Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 38 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 37 38
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I dunno how many years I was in communication with Greg, quite a lot, I forget how many times he insulted me. He never did insult my family or my wife or even hint at that, which sort of insults I have learned on this board are about the only insults which anger me. Sometimes we was congenial, some times he weren't, but like most of the regulars here he was something like family.

I did look up the last direct exchange between us, 9/4/17 when that guy ran into the Burning Man fire and died.....

Me.....

"The guy was 41 and married, and had the means to fly back from Switzerland for the eclipse, and was apparently in good physical shape.. It is a mystery to me how lives can go so wrong."

Greg.....

Being married, with "means" has absolutely no thermal insulating, or reflective properties.

GTC

grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Remarkably well done Ed, thank you for the insights. Learned a thing or three from that. Did not know he was a jarhead in times last. Don't recall ever meeting one I didn't get along with.

Greg seldom spoke of his past in detail with me. Brief reference from time to time then moved on.

Dan

Two major wars he had going on here on the 'Fire, one was because someone accused him of being a draft-dodger, the other one accused him of being a racist xenophobe who just wanted to kill Mexicans.

Two things he most certainly was not.

As I posted above, Greg was no angel. He was a real, live human being with all of our faults, foibles, and mistakes. His positives so far outweighed his negatives that it is hard for me to understand how anyone could hate him, I guess that's because he never tooted his own horn, but he certainly had enough material to employ a full orchestra.

Ed

Greg had no problem telling you in no uncertain terms if he thought you were wrong. Whether you were a friend or not... smile

I was friends with him, but felt his flames a few times. He didn't hold back... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ed, thanks for posting that video. And thanks for the excellent writeup.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Beautiful words Ed and a very tearful thank you for some insight into a man that I admired. We are diminished by the loss of Greg but with men like you here I’ll be sticking around a little longer. That previous post would make a fine obituary and I’ll chip in to make sure that it gets printed, the world should know that it lost a good man and that he had friends that cared. I saw his soft side from time to time and especially as it related to Greg doting on his mom. His love and respect for his mom told me what I needed to know about the man I just wish I could’ve known him better. We exchanged pm’s through the years as it related to his mom or other shared interests and his rough edges only endeared me to him that much more.

I know that Greg would be damn proud to see the love and concern from folks all over this country for a man that many of us never met. That speaks volumes about not just Greg but also to the goodness of the men on this website, men that I am proud to be associated with.

Please let me know what I can do on my end, any donations needed to ensure that he and Gracie can be together and any services that may be held in his honor.

Thanks to all of you that have taken on this solemn duty, you have my eternal respect for your efforts and if I can help please let me know.

Best regards, Bill

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It's a true measure of a man to have his peers remember him well.

I never had the privilege to meet Greg, I did however exchange a number of PM's with him.

They began with him offering parts for a Sharps 1875 that I owned.

Our conversations ranged from Sharps and other single shot rifles,cartridges from long ago and Western Canada.

Skeeter once wrote Good Guns, Good Whiskey, Good Friends

Adios Greg and Gracie

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I do not talk much on this site and did not know Greg. I just wanted to point out that it was not Lee Shaver that shot the first 10 in a row chickens in BPCR. I believe that the fellow that did that was from down in southern Arizona. His name escapes at the moment.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have been pleased to have corresponded with Greg quite a bit over the years and I feel a better man to have been friends--albeit in a cyber sense, having never net the man in person-- with Greg. As many here have written, the man didn't suffer fools well and before Greg and I became friends there was some measure of nastiness between us. One evening in particular years ago we butted heads together on an exchange here on the forum, and it got fairly close to morphing into something kind of ugly. By the night's end before signing off I had a hunch he was just as half-shytfaced as I was and so I took a shot in the dark and asked for and got his number via PM. I called him and in a few minutes we were cracking up. That was the end of the nastiness betwixt us. From about that time forward he liked to refer to me as the 'inscrutable one'. I in turn called him 'El Jefe'.

I was on a small email cc list of his, and he would occasionally pass on something he thought was neat, something he was working on or was otherwise deemed by him to be interesting to the small group. I would sometimes do the same. Last year some time he wrote to the group and described having made a custom firearm component from scratch with high-end materials that he had been consigned to make for a customer on the word of the customer that payment for materials and labor would be passed along in full upon completion of the project. Well, that didn't happen and the customer essentially screwed Greg. Greg, naturally, was livid. He described what it was, and offered it to the group for what he had into it for materials only. Now, truth be told I had no use for the thing but being a guy who can appreciate finely made things, things put together by someone passionate about what they were doing and whose hands and skills literally brought it to life, well, I told him to box it up and where to send it, and told him that I'd get payment out to him directly, just as soon as I got his address. When he had received the payment, he could ship.

