Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 45ACP seems to be about what I have with me in the woods all the time, the 10mm's I have tried were fine I guess. The 45 has more attributes that I personally care for, low cost practice ammo, a few dB lower noise level, more commonly found on shelves, and seems to be about the same as what people are killing deer with in a 300bo subsonic, so I cannot convince myself to buy another 10. Damn near bought another 4 inch 1911 gun the other day, a used springfield champion with aluminum frame..

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
IMHO, sd is a bullchit meaningless number when one get's away from the key board and starts shooting stuff with different bullet diameters, weights and velocities.

I can shoot 200 gr .35 caliber bullets over 1200 fps and 160's over 1500 fps from my 357 magnum, must be even better than the 10mm?

What matters is that you have enough momentum to penetrate to sufficient depth to reach the vitals, once you've achieved that for a given caliber, the only way to increase the wound channel diameter is to increase the bullet diameter.

Penetration tests show that bullet weight is more important than sd when it comes to determining how far a projectile penetrates. Go ahead, load bullets of the same sd in a .35, .40, .45, .475 and .500, launch them at 800, 1000 and 1200 fps.

Quoted for truth. Hunt up the Linebaugn Seminar Penetration Tests for further education.

Kinetic energy never killed a damn thing except time that could have been spent in the woods.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO
bullet weight is more important than sd when it comes to determining how far a projectile penetrates.

It only requires a mental experiment to debunk that concept. Consider a pie plate traveling 100 MPH, bottom-first, vs an arrow of the same weight traveling at the same speed. Which do you imagine will penetrate further into your flesh? Naturally, this is provable with real experiments, too.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
[bullet weight is more important than sd when it comes to determining how far a projectile penetrates.

It only requires a mental experiment to debunk that concept. Consider a pie plate traveling 100 MPH, bottom-first, vs an arrow of the same weight traveling at the same speed. Which do you imagine will penetrate further into your flesh? Naturally, this is provable with real experiments, too.

What if the arrow turns sideways on impact? Longer bullets often yaw or tumble and lose any theoretical penetration bestowed by a calculator. Every bullet has a velocity and spin that results in a performance sweet spot. A calculator can be used in an attempt to narrow the choices for a particular use, but the calculator or mental experiments don't debunk consistent actual results.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
From what I have read and in my own expansion/penetrations tests, Sectional Density mainly relates to non-expanding bullets of equal construction and nose design.

If one was moose hunting with a .45 Colt, I have not heard of many people who would load a 230 grain LBT WFN when they could load a 290 of the same construction. The SD of the 230 is .161 where the 290 is .195. But that same hunter if choosing a .41 Magnum would choose a 230 grain bullet that has the same SD as a 290 grain .45 over a 200 grain bullet which has a .169 SD.

Dick has shot the length of a moose with a 230 grain .41 bullet at about 1100 fps. A .45 230 at the same speed having a larger frontal area and more squat design isn't going to go as far. Where bullet weight is going to become important is running into large bones...

When it comes to HPs all bets are off as the HP design, jacket thickness and core hardness determines how fast it slows down. The original SuperVel 180 grain .44 Magnum JHPs were made NOT to expand. They would run trough as many jugs of water jugs as you could put on a table. Replace that bullet with a 180 grain Sierra JHC and it would not make four jugs. I read an article from Lee Jurras stating that is how he designed that bullet...all velocity and no expansion. LEOs who used that round shot right through cars and people. Yet I have two friends who shot BGs with the Remington 240 grain scallop JHPs and the bullets expanded into large mushrooms and stayed in the body.

As said...got to compare apples to apples...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Though I can't prove it, I would wager the old cap and ball revolvers firing a round ball, experienced greater results on target with regards to "fight stopping" impact, than did bullets fired out of the same revolvers. Bullets undoubtedly offered greater penetration and perhaps accuracy out to ranges, but the profile of the ball seems to offer a darn good ballistic shape for a fighting projectile. I know the fox I shot experienced a significant wound channel.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
bullet weight is more important than sd when it comes to determining how far a projectile penetrates.

The discussion is bullets, not arrows, not pie tins. Go shoot some bullets of various weights and calibers into a medium of your choice, you might learn something.

How about this mental excercise, take a radical hollowpoint, full wadcutter, WFN, LFN, SWC, round nose, pointed nose make some of pure lead and others of hardened lead in .45 caliber 230 gr and launch them all at 850 fps. All these bullets are the exact same sd, same energy, same momentum. You will find a dramatic difference in how the various bullets perform.

