Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Or other? Leaning CLE/Douglas barrel just because, but WOA, BHW and others are an option. So many out there it's hard to weed through.
Also, what lo pro gas block? Daniel defense was awarded the mil contract for SPR's, so leaning that way or badger. Currently using a standard Colt 6920 barrel with cut down fsg. Going rifle gas and plan on using suppressor at all times on it so what buffer?

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/28/17.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's a "spring" barrel???????????? Assuming you mean an SPR???

What length.....18"??

Both CLE & WOA will likely recommend a mid-gas barrel if you ask them & I would highly recommend an adjustable gas block for sure..............lots more flexibility to tune the gun with a suppressor.

You can't go wrong with a barrel from either & both are class outfits to deal with............I recently built a gun on a WOA fluted, SPR barrel & it's an excellent choice.

As to a buffer, if you use the adjustable gas block, you will have more flexibility there too; I'd use either an H or H2 with either a Sprinco White (std) or Blue (slightly enhanced) buffer spring & tune with the adjustable gas block.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put mine together with a 1/7 WOA 18" spr mid-length, SLR adjustable block, Sprinco blue spring, and H2 buffer.

The combination has seemed to work good, and is accurate.

I have used Douglas barrels and got great accuracy with that brand, also

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If using a suppressor I'd go rifle length gas system. I've had both of the barrels in question, in that configuration, and both were very accurate and ran smooth either suppressed or un-suppressed. As for gas blocks, any quality steel gas block will work fine. If you have room under your handguard, I prefer clamp on vs. set screw.

Last edited by wareagle700; 10/28/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had CLE and WOA. All I can say is go with the one that's handy for you. You can't go wrong.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
WOA and CLE are good companies but I'd look at the brand of barrel blank they are going to start with above all.

WOA uses Wilson blanks among a few others but CLE also offers Krieger (as does WOP) and I'd take a Krieger over any Douglas or Wilson.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
18". What are the pro/con to mid vs rifle gas? If I go adjustable gas block, which one? Anyone have experience with BHW?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

WOA uses Wilson blanks among a few others but CLE also offers Krieger (as does WOP) and I'd take a Krieger over any Douglas or Wilson.

Krieger is a significant $$$ up-charge from either Douglas or Wilson; CLE will also sell you a Bartlein too, if you want to spring for it..............guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I have a Krieger & also a WOA Wilson, & on any given day there's not really much, if any, difference in their (10 shot accuracy with me behind the stock............I'd like to shoot them on a sled sometime just for the helluva-it.

One advantage of both those barrels over some of the others that I have is that they clean up very easily & patches push through them very smoothly as well.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
18". What are the pro/con to mid vs rifle gas? If I go adjustable gas block, which one?

Assuming you get the setup right, & using the adjustable gas block almost guarantees success, the rifle gassed gun will be smoother.

But if you get the setup on a mid-gassed gun optimized, there won't be much difference between the two.

I have both setups on 18" barrels & I'd give the edge to the rifle gas as being marginally smoother; both are 100% reliable & both will tolerate a variety of ammo.

The mid-gas system gives a little more margin of safety against being under-gassed, IMO. But if the ports are all the right sizes on both, it doesn't matter much.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not tried a 18" with mid length gas but with the rifle gas, I have not had to use an adjustable gas block. The fewer parts I have to fiddle with the better.

The only down side to the rifle length gas I have seen was with weak ammo in a friends rifle (un-suppressed). That was easily fixed by switching to a standard buffer though.

Last edited by wareagle700; 10/29/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Safest bet, by a small margin, then, would be a midlength with standard gas block which ""should" give me the best chance of shooting any round, suppressed or not without having to change buffer/spring?

Still leaning Douglas for some stupid notion that they're the original SPR barrel.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve had 3 Douglas barrels and they all have shot good. I had a CL Krieger SPR at 17” that was the most accurate barrel I’ve had. The 17” was done in between the SPR and RECCE I was told.

Are you going full blown clone?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've yet to have a Douglas over the years shoot really well for me. Ok yes, but not really well.

I have had some Wilsons that shoot better than any Douglas and almost scare you vs the cost at times.

Of course if I needed it right the first time... neither would be my choice, cheap end would be Shilen, high dollar end, obermeyer, Krieger, Rock... lately about all I've bought have been Rock....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Not sure but if I go the clone route, I'll order a pri upper and be done with it. Just taking a 6920 and making it more precision rifle oriented. Keeping two others stock.
Not looking for BR accuracy just MOA or better 5 Rd groups

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5 shot MOA, day in day out, every day is way better than average, now matter what some on here say & most guns absolutely will not do it.

Talk 10 shots & now you've separated the men from the boys.

I've shot 10 shot .600 MOA with this WOA barreled rifle & the target is recorded in the BR Challenge.

MM
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What barrel from WOA? We know they do top line work, but brand of barrel can make a lot of difference in the end.

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wilson, I asked when I bought it & it was just a normal, stock item.

They sell the Shilen's for a premium & stock some, others are special order.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve seen some wilson be just ok, but overall they've been a step above any douglas I've ever owned....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am not an AR knowledge source for certain. Hell was issued an A-1 when I was in.
But, I just ordered a WOA SPR, had them add a railed gas block and railed hand guards to accommodate.
I went with their standard barrel offering. I figured it will shoot better than I can shoot it for my purpose. Mid Length gas and 1-7 twist

Last edited by ldmay375; 10/30/17. Reason: Mid Length gas and 1-7 twist
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good to see Johns work in Wasilla then! He should be all over the place.

No flies at all on CLE either IMHO, just don't like their use of douglas barrels. Have shot a number of CLE Krieger tubes that worked well also!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (44mc, 3333vl, 2UP, 1eyedmule, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.