Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don't think that "demanding" is gong to accomplish anything. They know exactly what they're doing. It's a business decision.

I don't expect a lightweight hunting scope to take the kind of abuse you put that Tract through, but it needs to stand up to recoil (stress in the expected direction) and hold zero. I can even put up with some vagueness in the adjustments as long as it stays put once sighted in, pretty much what classic hunting scopes did for years.

People put up a demand for "long range" scopes... look what happened.

I mean everyone has their choices if it's ok with you that your scope is fragile... rock on.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for the test Sam! And Wow the fixed Leupold actually did better than the Toric!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Did the scopes hit harder than it looks? Appears that the grass and leaves made for a pretty cush landing....
Recoil seems like it would be harder on the scope than that.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Did the scopes hit harder than it looks? Appears that the grass and leaves made for a pretty cush landing....

I knock mine around much more than that, just in normal hunting. You should have seen the wipe out I did the other day. I had to look for my rifle. Corks from here on out...(grin)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah - truly enlightening to see how hardcore some of you guys "hunt". Duly noted when these same people have any opinion of gear or well, pretty much anything...

Never fallen with your rifle? Laughable...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've gone back to iron sights.

I can't guess how many rifles I've had to 'retrieve' over the years. The worse is having to wait 3 hours for the tide to drop before you can get your rifle back.

Last edited by Steelhead; 10/29/17.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dang, this thread is depressing. Do I have a chance in hades of killing anything this year, or should I start scope shopping now? I can always put my SS 3-9x42 on that 7-08 if I have to (helluva good scope IMO).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/29/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Yeah - truly enlightening to see how hardcore some of you guys "hunt". Duly noted when these same people have any opinion of gear or well, pretty much anything...

A couple of years ago I launched my rifle from the ATV, case and all (mount broke). Looked like a wagon wheel for about 10 yards. Yes, I did have to re-zero! Dropped mine several times in Namiiba, mostly the low hanging branches and such would snag it off my shoulder.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Most manufacturers do not test or build scope for side impacts. It's amazing how little it takes to knock one off.

JG,

That green rifle is as ugly as I've ever seen......

Can I have it?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Never said I haven't fallen. Said I've never dropped my rifle. Big difference. In fact I've fallen several times. It's inevitable when hunting steep country in snow/ice/mud/. My rifle has never been allowed to hit the ground yet however. I guess some of us are just more coordinated and/or know how to negotate steep terrain while keeping our rifles from harm better than others. Thinking back, I've hunted many years with my dad, brothers and friends and can't recall a single rifle dropped among any of us.

Last edited by Blackheart; 10/29/17.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider

A couple of years ago I launched my rifle from the ATV, case and all (mount broke). Looked like a wagon wheel for about 10 yards. Yes, I did have to re-zero! Dropped mine several times in Namiiba, mostly the low hanging branches and such would snag it off my shoulder.

Laughing with you...

I've had some interesting falls as well....

- Greg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang, this thread is depressing. Do I have a chance in hades of killing anything this year, or should I start scope shopping now? I can always put my SS 3-9x42 on that 7-08 if I have to (helluva good scope IMO).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What's in the little silver box?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

JG,

That green rifle is as ugly as I've ever seen......

Can I have it?

smile I need some mil/mil lessons.......maybe we can work something out.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've gone back to iron sights.

I can't guess how many rifles I've had to 'retrieve' over the years. The worse is having to wait 3 hours for the tide to drop before you can get your rifle back.

That's definitely an interesting problem Scott....grin..

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston

What's in the little silver box?

Ammo case that goes with me to Africa. It's required.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I pulled a good one a while back. I leaned my rifle against my back tire after getting done calling. Put my gear up,except for my rifle, and drove off. Made it a little ways before I realized I left my rifle against the tire. I went back and there it was in the dirt,where it had fallen.I took it home and checked the zero. It was still spot on,no adjustments needed. A well bedded Mc Milan stock,a good pic rail and a SS 3x15 scope. It just never moves, even when it probably should.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
atse, if I may hijack for a minute.....how do you like that SS 3-15? In talking to my mentor the other day (GregW), I complained to him that while I really have warmed up to my 3-9 SS, my 56 yr old eyeballs sometimes like more magnification. He suggested it may be one for me to consider. What say you?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don't think that "demanding" is gong to accomplish anything. They know exactly what they're doing. It's a business decision.

I don't expect a lightweight hunting scope to take the kind of abuse you put that Tract through, but it needs to stand up to recoil (stress in the expected direction) and hold zero. I can even put up with some vagueness in the adjustments as long as it stays put once sighted in, pretty much what classic hunting scopes did for years.

People put up a demand for "long range" scopes... look what happened.

I mean everyone has their choices if it's ok with you that your scope is fragile... rock on.

I'd say scope makers responded to a developing market, which isn't quite the same thing, but whatever.

As far as "fragile" scopes are concerned, I'm willing to trade off some durability for a reduction in weight, better eye relief, compactness, and a good hunting reticle. Almost 50 years experience has proven that's a good compromise for me. I've never had a scope break in the field, or even fog up internally, and in the past I hunted in whatever weather happened along when I was able to get out. I don't bang my rifles around on ATVs or the back of pickups and I'm careful to set them down so they won't fall over. Over the years, ordinary Weavers (El Paso), Leupolds, and even a few Bushnells have worked perfectly fine in set-and-forget mode, with Leupolds being the most satisfactory in general. Now that I have the time and a place to fiddle around on a range a good bit, I'm also interested in scopes that have accurate and consistent adjustments. That ain't any Leupold I've ever had, so I bought a 6x SS last Spring, and it works like everybody said it would, but it's not a good scope for a lot of the hunting I do mostly because the reticle is too fine for dim light (proven, not just rumor) and it's too bulky for poking through the bushes. Put low, covered turrets on it and give it a good duplex like the SHV or something like the TPlex in the Tracts and I'll buy at least three of them. In the mean time, I bought a heavily discounted Japanese Tract Tekoa, and I'm hoping for the best. In the event one of my Leupolds fails or I just get an itch, I'll probably get an 3-10 SHV with the Forceplex as that seems to combine just about everything I want and is sturdy as well. I can do $850 for all that.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Its a great scope. I like the knobs on the 3x9 better as they are smaller and stiffer. The turrets on the 3x15 can get moved accidentally once in a while. The glass is still very good,and the 2 that we have, are rock solid reliable. Always return to zero ect. ect. I do most of my hunting with it,although I think the 3x9 is a better hunting scope due to reticle size, and the turrets .

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

smile I need some mil/mil lessons......

Give me a shout anytime.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.