Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
You went into the military to protect your country, you had faith in the politicians you elected, you could take your vehicle to the mechanic without taking up the tailpipe, the newspapers and the reporters on TV reported the news. not their take and embellishment on it, men and women got married, people went to church on Sunday, Political correctness was a phrase you never heard, people went to work and earned their living, kids in school answered to their father if they screwed up. Where did it go wrong???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dealey Plaza.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Dealey Plaza.

Yep,big changes after that............

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Seems like it's been a while, huh? grin
Fortunately, Wifey and I live out in "the sticks" where most of it is still normal.
Politicians have always been corrupt, or at least open to corruption. Newspapers and later TV reporters have always put their slant on the news, although now it's done openly.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
think it started before JFK's last ride

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Do you not remember duck and cover when we were going to survive nuclear war by hiding under our school desks?

When black folks couldn’t eat in the same restaurants, could only sit in the balcony in theaters and were lynched if they got too uppity?

When girls who got into “trouble” were sent away for a year, came back much changed and sad? No one talked about what happened but everybody knew...

I am 70 years old but don’t want to live in a mythical romantic past that never existed. I want to live with my kids and grandkids in a dynamic, exciting future that will be and is amazing.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not really. Born in '69.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm old enough to remember. Almost everything was closed on Sunday. In my small town, only one gas station and one pharmacy was open. The exception was motels and Dairy Queen was open on Sunday afternoon.

In 1960 50% of people attended church at least twice a week. Divorce was rare, in all races. 85% of people had health care. 5% or less were unemployed and thus didn't have health care. The rest were usually poor farm workers, or self employed who didn't buy it. We didn't have welfare. Families took care of their elderly or disabled family members, if not, churches and charities did.

Even FDR in the 1930's refused to pay welfare, he said people needed jobs, so he started the jobs programs. He said people getting checks would loose the work ethic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was born in '65. I don't remember any duck and cover drills, and segregation was a thing of the past as far as restaurants. I was fortunate enough to be born and raised in a pretty rural area of PA. By the time I graduated, there were 3 Black students in my district, all in jr high and from the same family.
I honestly never knew any blacks personally until I joined the military. I never had a racist thought Until our last President made race such a large part of our society!
But I have always read a good bit of American history. There's been SOBs in politics since before the revolution, and likewise with the press.
Being out here in "fly over country" definitely has it's perks. Gotta drive further for work or groceries and such, but I can burn through ammo from the back deck!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Not really. Born in '69.

I graduated HS in 68.

God I wish I could muster up a chit. frown

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blanket
You went into the military to protect your country, you had faith in the politicians you elected, you could take your vehicle to the mechanic without taking up the tailpipe, the newspapers and the reporters on TV reported the news. not their take and embellishment on it, men and women got married, people went to church on Sunday, Political correctness was a phrase you never heard, people went to work and earned their living, kids in school answered to their father if they screwed up. Where did it go wrong???

1962-63. God was kicked out of school

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Blanket has it right

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Not the school I attended!

Parochial

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When NEWS was turned over to the entertainment division of the big three networks.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That time is long gone. Embrace the future and learn!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
That time is long gone. Embrace the future and learn!

Embrace the future, remember the past and teach the things we learned at a time when life was simpler for most but harder for many.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When NEWS was turned over to the entertainment division of the big three networks.

Yeah, back in the day, the news was not expected to make a profit, just draw in TV watchers. Their reporting on the Vietnam war was a big turning point. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It might be like asking which stick is the most important in a beaver dam.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wasn't long after Hiroshima stopped glowing as best I can figure. That was a bit before my time. Korea set a precedent in the sense of how it was fought which was the antithesis of what we did in WW2. It's been pretty much downhill since. I do recall the period around '54-'60 as mostly pleasant, but was too young to recognize what was developing in SE Asia.

I was kinda fond of .23/gallon gas too.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I don't believe most ever had faith in politicians, unless it's faith we will get screwed by them.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,124
Posts18,502,421
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.