Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
pete53,

300 WinMag isn't even a medium bore, it's a small bore.

"..........Small-bore refers to calibers with a diameter of .32 inches or smaller. It may also refer to small-bore rifle competition. The medium-bore refers to calibers with a diameter between .33 inches up to .39 inches and large-bore refers to calibers with a diameter of .40 inches or larger..........."

Chew on that for a while, and let us know if you feel better, or worse........grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by magshooter1
IIRC the way it used to be was .30 cal. and under was small bore, .31 to .400 was medium bore and above .400 was considered large bore.

That's still where I'm at.

Pretty much but sometimes I pick nits over the 40-43's being true big bores vs. large mediums.

As far as the pistol cartridges, that's a tough one because the 454, 475 and 500's from 6" barrels are achieving the same or higher performance as a black powder 45-70 rifle. Those 350-450 gr loads will clock upwards of 1700 fps in a rifle length barrel.

I can't imagine anyone who's fired a 458 lott would ever consider a 300 mag a big bore.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got a 458 lott and 416 rigby,but those guns are to much for animals in America,but I guess bore size to many is important,mine is a powerful accurate longer range lever gun I can carry many miles and I guess I was wrong to ask if its considered big bore in this group .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once again, the operative word is BORE. Dat be the hole in the barrel. The word "Big" refers to size of said "bore"

.30 is considered "small".

The CASE used for the .300 mag is rather large in relation to its bore, not the largest, but kinda big. There are bigger.

Yes, it is powerful and capable of long range. I've owned and hunted with .300 Winmag rifles and have a lot of respect for their accuracy and power. It is a versatile round.

I think you'd find your .300 WinMag more destructive to deer and similar sized animals than either the .458 Lott or the 416 Rigby loaded with the usual bullets used in those rounds. You should try them some time or another on deer, just be advised of their penetrative properties. You'd be surprised at the lack of destruction.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes if the hunter uses a poorer cheap bullet and makes a poor shot any bullet tears a terrible hole,that`s why I use barnes- x bullets and swift a-frames, part of the problem is these cheaper bullets have a thinner jacket. when I hunted Wyoming for 15 years my dear friend had a wild game butcher shop ,that I stayed at and the first 10 days we took in around 300 wild game animals about 30 a day, I skinned at least half of them every day or more and in the mourning caped at least 15 heads out myself too , it was nuts there ,fun and learned a lot about guns,bullets, people`s shooting skills and what happens to bullets on many different wild animals., I asked many questions about guns,cartridges, bullets used ,scopes and even knives so I am well aware about all cartridges and what all bores can do. I seen some real nightmares come into that game shop all shot up badly.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot cast bullets from Wheel Weights............no problem.

Seen big things killed with cast..........cleanly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your big-bores will still do less damage.

You'd really be surprised at how little damage they do to deer sized game.

You just have to decide if you want to put up with the recoil.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"my question is do many of you guys consider brownings BLR 300 WIN. MAG a big bore"?

No. I don't even consider my 450-400 Nitro Express a big bore (it is a medium bore in my book).

You are free to call your .300 Winchester Magnum whatever you want. But you did ask for opinions....so there is mine.

Last edited by Tarbe; 11/08/17.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pete, how's the recoil in that .300 mag Browning? I love lever guns, got a bunch of Winchester, Marlin, and Savage levers but I don't have a BLR and that .300 sounds interesting.