Well, it turns out the guy trusted me at my word, as the day after I sent payment the thing arrived at my home. This of course before the payment got to him. I was, and am thrilled at owning something so well made, and made literally from scratch. Every so often I'll remember I own it, who made it and where it was born. I'll got into my study, pull it out of the drawer it lives in and unwrap it, and fondle it's smoothness and marvel at the skill required to make sure a fine thing to such precise tolerances and strength. Greg contacted me a couple days later when my payment arrived, and thanked me far too many times for it. When I went to send the payment (no [bleep] checks, CASH ONLY if you please! wink ) I'd decided that giving a man money only for the material cost he had into it was dead wrong, and even though I never said anything about it when I agreed to buy it, had sent him about double what he had in it in terms of materials cost. Still, in hindsight I came out was ahead on that deal, as I have something that came from the hands and head and heart of a man I respected, enjoyed engaging with and learning something from virtually every time I interacted with him.

I'm sorry as hell Roger and I didn't get out to share a fire with you, but perhaps some day we will still, in another place. Give 'em hell, Jefe.

Your Inscrutable friend,

LNH

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I wish I had known him, he sounds like the kind of man you'd be proud to have him call you friend. P

I'll try to put a little light on Greg for those who never had the honor and pleasure of knowing him, but before I begin, I ask that other who knew him would chime in and add and/or correct anything I write here. Time does funny things to memory, and it doesn't help that there were times Greg and I were talking that we both were sampling processed grains.

Greg was born in 1947 to a Merchant Marine who had been awarded the Legion of Merit for his actions as a Lt. Cmdr. in the U.S. Navy. Keep in mind that, as of this date, there have only been 248 Legion of Merits awarded since the founding of this nation. In order to be awarded the LOM, one has to have acted in such a way as to have had a material impact on the outcome of a war. Not a firefight, skirmish, or even a battle, but a war. That's the kind of household he was brought up in.
Greg's Dad became a Merchant Marine after being discharged from the Navy after the war, Captaining freighters all over the Pacific. Greg grew up on a ship.

When Greg turned 17, he enlisted in the Marines and served four years including a tour in Viet Nam, which I only knew him once to speak about and that seemed to bring back some real stress, so it was not pursued.

Once out of the Marines, he headed north to Alberta, Canada and became a cowboy. There, he was in place for the beginnings of the oil exploration boom and went to work in the oil fields. Greg started out as a Floorhand and there, he learned to weld and to do machine work from some real savvy old men., soon becoming a rig mechanic. Greg did well enough that he eventually became a Toolpusher, working for a number of Wildcatters.

Greg also became a blaster or "powder monkey", skilled enough that he was contracted to do that cabin explosion for the movie "Death Hunt".

Greg left the oil fields for a while, buying and running a small gas station. I am guessing that wasn't enough for Greg as he took a job offer that would forever change his life and outlook on life.
This was during the time when Mexico was experiencing a huge growth in oil production and other Central American countries were also trying to get in to the game.

Greg was approached by a small group of Wildcatters who contracted him to go to Central America and set up Wildcat rigs and train the locals how to set them up and successfully run them. Greg traveled all over Central America for the next six years, selecting, hiring and training locals to do just that. Keep in mind that Greg spoke damned near no Spanish when he first started that job!
Some of the photos Greg showed me of the rigs and their locations down there are just amazing. Talk about some difficult terrain!

Greg fell in love with the culture and people of Central America, but remained fiercely loyal to America, so he settled for the best of both worlds, living roughly six miles from the Mexican Border.

Greg applied his machine and welding skills, running a shop from the place he built out of nothing SE of Sierra Vista, AZ. He also became a board member of the Sierra Vista Shooting Range where he traveled to Phoenix to lobby (successfully) the Dept of Game and Fish for grant funding for that public facility.

Greg, being a Marine (rifleman first!), got into the BPCR world by way of doing some custom work on a couple of old Sharps rifles for customers of his. As one would expect, he was as meticulous about the BPCR world as he was everything else in his life. Not getting rich at his small machine shop, he learned to create accurate rifles from genuine old Sharps and Remington Roling Block rifles. He also learned to restore Schuetzen rifles and their accessories.

He drew the admiration and appreciation of the top BPCR shooters in the country for not only his rifle building skills, but his shooting and spotting skills. He ws spotting for Lee Shavers the day that Lee became the first BPCR competitor to clean all of the chickens at a registered match. This has only been done twice in the history of BPCR competition.

For a time, Greg also wrote a column in the "Single Shot Exchange" on the subjects of BPCR and Schuetzen rifles.

