Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've looked on Ebay, and there are a ton of stocks for the Howa/Vanguard rifles.....but most are either advertised as being made by Hogue, or else they look like a Hogue. Which is exactly what I do not want. I know it's a matter of pricing, but it appears to me that Howa would wake up and realize that those stocks are probably costing them some sales.

You can buy a new current production Weatherby Vanguard2 "Griptonite" stock directly from Weatherby for $139 plus shipping.

www.weatherby.com

Thanks, I'll look that up.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Neat looking rifle. Especially in authentic Halloween camo... Homesteader

My Daughter called it "The Pumpkin" the first time she saw it, right after I put it together.

The name has stuck. I don't normally name rifles, but everyone in my hunting circle calls it that.

It's the rifle I carry the most, so it sees a fair amount of use.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340boy
Vic, I like the looks of that! What does it weigh, all up?

It weighs seven pounds nekkid. Sling and 4 cartridges aren't real heavy.

Howa's definition of Lightweight is a little different than others, and I don't like them too much lighter.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I took a Howa Lightning 308 with a fixed 6 weaver and 3 shells and a sling bedded into a high tech specialties stock and on a postage scale the gun weighed just a touch under 7 lbs. The whole gun felt a lot better after the stock change and was worth the expense.

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by 340boy
Vic, I like the looks of that! What does it weigh, all up?

It weighs seven pounds nekkid. Sling and 4 cartridges aren't real heavy.

Howa's definition of Lightweight is a little different than others, and I don't like them too much lighter.

That sounds like a good weight, for carrying and shooting, both.

All hail the Pumpkin!! grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by TDN
Don't overlook the Bansner/High-Tech/LAW stocks.

They have them on the Howa Alpine's and can be had for (usually 300 unfinished, or $300-400 finished/used) the Howa and can come in around 24-26oz and would do you well.

Beat me to it!

Yeah, this, definitely. The Hogue is a boat anchor. My Alpine rifle had a Bansner stock that was a complete game-changer in terms of handling. They're also among the best-looking stocks I've ever seen. A Howa will never be a true lightweight, but that's not always a bad thing. A Bansner stock will shift the balance well forward, which will make it hang very nicely for offhand shooting.

Okie John

I had to make a quick trip to Owensboro, KY yesterday, and made short stop at Whitakers. They had several of the Howa Alpine rifles in stock, and the stock on them is among the best looking and fitting stocks I've seen. If Howa can put a stock like that on their top end rifle, surely they could find something of an improvement for the stocks on their other rifles.

Yes. Hogue overmolded stocks need to go away forever.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to posting to this forum, but have been reading and getting helpful info from here for awhile... Does anyone have an idea on the weight of the Vanguard 2 "griptonite" stock? I was pleased to find out that these are available to purchase directly from weatherby. I have a Howa 1500 6.5 creed that I bought a few months ago. Great rifle. Shoots the barnes 127 gr LRX into nice little groups. However, as everyone has already said, the hogue stock sucks. I bought the rifle with the plan of replacing the stock but haven't yet. If the "griptonite" would save me 6+ ozs. it might be just what I'm looking for. If not, I'll probably go B and C.

As an aside, the Howa I got was the Kuiu version, which is available with the light contour 20" barrel, and the milled out bolt knob and receiver. This makes the usually portly Howa action a little more svelte. And it comes from the factory with cerakote. Also, the hogue stock is dipped in a Kuiu camo, which I could care less about, and I'll probably be selling once the new stock is determined. Cool thing is, this is exactly the Howa Alpine Mountain rifle, just without the nice light Banser/LAW stock... But for $499 from sportsmans warehouse... Worth checking out if anyone is in the market.

Thanks,
Andrew

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
HS precision has a few options available for the 1500. Might be worth checking out.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I have two Sako Classics in standard fill and one Sako Hunter in EDGE. I much prefer the feel and weight of the Sako Hunter EDGE to the other two. But the Classic looks more better. Either way you won't end up with a horribly light gun though.

That being said, the Basner/Do It Yourself thing would be pretty tempting. irfubar has a couple and they're nice.

Even more tempting would be to trip your current rig and buy an Alpine in the 6.5 Creed.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
trip your current rig and buy an Alpine in the 6.5 Creed.

I fight that impulse every day.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
trip your current rig and buy an Alpine in the 6.5 Creed.

I fight that impulse every day.

I handled one at Whitakers the other day, and it almost went home with me.

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

I have two Sako Classics in standard fill and one Sako Hunter in EDGE. I much prefer the feel and weight of the Sako Hunter EDGE to the other two. But the Classic looks more better. Either way you won't end up with a horribly light gun though.

That being said, the Basner/Do It Yourself thing would be pretty tempting. irfubar has a couple and they're nice.

Even more tempting would be to trip your current rig and buy an Alpine in the 6.5 Creed.

Travis

Travis,
Thanks much for the info. Lots of options out there, more than I would have thought.
As far as my Howa 6.5 Swede goes, I love the caliber, and the rifle, other than that blasted stock, is very impressive. However, I might just buy a 6.5 Creed at some point anyway?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Then I would order a McMillan or hope to find a used one.

I take it you need a LA?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 1500 in that dang Hogue stock. It's like carrying a heavy 4x4 post around. But the damn thing just is an incredible shooter. I am scared to mess with anything, sure as hell if I so much as pull it out of the stock once it'll be an ordinary MOA rifle and I just cannot make myself mess with it. The damn thing will almost produce round hole groups when I have a good day.

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Then I would order a McMillan or hope to find a used one.

I take it you need a LA?

Travis

Yessir, though I still always have a hard time thinking of the 6.5X55 as a 'long' action cartridge? I mean, when I think 'Long Action'' I think something on an ought-six case and the Swede is sort of a 'inbetweener' that way. laugh

James Elroy Flecker

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,777
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.