Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So I am working an on 80 year old Savage 45 for a friend who says it can't hit paper at 100 yds. I found the bell of the scope was touching the folded front site. The height adjustments appear to have been backed all the way out. I turned them until I began to feel clicks again. What I don't know is where I am at on the total adjustment scale. Is there anyway to know when you are back at , lets call it, factory zero , on adjustments or is it just going to be shoot and click until I get it near?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You know can use a mirror to center the reticle? Place a mirror flush against the objective lens. Looking through the ocular you'll see two reticles. Simply adjust the scope until you see only one and your centered.

Last edited by EZEARL; 10/11/17.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks- I will give it a try. Should put me at a good starting point.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I figured out I wanted the reticle centered in the scope tube, and rotated the scope when only in the two bottom halves of the rings. Then I adjusted until the crosshairs stayed on the same target.

Then after years I found out other people did it too, and with a mirror. The mirror works better with most scopes. To do it on a rifle, you need a mirror with a thinner border than the barrel to scope objective clearance.

The nicest way to zero scope adjustment range on the rifle is with a Leupold zero point magnetically attached to the muzzle.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Damn Clark. Forgot I even had one of those. Doi ! I haven't used it in forever. It seems zero on that thing is always actually not exactly centered but a little low and to the left on the centered ring. I will give it a try as a starting place. Thanks for the good stuff gents.

. Confucius
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EZEARL
You know can use a mirror to center the reticle? Place a mirror flush against the objective lens. Looking through the ocular you'll see two reticles. Simply adjust the scope until you see only one and your centered.

that's a pretty nifty recommendation Earl!

That is the kind of stuff that one use to be able to come to the campfire and get...

Thanks!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Your welcome. But I definitely can't take credit for developing the procedure. And I don't know who to give the credit to. It's been stuck to the side of my gun safe for too long to remember.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was going to try that mirror method but I found my Leupy magnetic which showed crosshairs low and way to the right. I centered to a point other scopes I have seem to agree on, then asked the owner if he had been shooting high and left and he said definitely. Hopefully I am close.

I finished the refinish- except for a wax job, and have it all back together and seeming to function. 70 year old rifle, not even Savage has a manual for it, so I am just happy I have no spare parts left over! :-o

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,827
Posts18,496,581
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.