Greg competed with is own creation, a "Badgersoli", an 1874 Sharps clone made of an early Pedersoli action and a Badger barrel, with accurizing of the action and making a new stock. The last time I was at Greg's, he showed me a Badgersoli that he was building for a customer that was a thing of beauty, with AAA exhibition wood, deeply engraved action, and that was headed to have the action case-hardened by Doug Turnbull.

Not content with just wood and steel, Greg created a small oasis out of his acreage SW of Sierra Vista, planting fruit trees and growing a spineless Blackberry cultivar that was amazing in it's productivity and the size and flavor of it's fruit. He also cultivated a vegetable garden, using minimal water techniques and raised meat rabbits for food and for their manure, which was his favorite garden fertilizer.

Greg, ever interested in the environment he lived in, became very active in water issues, using his knowledge of state government, he lobbied the Department of Agriculture to preserve the aquifers in AZ for the use of AZ residents and not sell the water to the State of California.

Greg was no angel, by any stretch of the imagination, but he was an honest, straightforward man who gave his word and kept it, expecting others to do the same.

Most folks have no idea how much pain Greg lived with every day. His knees and his hips were bone-on-bone, but he was too proud and self-reliant to ask for help. Some faulted him for his drinking, but that was his way of continuing to function. Right or wrong, that's the reason.

He was gruff, abrupt, short-tempered, and had little patience for stupidity (expressed or implied), was quick to judge, but could, and did, change his mind when given all the facts, he was extremely loyal, generous, and considerate.

He lived that life expressed by Theodore Roosevelt; "For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know."

He was a sort of a Renaissance Man as he was an artist in wood and steel, he was a great machinist and welder, he could design and build almost anything he could imagine, he was very well read, multi-lingual, (speaking both smokeless and black powder), and was an animal lover.

He truly was a Western Character, full of life and energy, fixed in his code of honor and beliefs, a good man to have with you in a tight spot, fearless and confident, and one of the finest men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. To be considered a friend of his was an honor.

As noted by other good folks here, we are diminished.

Rest in Peace, my friend, I'll see you on the other side.

Ed

Thank you Ed, your efforts to tell us about Greg's life are much appreciated.
Like many, I've had my azz scorched by Greg, but he was right most of the time.
He and I PM'd a little, and the most telling thing was when he related how he thought he could have been friends with Hunter1960, and he was saddened by his passing.

RIP Greg Cameron.
The fire is a smaller place.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ed,
Thank you.
slave

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I Pmed with Cross a few times, been tracking shot deer all day, lost one and found one about half in the bag, my choise tho! I cant get him out of my mind always wanted to meet the man, same with M. Colman I have to tip My hat to leighton sorry spelling not that good Brother, another I like to buy a drink for! as Inter net folks we tend to become friends, Im bad for meeting a person and in 5 mins i know wheather I like em or Hate em! Kinda Hard on the net! I feel like I lost a best buddie! booze talking but I think some know what I mean! Dam I hope to meet some of you fro the SW one day, limited income, tho! God Bless the USA!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mjs3240
I do not talk much on this site and did not know Greg. I just wanted to point out that it was not Lee Shaver that shot the first 10 in a row chickens in BPCR. I believe that the fellow that did that was from down in southern Arizona. His name escapes at the moment.

Ron Calderone

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Remarkably well done Ed, thank you for the insights. Learned a thing or three from that. Did not know he was a jarhead in times last. Don't recall ever meeting one I didn't get along with.

Greg seldom spoke of his past in detail with me. Brief reference from time to time then moved on.

Dan

Two major wars he had going on here on the 'Fire, one was because someone accused him of being a draft-dodger, the other one accused him of being a racist xenophobe who just wanted to kill Mexicans.

Two things he most certainly was not.

As I posted above, Greg was no angel. He was a real, live human being with all of our faults, foibles, and mistakes. His positives so far outweighed his negatives that it is hard for me to understand how anyone could hate him, I guess that's because he never tooted his own horn, but he certainly had enough material to employ a full orchestra.

