Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image]

I am MAGA.
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim, back in the early 70's, I started reading Fur Fish and Game magazine. WOW, was there a wealth of knowledge in those mags.

Not sure if they are around today. Stories from trappers each month from around the nation

Wonder if anyone ever scanned any of them and put them on the old interweb

Last edited by Owl; 03/25/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I pick up a copy when I find one.

Probably should just go ahead and subscribe.

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Coming a little late to the party but....I used andy stoe's speed dip, you mix it with gas dip the traps and hang them up to dry. Super quick and easy and yes your traps smell like gas and no the animals don't care. Really good stuff. I make all dirt hole sets baited with meat and with two different gland lures in the hole as well. The important thing with k9 trapping is bed you traps firm if they feel it move at all they will dig it up. Make sure your trap cant freeze some guys use waxed dirt i use peat moss and non freezing fertilizer balls (cant remember the name). I started last year with my son and we had a blast. Watch lots of youtube videos, and remember to have fun.

Last edited by avfromvt; 03/25/18.
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I just bought a copy yesterday.. One of the few magazines I still buy!!!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Jim, fender washer anchors hold good and are much cheaper though the driver costs more than a plain steel rod. I have them on all of my dog proofs and cable restraints (we can only use lethal snares under water in MO.).
I made both my driver and a puller from scrap. With the puller almost all of the anchors can be pulled... I have had a very few that caught on a tree root or rock where the j-hook straightened out.

If you're going to use exposed bait at coyote sets I'd run my pan tension pretty high to avoid learning how to release the hawks and eagles that show up. If you lightly cover your bait with dirt, pine needles, leaves or what have you it will work just as well and not draw in the flying sight hunters and scavengers.

In a pinch, sifted anthill dirt can be used as a trap covering... it's not as good as waxed dirt in a long rainy period but does seem to have some water resistance.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I just bought a copy yesterday.. One of the few magazines I still buy!!!

I used to subscribe to a dozen hunting \ outdoor mags but feel most have gone down hill of the 3 mags I still subscribe to I think Fur, Fish and Game is the best!

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't read the whole thread, but...... The latest FF&G has an ad for the Montana Trappers Association hosting the 17th Annual National Trappers Association "Western Regional Trapping & Outdoor Expo" in Livingston, June 1-2. Road trip!

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not me.... Just a picture I found on the internet. But surely reminds me of myself back in 1978-1979. Including the badger.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Richard boy and I set a couple dog proofs after dinner.

Think we have a coon bothering.

We used cable stakes, cat food, Lennons, and fish oil.

Richard boy is very excited.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to deal with a Coon yesterday Jim. I thought about sending you the hide but I'm pretty sure it died of rabies. smile

Speaking of FF&G magazine...they actually printed a picture of me with a big ol Cat I caught about 6-7 years ago.

That's the closest I ever came to getting my fifteen minutes of fame......it turned out to only be about fifteen seconds though. frown

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I had to deal with a Coon yesterday Jim. I thought about sending you the hide but I'm pretty sure it died of rabies. smile

Speaking of FF&G magazine...they actually printed a picture of me with a big ol Cat I caught about 6-7 years ago.

That's the closest I ever came to getting my fifteen minutes of fame......it turned out to only be about fifteen seconds though. frown

[Linked Image]

beautiful cat

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.