[Linked Image]

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
the Browning BLR does have recoil, very accurate and the clip works great, bullets points don`t get smashed. this powerful lever gun will kill a animal close and still shoot well a long ways out and with a bi-pod 500 -600 yards should still be accurate with a lot of power too. off my cement bench I have shoot mostly 1/2-3/4 inch groups,at 100 yards ,with a straight 6x leupold. i just developed a load for long range mule deer hunt during rutt with a 130 gr. barnes x-bullet,this load shoots under a 3/4 inch group at about 3300 fps. . yes many say this is a small bore but it does have a lot of advantages from 220 grain down to 100 grain bullets.one of the biggest advantages of this 300 WIN . MAG. is this cartridge is available all over the world. I own a lot of rifles ,shoot a lot of bench guns for competition over the years,but for fun I purchased a couple of BLRs a 308 win and a 300 win. mag I have been very impressed with the accuracy and how these BLR`s can shoot much higher pressure cartridges.my dear friend who was a sniper in the service who protected the U.S.A. President also has always been impressed with a BLR too with its accuracy. Sure many will say its not a big bore and their right ,but this caliber 300 WIN. MAG. is one of the most powerful levers that can hold more than one cartridge,ballistics don`t lie. I do plan on buying a couple more BLR`s ,I do wish Browning built more BLR cartridge choices with longer barrels,since black gun sales are down now just maybe Browning will ? my posts are on the regular gun lever area no longer with big bores, too many get upset with my question and its NOT but its a heck of a lever gun in a 300 win.mag !

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
the Browning BLR does have recoil, very accurate and the clip works great, bullets points don`t get smashed. this powerful lever gun will kill a animal close and still shoot well a long ways out and with a bi-pod 500 -600 yards should still be accurate with a lot of power too. off my cement bench I have shoot mostly 1/2-3/4 inch groups,at 100 yards ,with a straight 6x leupold. i just developed a load for long range mule deer hunt during rutt with a 130 gr. barnes x-bullet,this load shoots under a 3/4 inch group at about 3300 fps. . yes many say this is a small bore but it does have a lot of advantages from 220 grain down to 100 grain bullets.one of the biggest advantages of this 300 WIN . MAG. is this cartridge is available all over the world. I own a lot of rifles ,shoot a lot of bench guns for competition over the years,but for fun I purchased a couple of BLRs a 308 win and a 300 win. mag I have been very impressed with the accuracy and how these BLR`s can shoot much higher pressure cartridges.my dear friend who was a sniper in the service who protected the U.S.A. President also has always been impressed with a BLR too with its accuracy. Sure many will say its not a big bore and their right ,but this caliber 300 WIN. MAG. is one of the most powerful levers that can hold more than one cartridge,ballistics don`t lie. I do plan on buying a couple more BLR`s ,I do wish Browning built more BLR cartridge choices with longer barrels,since black gun sales are down now just maybe Browning will ? my posts are on the regular gun lever area no longer with big bores, too many get upset with my question and its NOT but its a heck of a lever gun in a 300 win.mag !

It isn't your love of the 300 .....it's the fact you ask a question and if anyone gives an answer you don't like you keep bragging on all your guns and what an great shot you are and telling them they are wrong.

If you know everything.......why do you ask questions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're not mad at your questions, you just didn't happen to like our answer. I agree your .300 Win Mag lever is a powerhouse, but if we were on Kodiak I'd rather have my .45-70 than your range.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What did Churchill say about "compressing the least amount of thought into the most words"?

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sharps4590
What did Churchill say about "compressing the least amount of thought into the most words"?

Signature line worthy.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
I like leverguns and I like lever action cartridges. The .300 Win Mag isn't one though.

they are in the browning blr.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think anybody would agree that the 300 WinMag is a powerhouse chambering in the BLR.

It's still a small bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the Browning BLR does have recoil

I would expect it has recoil, I guess I should have ask if it has more recoil in that design than a bolt action rifle. Years ago I had a German made .300 Weatherby and that rifle didn't seem to have much recoil at all....of coarse I was a lot younger then. smile

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
longhunter : it might have a little more recoil than a light bolt action rifle ?? I am 64 years of age believe me the way that BLR handles,shoots and its power its worth it,to have the advantage of long range accuracy in a lever gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You've got my curiosity up. I'm going to watch for one. Thanks for the info.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My Ruger #3 and #1 have levers should I post in the lever action forum? j/k

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.