Why is that? Because sectional density is a meaningless number that has zero correlation to terminal performance.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow, such a heated discussion for two proven rounds. Proven for different things, but both good in their own niche. You might find a few rounds between 45 and 10 that have similar performance profiles in terms of external and terminal ballistics, but the big difference between the two is the design pressures. 45ACP +P is 23,000psi and the 10mm is 37,500psi. Sure bullet design comes into play, but the big deal here is that the 10mm has a lot more horsepower on tap. SD, BC, weight, all that matters and are variables that can be manipulated for a desired outcome, but a V6 engine will never be a V8.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Though I can't prove it, I would wager the old cap and ball revolvers firing a round ball, experienced greater results on target with regards to "fight stopping" impact, than did bullets fired out of the same revolvers. Bullets undoubtedly offered greater penetration and perhaps accuracy out to ranges, but the profile of the ball seems to offer a darn good ballistic shape for a fighting projectile. I know the fox I shot experienced a significant wound channel.

Dan, I believe Elmer Keith said exactly that.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Wow, such a heated discussion for two proven rounds. Proven for different things, but both good in their own niche. You might find a few rounds between 45 and 10 that have similar performance profiles in terms of external and terminal ballistics, but the big difference between the two is the design pressures. 45ACP +P is 23,000psi and the 10mm is 37,500psi. Sure bullet design comes into play, but the big deal here is that the 10mm has a lot more horsepower on tap. SD, BC, weight, all that matters and are variables that can be manipulated for a desired outcome, but a V6 engine will never be a V8.

True, the 10mm is a V6 turbo, the 45 is a V8 wink

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

True, the 10mm is a V6 turbo, the 45 is a V8 wink

LOL. grin

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
An officer I know in a different county took a 180gr bullet out of a 10mm in the center of his body armor. He said it sucked real bad.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What load is a slouch in the 45 a.c.p. as a defensive round?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s a cool idea though. I automatically defer to the 230 grain JHP and have no doubt in its defensive fire power.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JWD8310
An officer I know in a different county took a 180gr bullet out of a 10mm in the center of his body armor. He said it sucked real bad.

...tell him it could have sucked a lot worse....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LKZy5-y64

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM

kind of sad to say it, but reconize i think the trash heap they were shooting at, just north of phx off of the carefree highway, west of ben avery.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM

well,
the enabler or mentor did it again,
i ordered some 10mm, 9mm, and 357mag in that penetrator round. yousa!!!!!

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
U R welcome Ron.....

I carry that ammo in my .38 Super, 10mm G40 and Kahr P380...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
IMO a 45 Super kit on your 45 makes it a dead heat . A Rowland conversion give you anything the 10 can do and more.

Actually the 10mm is lower on the food chain when compared to the 45 Super in my experience. The 180 grain XTP in my 10mm penetrated @ 1300 plus FPS as di the 230 grain 45 Super at 1100 FPS plus the difference was the 45 Super had a much larger expanded bullet with a much larger wound channel.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I like a 230 grain .45 for defense. I like a 180 grain 10MM for hunting. Different tools for different jobs.

Originally Posted by RJM
From what I have read and in my own expansion/penetrations tests, Sectional Density mainly relates to non-expanding bullets of equal construction and nose design.

If one was moose hunting with a .45 Colt, I have not heard of many people who would load a 230 grain LBT WFN when they could load a 290 of the same construction. The SD of the 230 is .161 where the 290 is .195. But that same hunter if choosing a .41 Magnum would choose a 230 grain bullet that has the same SD as a 290 grain .45 over a 200 grain bullet which has a .169 SD.

Dick has shot the length of a moose with a 230 grain .41 bullet at about 1100 fps. A .45 230 at the same speed having a larger frontal area and more squat design isn't going to go as far. Where bullet weight is going to become important is running into large bones...

When it comes to HPs all bets are off as the HP design, jacket thickness and core hardness determines how fast it slows down. The original SuperVel 180 grain .44 Magnum JHPs were made NOT to expand. They would run trough as many jugs of water jugs as you could put on a table. Replace that bullet with a 180 grain Sierra JHC and it would not make four jugs. I read an article from Lee Jurras stating that is how he designed that bullet...all velocity and no expansion. LEOs who used that round shot right through cars and people. Yet I have two friends who shot BGs with the Remington 240 grain scallop JHPs and the bullets expanded into large mushrooms and stayed in the body.

As said...got to compare apples to apples...

SD is most defiantly a useless number even when comparing non expanding Bullets to non expanding. Nose shape and meplat have a much factor in deterring penetration than SD.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

253 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.