Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Bill

Really sorry to read about this. I learned a lot hunting out of the same camp as you last year and had a lot of fun. Good luck on your spring bear hunt if you go.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very sorry to hear this.
I know most of us look forward to our elk hunt all year long.
You have always seemed to be a good guy who has paid your dues to acquire your elk hunting knowledge and skill.
I really hope that you can salvage a few days hunting on your tags, even though it probably won't be anything near as good as what you had planned.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I live in western Washington, where you don't leave a pencil in your car if you ever want to see it again.

But taking the whole damned truck? That's a new one.

I hope you guys recover your gear and get to hunt this year.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know why you waited to post this tragic theft in route to your elk hunt...you were likely a ranging lunatic with anger. I would have been.

Since the crack head was caught any chance of finding your guns and stuff?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hate to hear this. I hope everything works out the best it can.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think we all can imagine your pain. They stole an event from you that is truly important and irreplaceable. We spend a lot of nights in motels and this is a nightmare that could happen to anyone. Your gear is replaceable but I would bet that every item was chosen and tested to match your personal preference and is covered w/ fond memories.

I will usually pick a lesser motel at which I can park right in front of my door, not as nice or a complete solution but I can bring my guns inside. Good luck w/ your insurance co. Another victimless drug related crime. Now get you a big bear.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Since all the newer vehicles are supposed to be fairly theft proof I'm sure you have wondered and/or found out what exactly made the truck vulnerable. Any insight you can give on how the thieves managed to get in and drive off? Or was a wrecker or hauler involved?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Brad! I haven't heard from you guys and wondering how you and Bob were making out. Drop me a PM to catch up.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
shoot - I have no idea, except to say Ford F250 diesels seem to be a target in/around Kansas City for some reason.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Truly sorry about your experience, take comfort in knowing they are only things that can be replaced and that no one was hurt during all this.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Bill I'm so sorry to hear about this. One of my great fears when I head west, people are waiting and looking for rigs that have "the look". I had friends that stopped at a Wendy's on the way to Wyoming (in Kansas) one was a former LEO and he sat in a booth watching the van the were taking. Someone slipped in on the blind side and took all of their guns and most of the optics. There is no way you can be careful enough but on the last few runs I sleep in my truck even if others are with me and they stay in a motel. It's unhandy and uncomfortable but has worked so far.

Anyway, if you need a scope I have a Leupold 4.5-14x42 with a B&C reticle you can borrow until you get straightened out. I'll even ship it to you for free, just let me know. Sorry you lost your gear and your hunt, no comfort but it could have been so much worse. Glad you're ok, more hunts to come.

PM me for details if you need them. David

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks David. We canceled the hunt so don't have an immediate need. I'm chewing on options now. If I need a scope, I'll give you a ring. Thank you.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
sorry to hear that - I live in Kansas City and there are some bad spots like in most big cities.

Hope things go smoother soon

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sad deal. I have a question for you about this. Was there anything about the truck that revealed you were hunters? Specifically, stickers like I see on the back windows, etc. My wife is a nut about not putting any kind of stickers on the rig that would indicate we're gun owners, hunters etc. She says it makes us a target. I agree, although I have no idea how a thief thinks so who knows?

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootem
Since all the newer vehicles are supposed to be fairly theft proof I'm sure you have wondered and/or found out what exactly made the truck vulnerable. Any insight you can give on how the thieves managed to get in and drive off? Or was a wrecker or hauler involved?

There is a huge bunch of this stuff going on here now and in talking to folks that know the new stuff is probably easier to sell. One guy had his truck stolen and they had it on video... in and driving away in under 150 seconds. Centerpunch in the door lock, one hammer swing... Drill in the key slot, drop the guts, wiggle, and gone...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Oh man I know I'd be sick for weeks!

I try to stay at a hotel where the doors open to the outside and discretely take my guns inside. If it's a hotel with a central hallway, i'll bring them in through a side or door at the end of the hall. Outside entry isn't quite as safe but I block the door and always have a sidearm at hand.

When I pack I try to make sure nothing that is hunter orange is visible. When I'm through packing the vehicle I cover everything with a couple of dark blankets.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They don't even need to touch the truck, when you leave your vehicle and you activate the remote to lock it , there is a device the crooks have that traps the code, they turn around and unlock your vehicle 1 2 3. They have to be pretty close to the vehicle in order to do this .

I went to alabama a few years ago and the front desk told me no guns were allowed. I told him that I would not be checking in and wondered how they could do that in a hunter friendly state like Alabama . I found another hotel nearby that allowed guns. I take everything in the room with me everything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters

The thing that pisses me off the most is not the missing stuff, after all its only stuff (BTW: replacement value on my list is currently at $12,690.48 using lowest prices I can find), but the fact that I can't go elk hunting this year. I look forward to elk hunting every year; it is the highlight of my year. We planned this hunt for 12 months. I have 100's hours of phone calls, map/Google review, planning. Plus I literally had 90+% of all my backpacking and hunting stuff in that truck. I literally don't have a pair of boots to hunt in. I have 2 viable guns in the safe - one with no scope, the other is a 257 Robts. I'm starting from scratch - years of gear, refinements, tweaks - gone because of 1 crackhead.

That sucks like no story I have read since my buddy from Missoula had the same thing happen in BC while traveling to AK last month.

If you had planned on hunting near Bozeman, I have spares, duplicates, even triplicates, of anything an elk hunt would require. I would gladly arrange for them to be available for your use, even if I was on the road, in the event you intend to salvage your cherished elk hunt that a crackhead now ruined. I have rifles dialed in, ammo, packs, Sitka Gear, coolers, knives, game bags, etc.

PM if that is a possibility for you.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow. Hate to hear this.

Lesson(s) learned. Also, this isn't entirely preventable.Especially if travelling alone. You have to stop to use the toilet eventually. Could happen to anyone.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bwinters-

That really sucks.

On one hand it is "just stuff". On the other is it a lost hunt with all the memories you would have had.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 1moredeer, 204guy, 66 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,851
Posts18,496,993
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.