-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am wondering what the consensus is on the newer redesigned Weaver Grand Slam rifle scopes. I’m particularly interested in thoughts on the 3-12x and 4-16x models for open-country deer and Pronghorn hunting.

Positive or negative, all comments welcome. Thanks.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had the 3-12x for awhile. I thought it was well made and it tracked really well. I thought it was comparable to a vx2 glass wise. I wasn't crazy about the eye relief and the eye box seemed a little finicky. My impression was at full price there are better options but they are a steal at some of the sale prices. I think the BDC type reticle is etched

Last edited by lantx; 10/26/17.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lantx
Had the 3-12x for awhile. I thought it was well made and it tracked really well. I thought it was comparable to a vx2 glass wise. I wasn't crazy about the eye relief and the eye box seemed a little finicky. My impression was at full price there are better options but they are a steal at some of the sale prices. I think the BDC type reticle is etched

Well, I can get the Weaver GS at an extremely good price but I wouldn’t give $200.00 for a VX-2 (unless it was to flip it quickly for a small profit) because I can get better glass at that price. In fact, I don’t start even remotely liking Leupold glass until about the VX-5 HD level.

This is disappointing. At the LGS last weekend, I much preferred the glass on the $249.00, Chinese-made Bushnell Trophy Xtreme to the $369.00 Leupold VX-2.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 10/26/17.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

Well, I can get the Weaver GS at an extremely good price but I wouldn’t give $200.00 for a VX-2 (unless it was to flip it quickly for a small profit) because I can get better glass at that price. In fact, I don’t start even remotely liking Leupold glass until about the VX-5 HD level.

This is disappointing.

I currently have a 3-12x50 and I have owned the 2-8x32, 4-16x44, and 5-20x50. The eye relief is fairly short on all of them. In terms of resolution, the Weaver is much better than a Leupold VX-2 and VX-3. To my eye the Weaver's resolution is better than my previous Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42, but not as good as my Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.

I had a problem with one of the 3-12x42's not moving it's windage the advertised range and they replaced it with the 3-12x50.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

This is disappointing. At the LGS last weekend, I much preferred the glass on the $249.00, Chinese-made Bushnell Trophy Xtreme to the $369.00 Leupold VX-2.

I didnt think it was optically a bad scope by any means. It will get you to the end of legal hunting time for sure. However, it didn't seem close to hd5, vx6, Z3 quality glass to my eyes. I got the Natchez catalog a few days ago and the Grand Slams are on sale in the $250 range if interested

IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Are we talking about this:
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re...-3-12x42mm-33-0-8-4-3-46-3-19-matte.html

Haven't seen any real reviews of the "redesigned" but they would have to be pretty glowing before I would ever put something that looked like that on one of my rifles, and I'm a real fan of the Classic K series and "original" Grans slam line

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I got a 2-8 and am very happy with it. The Natcheez sale has them for $150 I think. No other scope can touch it for $150

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When did the 're-design' take place? I bought a GS last year and it needed to be redesigned so badly I sent bit back...only time I ever returned a scope...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
When did the 're-design' take place? I bought a GS last year and it needed to be redesigned so badly I sent bit back...only time I ever returned a scope...

I believe in 2015.

Why did you send it back? Did it fail or did something not work right? Did the glass suck? Did you hate the aesthetics? Did you not like it because it worked differently than other scopes you have?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been buying Weaver grand slams me and also for giving to guys I hunt with.
The reticles are thick enough to see.
They are a great value.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still made in Japan?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by GeoW
Still made in Japan?

Yup.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have the 3-12x42. I much prefer my 2.5-12.5x42 Accupoints, but they also cost 4x as much. The Weavers are great for the money. Not quite as sharp as my NXS but pretty close. The eye-relief is 3.2" at 12x. The 4" scopes have spoiled us.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe

I believe in 2015.

Why did you send it back? Did it fail or did something not work right? Did the glass suck? Did you hate the aesthetics? Did you not like it because it worked differently than other scopes you have?

Just earlier this year...the cross hairs were heavy, the eye relief sucked big time, and the eye box was critical. Eye relief was the big issue....it worked like other scopes...just not nearly as well....

Mine MIGHT have been made before the redesign as I got a whopper 'close-out' deal on it....

Last edited by ingwe; 10/28/17.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The way you mount your scopes I can see why you'd want long eye relief. You do know you're not supposed to rest the butt on your chin when you shoot right ?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.