on it and "boom" this thing is ready to go again.

Prana Zion pants. Would like to try the kuiu attacks, since everybody talks about them also, but I just wore these in a back country hunt and loved them.

Would you like to just keep explaining the problem or do you want the solution?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Fiskars X27 splitting axe

And for the tougher stuff Fiskar has an 8 lb splitting maul now.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vortex Viper HD 8x42 field glasses - much lighter than my old field glasses and clear/bright. Not this year, probably five or six years now, but Muck boots have pretty much replaced leather boots for me in eastern NC hunting.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
SItka core light weight hoody

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/whitetail/new/core-light-weight-hoody

Has a built in hood and face mask bascilly three pieces of gear built into one.

Been using it during bow season this year and I highly reccomend it.

If God can get by on 10%, why does the government need 90%
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bestop Supertop cap for my F150. Now has several road trips on it. Handled hours of 80 mph highway, lots of 2 tracks thru heavy overhangs, and my truck bed remains dry. Takes about 5 minutes to fold into nose of bed. About a quarter of the price of a hard cap, ditto for weight.
Have enjoyed looking over this series of posting! May even have learned something.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OnX hunt app:

shows all lands and who owns them. Many of our dove hunting spots are a mix of lands, nice to know where I am. We even found some BLM lands in the middle of state trust lands. BLM allows target shooting while State doesn't. Fun to look at the houses on my street and see who is the real owner.

-----------------------------------

I like a slim knife when I bird hunt:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/GB...nife-plain-blade-stainless-steel-handles

-------------------------------------
+1 on the Leica bino/rangefinder

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jpb

I also found that the company sells replacement parts very reasonably too, so if said woman is a little too heavy I can replace any damaged part. laugh

John

Was in Goteborg this Summer. Never saw a single Swedish woman that was too heavy.

Did not know that the company also made prosthetics.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All of you who think your clothing is the best ever I have news for you. It is a distant second. the best piece of clothing ever invented is yoga pants....

Another vote for the OnX app for your phone. Game changer.

Sitka timberline pants and kelvin series.

Schnees boots.

Leupold products just plain work as intended.

And how about a vote for Mountain House. Sure, a person can get tired of it, but by golly, for freeze dried food on a mountain in a snowstorm, they are pretty darn good!

Wapiti River elk calls rock!

Clip-Shot has changed how I take photos and improved my pictures immensely. Look them up.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
> Kathoula Micro Spikes

> Leica 2000-B Range Finder

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Based on what I've seen from others, I'm buying a havalon knife to throw in the pack.

Thumbs up for onX here also.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Based on what I've seen from others, I'm buying a havalon knife to throw in the pack.

Might want to look at the Gerber version as well. Uses the same blades, but changing them seems a bit easier/safer. Also, but the #60 or #70 blades. The bit extra length comes in handy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Might want to look at the Gerber version as well. Uses the same blades, but changing them seems a bit easier/safer. Also, but the #60 or #70 blades. The bit extra length comes in handy.

Will do. Thanks for the heads-up.

Montana MOFO
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (7887mm08, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.