Ed

i knew a lot about him that you wrote about, and you did a fine job.
draft dodger is stupid, anything but.
as to mexicans, hispanics, etc. Greg did not like the word illegal. Neither did I. And i have various times more than once commented on the illegal part. We talked about this from time to time. He did have there a picture album of his time down south which i have seen, and the people he was friends with. There was no racism envolved there. It's the illegal part, the drug running, the narco;s.
i have been accused of similar things which i find funny as he did. Given my half sister that looks like a pima indian for a reason, and the number of crossbred people in my family with spanish/hispanic/indian roots.
He was not a native of this state but he was native to this state if that makes any sense. After knowing him as many years as i did, he reminded me in so many ways of an old arizona cowboy, the type that i grew up, that were reflective on an earlier age. That was Greg.
We didn't always get along and a time or two he really pizzed me off, i don't remember why now, but he was my friend. I have a lot of people i know, but few i would label that way. And it's gonna be a bitch running that country down there, knowing he is not there now.
on second thought i should add one thing i have expressed at other times. The first time my wife was with me at his place. We had a fine visit with him and his mother. He was pretty proud of his trees and went and picked a bunch of peaches for my wife, cause he knew she baked. Upon leaving, he approached her, snagged her hand, bent over, and kissed her hand. Very old country. He could be ornery as all get out, but he was also a gentleman.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/20/17.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect there's not a man alive who knew Greg and didn't have some burn scars on his ass.

Including me.

Curious how it works out, but most all profited from the experience. No pain no gain?

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I have been pleased to have corresponded with Greg quite a bit over the years and I feel a better man to have been friends--albeit in a cyber sense, having never net the man in person-- with Greg. As many here have written, the man didn't suffer fools well and before Greg and I became friends there was some measure of nastiness between us. One evening in particular years ago we butted heads together on an exchange here on the forum, and it got fairly close to morphing into something kind of ugly. By the night's end before signing off I had a hunch he was just as half-shytfaced as I was and so I took a shot in the dark and asked for and got his number via PM. I called him and in a few minutes we were cracking up. That was the end of the nastiness betwixt us. From about that time forward he liked to refer to me as the 'inscrutable one'. I in turn called him 'El Jefe'.

I was on a small email cc list of his, and he would occasionally pass on something he thought was neat, something he was working on or was otherwise deemed by him to be interesting to the small group. I would sometimes do the same. Last year some time he wrote to the group and described having made a custom firearm component from scratch with high-end materials that he had been consigned to make for a customer on the word of the customer that payment for materials and labor would be passed along in full upon completion of the project. Well, that didn't happen and the customer essentially screwed Greg. Greg, naturally, was livid. He described what it was, and offered it to the group for what he had into it for materials only. Now, truth be told I had no use for the thing but being a guy who can appreciate finely made things, things put together by someone passionate about what they were doing and whose hands and skills literally brought it to life, well, I told him to box it up and where to send it, and told him that I'd get payment out to him directly, just as soon as I got his address. When he had received the payment, he could ship.

Well, it turns out the guy trusted me at my word, as the day after I sent payment the thing arrived at my home. This of course before the payment got to him. I was, and am thrilled at owning something so well made, and made literally from scratch. Every so often I'll remember I own it, who made it and where it was born. I'll got into my study, pull it out of the drawer it lives in and unwrap it, and fondle it's smoothness and marvel at the skill required to make sure a fine thing to such precise tolerances and strength. Greg contacted me a couple days later when my payment arrived, and thanked me far too many times for it. When I went to send the payment (no [bleep] checks, CASH ONLY if you please! wink ) I'd decided that giving a man money only for the material cost he had into it was dead wrong, and even though I never said anything about it when I agreed to buy it, had sent him about double what he had in it in terms of materials cost. Still, in hindsight I came out was ahead on that deal, as I have something that came from the hands and head and heart of a man I respected, enjoyed engaging with and learning something from virtually every time I interacted with him.

I'm sorry as hell Roger and I didn't get out to share a fire with you, but perhaps some day we will still, in another place. Give 'em hell, Jefe.

Your Inscrutable friend,

LNH

Very cool L. He was definitely a one of a kind.

"no [bleep] checks, CASH ONLY if you please! wink "

Lol! Yep! We cussed at each other a bit over that. Fuggin' USPS lost a magazine stuffed with cash I had sent him for payment, and when it didn't show up I immediately sent out a MO. He didn't like that smile

In fact just this morning I was going back and looking at old emails from him. I didn't always understand him or his positions, but always respected him.

I'm sure he's riding on an angel's wings............wings powered by a 2 stroke diesel with a welding arc flyin' from her arse!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
he might have missed his calling? he might have made a first=class Marine Corps DI?

in a different incarnation, he probably could have played the role?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im just stunned by Greg’s passing. I really wish i could have met him in person, but remember lessons he tought me well. RIP my friend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just got back from a deer hunt to find this. My wife walked into my office a minute ago and asked why I had tears in my eyes. I told her they were from a good man's passing.

I'm heartsick.

Rest In Peace, Greg and Gracie.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Leighton, You Sir are a class act!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Very sad news,RIP

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm very sad to read this re Cross-.

Page 25 of 38 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.